1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommended mods

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Brekken, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Brekken Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am playing thru BG1 to ToB for the third time atm, although there has been a 3 year gap since my last time so things are somewhat fresh again after that long an absense. I am almost thru tho and still very interested to keep playing. I have never installed any mods and when I am done I think I am going to try a human fighter/cleric and I'd like to add in as much quality content as I can.

With that in mind do you guys have a definitive set of mods that are top of the line as far as bug-freeness and quality? BTW I am NOT interested in any romance mods or mods that add NPC's for adding more NPC's sake. Basically new areas or new quests kind of thing that feel like they were original content.

Has anyone tried the mod that allows you to play BG1 thru ToB all in the same game? It looks interesting and I'd sure love to not have to swap 12 cd's around as I play.

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    • Unfinished Buisiness
    • Ascension
    • Tactic Mod
    • BOM item pack
    Can't think of any other at the moment. And since it's been a long time, you might want to know that human can only dual class. Oh so you know sereval NPCs mods add quest and aera in the game.

3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Quest Pack, Refinements, UB, and G3 Anniversary mod are all keepers for the content adding mods. G3 tweaks, virtue, Ding0 tweak, Ashes of Embers, and one pixel productions, and the Banter Packs are also great choices. The only NPC mod I've ever played was Kelsey. He is definitely worth the download. I've also heard great things about Keto.

4. PrincessSuzie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

UB, quest pack, kelsey, NPC flirt pack if you are into romance :)

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Tactics
    Ascension
    Improved Battles
    Turnabout
    Oversight
    Banter
    Planar Sphere
    Druidic Sorcerer
    G3 tweak pack
    Super Firkraag
    Improved Asylum
    Ease of Use
    Item Upgrade
    Unfinished Business
    Rogues Rebalancing

Well those mods came to my mind right now. I have lots of more, and my game rocks. It is so UNIQUE!

6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

If you haven't finished BG1 yet, I can recommend the following three mods:
    Slime Quest Mini-mod (A smaller but very enjoyable quest in Beregost.)
    Herbs and Potions Add-on (You can get various herbs and brew a wide variety of potions as well, or to make a powder from one of them.)
    Grey Clan: In Candlelight (A longer mod, adds one main quest and several smaller subquests. Has comparatively difficult battles but most players had no problems with them.)

All of the above mods have BG1 and BG1Tutu edition (and BG Trilogy edition) as well. (It wasn't clear for me from your post if you have been playing Tutu or stock BG1.

If I am wrong, and you were asking for BG2 mods only, I can recommend the following (beside those that have been already mentioned in others' posts above):
    BG2 Improvements (Very good changes and tweaks, in the form of optional components.)
    Herbs and Potions, BG2 Version (You can brew the same potions from the same herbs as in its BG1 edition).

When you feel more familiar with mods, you can find LOTS of downloadable mods here: http://dragonshoard.blackwyrmlair.net/download.php
    (To get more information about them, click there Website or Forum links, or google them.)

I suppose you are referring to Baldurs Gate Trilogy. It is not bad, especially its new WeiDU version, but if you are not familiar with the installation of mods yet, I don't recommend trying it right now.

7. Brekken Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thank you for the replys. I guess I need a little education on how to add these mods and a more in depth listing of what they do. For instance I don't quite know what "Baldurs Gate Trilogy. It is not bad, especially its new WeiDU version" what exactly that means lol. Beyong a tedious Q&A here is there any spot that details what I need to know and how to do these installations beyond the stickied thread at the top of this page? The dragons hoard doesn't really explain things in depth enough for a novice like me.

And you are correct I'd like Mods that add content for BG1 thru ToB. If these are compatible with the mod that lets me play BG1 in BG2 style including kits that would be optimum. Thanks again.

8. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Tutu and BGT will let you play BG1 in the BG2 style engine.

BGT lets you play all the way through. It is supported at http://www.spellholdstudios.net

Tutu lets you play only the BG1 portion of the game (you need a second install to play the BG2 portion too, or you could always uninstall Tutu after finishing). I would recommend Tutu over BGT (though people argue for hours). Tutu is supported at http://www.pocketplane.net/tutu

A lot of mods at http://www.gibberlings3.net are compatible with Tutu; fewer are comparbile with BGT.

9. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

As Andyr, I would also recommend Tutu(BGTutu, BG1Tutu, all means the same) to you.(As I said, you can try out BGT=Baldurs Gate Trilogy another day, when you have more experience).

The mods are listed are all compatible with BG1Tutu. (And with BGT=Baldurs Gate Trilogy as well :) ) Grey Clan In Candlelight and Slime Quest add new quests, Grey Clan adds a lot, so due to the much positive feedback from players, I can recommend them a lot.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.