1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anyone like Bastard Swords?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by jbigdaddy, Jan 31, 2002.

1. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I do, I like the option to wield it with one hand or the choice to add the other hand for more damage. A little dissapointed that there are no really cool Bastard Swords in TOB, or that they havent the option to use it one handed or two. How hard would it have been to add this option to a Bastard Sword?

2. Bastard Swords are cool in DnD, and I might have used them in BG if there were more to choose from. But as there arent any +4 Bastard Swords that I know of..its more a novelty for the begining of the game. I think they just didnt want to do the extra scripting to make it to beable to weild one/two handed.

3. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

A pity, I really love them in AD&D as well. Would have been cool to have in TOB.

4. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] No good bastard swords in ToB!?!?! Foebane is seriously becoming one of my favortie swords ever! Celestial Fury is beginning to get jealous...

"Why bastard you think? No parent?"
    -Cespenar

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited January 31, 2002).]

5. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

I was very sad that the Fury didnt get an upgrade in TOB, surely it deserved an upgrade!

6. I love bg2 Banned

the fury was overpowered as it was without upgrading it stuns opponents on a hit unless save is made, combine it with crom or any other powerful weapon and then can you say "ouch" :)

7. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Upgraded Foebane rocks! With a few greater whirlwinds you can crank your hit points through the roof. And you get +1 to saving throws using it. I often use Foebane over some of the "more powerful" swords simply because of its defensive strength.

8. ShadowDaemon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

just cause I feel im on a level with you guys... Im going to do you all a favor! What if I MAKE a custom basterd sword that you CAN chose to weild one handed or two? I dont play D&D outside of computerland though, so post some specs for the modifiers between one handed wrilding and iwo, and I'll get to work... I love a chalange. :evil:

9. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

In first edition (which is all I know), one-handed was just like a long sword, except you couldn't backstab with it of course. Two-handed was about like the current ToB stats. It doesn't appear to me that ToB differentiates between small-medium opponents and large opponents when it comes to damage, unlike first edition rules, so it is hard to tell if the game gives a bastard sword 2-16 damage against large opponents, but 2-8 is right for small-medium.

Speed factor should be 6 weilded two-handed, but it doesn't really make sense to make if faster if you use it one-handed, though that's what first edition did. Probably should be slower with one hand.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    No good bastardswords - neither in BG-2 SoA nor in ToB ??! Have been playing with your eyes closed ??! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: period ... my mc kensai-mage used bastard swords, l'swords and flails and finally ended up using foebane and Jhor the bleeder exclusively :)

good b'swords on SoA are: JHOR THE BLEEDER :love: (it's wonderful to see your enemies drop dead after bleeding out :evil: ) and the BLADE OF SEARING both excellent weapons. The only problem in SoA is that you have to go to the underdark early when you want them.

good b'swords in ToB are (I'm with Big B and Bombur here) : The PURIFIER (Carsomyr light - as if made for my single weapon style pallys) and FOEBANE (simply an awesome weapon).

Since you can only wield 2 weapons at the same time at max - what do you complain about :D ?

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 31, 2002).]

11. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Gerald the berserker used Jhor the Bleeder as his main grunt massacre tool throughout SOA; it just looked so cool and gnarly and did excellent poison damage. Of course, it was replaced, in time, with the souped up Foebane which, when combined with the Axe of Unyielding, Wong Fei's Ioun Stone and the ring of Gaxx, made such trifles as wounds things of the past. Bastard Swords are among the best weapons in the game if you know where to look :D .

12. ShadowDaemon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

B'sword really are great... AND ABOUT TO GET GREATER!!!!

You may have thought my claims above to be just shmack talk... to be honest it was really easy, and I have two minor detals to change(descriptions, icon tags) and ill send em to Tal. if you cant wait till the next SP update email me at Shadowlander71@hotmail.com and ill send you the IAP when im done. You gotta have teambg's IEEP, or IEES to unpack them though, and itt will fix every basterd sword int the game, aoutaaticly, you wont even have to start a new game!!

13. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

Cool, very cool! :evil:

14. void Guest

Yeah there are plenty of great bastard swords, though to get purifier you have to sacrifice the ability to upgrade casomyr and be lawful good...

15. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Foebane is great!
    Why did they upgrade the Avenger, though? It's overpowered as it is...

16. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

Yes it is already powerful, why did they upgrade it? I was wondering about this and why a sword like Celestial fury wasn't able to be upgraded to even a +4. Sorry for moaning I just like that sword. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.