1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: "upgrade weapon" poll

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Skywind, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Just want to try out a poll.
    Description:
    If you were to choose, which weapon will you upgrade with a single special item which can upgrade only one of the weapons?
    Hope I did not miss out any other weapons choices.
    Here's my choices:
    1. Firetooth, as it has unlimited bolts(simple and easy to use).
    2, Carsomyr, as Purifier can only cast dispel magic, but not dispel magic with every hit.
    3. Gram Sword of Grief, as I use two-handed swords more often than I use short swords.

[ August 12, 2003, 06:54: Message edited by: Skywind ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 3 question(s). 26 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: "upgrade weapon" poll (26 votes.)

Bowstring of Gond (Choose 1)
    * Darkfire Bow - 15% (4)
    * Taralash Bow - 23% (6)
    * Firetooth XBow - 62% (16)

Eye of Tyr (Choose 1)
    * Carsomyr - 77% (20)
    * Purifier - 23% (6)

Heart of the Damned (Choose 1)
    * Gram Sword of Grief - 62% (16)
    * Sword of the Mask - 38% (10)

2. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Firetooth, this one is the most powerful of the three. I don't really see the big point in upgrading, since the only thing that happens is +1 THAC0.

Purifier, because the carsomyr only gets +1 thac0. At least the Purifier gets +10% MR. And you can dual-wield it with the Answerer :) .

Sword of the Mask, because you can dual-wield it and backstab with it.

3. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Truth be told, I don't like any of the bows (Tuigan Bow, baby) but chose Firetooth anyway since I had to choose one.

Carsomyr, upgraded or not, is just a sweet weapon.

I actually like both Gram the Sword of Grief and Short Sword of Mask. Gotta love that level-drain. Since I tend to run more fighter-types than thief-types, I chose Gram.

4. Skywind Gems: 10/31

Veteran

To: Menion Leah,
    I guess that's how you arm your paladin right?
    I used to think of playing with a cavalier, Keldorn, Sarevok, Viconia, Jan and Edwin after I went to TOB. I planned for Keldorn to wield Carsomyr while my cavalier wield Purifier and a shield. But later, I found other weapon which suit me better than Purifier, so I dumped my idea of two paladins and only go for Carsomyr and other weapons.

5. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

I wasn't saying I thought the Purifier was better than the Carsomyr, just that it gets more bonusses by upgrading it.

But I think a paladin dualwielding the Purifier and the answerer would not be inferior in any way to a paladin wielding the carsomyr. Sure, he doesn't dispell magic, but it does grant 30% magic resistance. And the Answerer will make short work of any magic-resistant creature.

The Carsomyr is probably better for humanoid mage killing, but the Purifier/Answerer combination is very good against dragons, liches and demogorgons (I think).

6. Skywind Gems: 10/31

Veteran

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wasn't saying I thought the Purifier was better than the Carsomyr, just that it gets more bonusses by upgrading it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't be mistaken, I didn't thought that you think this way either.

But I'm curious about your party. Do you have 1 or 2 paladin/s in your party when using that weapons combination?

Anyway,Don't forget that Carsomyr deals tons of damages to evil creature(evil dragons, liches and demons) too, so it will not only dispel their protection spells and also deals that extra damage when vs evil creatures.
    Just a friendly arguement. :)

7. Dreads Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The last time I checked, the Carsomyr granted 50% magic resistance.

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Possibly off-topic so I apologise in case it is and I guess possible spoilers..
    ..but does anyone know if the demon hearts from the Planar Sphere in SoA can be used the same way as Heart Of The Damned?? :hmm:

9. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

@Aldazar: Wouldn't know
    @Dreadlocks: Yes, I know that's more than the Purifier, but Carsomyr +6 grants just as much MR as Carsomyr +5, while Purifier +5 gives 10% more MR than Purifier +4.

@Skywind
    I don't really have any paladins in my party, just a fighter/thief that could use those items. I am a great fan of dual-wielding, so that's why I like Purifier. And the Carsomyr may give +6 extra damage versus chaotic evil, but the Purifier gives +5, so no big difference there. Carsomyr is definitely better than Purifier, but I just love to dualwield, so I don't know what I would equip my character with.

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Don't +6 weapons get through absolute immunity and the various mantles while +5 weapons do not (or at least not all of those spells)? If that's the case, that is why Carsomyr +6 would be better than Purifier +5 in my opinion.

11. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

IIRC, not many people use Absolute Immunity, Protection from Magical Weapons is more common. So having a couple long swords on the side is the way to go for people who they can hit. Not only is Prot. Magic Weapons available earlier but more effective, IMHO, because a mage will also cast stoneskin so that stops the normal weapons (albeit shortly). I don't know how I got to that point, but I like Purifier and Answerer combo better. I think it's more powerful and it sounds cooler. Plus it isn't as cliche as every Paladin and their dog running around with a Holy Avenger.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.