1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Whirlwind and bows?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by spetznaz, Apr 7, 2002.

1. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

2. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yup.

3. RangerSG Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sure does, works with called shots if you're an archer too. :)

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Does it ? I actually found that some of the high level abilities did not work together. Soe when I used kai and deathblow it always overrode the kai ability iirc :(

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 08, 2002).]

5. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

iirc???

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] iirc - if i remember/ recall correctly
    afaik - as far as i know
    asap - as soon as possible

7. RangerSG Gems: 1/31

spetznaz,

I'll have to check it again, but it seems to me that it did. Whirlwind just makes you shoot faster, it doesn't do anything to your to hit (At least GW doesn't), so there's no reason for the two to be incompatable.

Kai and deathblow, on the other hand, do a lot of the same thing, so I can see why they would be.

8. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

First of all, thanks Ragusa.
    Ok, here's the deal: Whirlwind sets attackes to 10/round and -4 THAC0.
    Greater Whirlwind sets attack to 10/round but no - in THAC0.

Cheers.

9. void Guest

Greater Whirlwind and called shot would be deadly (that is is the penalties from called shot stack up, does anyone know if they do?).

10. yappie! Guest

[​IMG] Play an Assassin, then use Greater Whirlwind, while Hiding in Shadows, while Poison Weaponed, while haveing the Tuigan Bow.

Lots of kill!!!!

Backstab x7, extra poison damage, and 12 Attacks per round!!!

11. ywpark89 Guest

How do you backstab with a bow? And I thought Whirlwind Sets your # of attacks to ten, and thatgoing over ten is not possible.

12. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

How tha f*** to get Whirlwind with an Assassin?

[Watch the language; perhaps you need to go back and read the Forum Rules & FAQ again. - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 12, 2002).]

13. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

What Yappie! wrote was nearly completely wrong. You cannot get Greater Whirlwind with an Assassin (unless you dualled him to Fighter, but that hardly makes sense), you cannot backstab with a bow and you cannot get over 10 attacks per round no matter which spell/ability/item you are using.

AFAIK the best tactic for backstabbing is an Assassin/Mage wielding a Katana and the Staff of the Magi.

-Wield the Staff to get invisible
    -Wield the katana
    -Backstab
    -Repeat as long as you wish (ie until someone casts True Sight)

I felt like a cheater when I tried it....

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How do you do that Israfel? Every time I have tried to do as you said it has not worked. You go visible as SOON as you change your weapon from Staff of the Magi, atleast in my game. So even if you pause you are visible the moment you switch from the staff to the katana, and therefore no backstab :(
    I was a little disapointed with this but as you say it would have been pretty overpowered if possible, but it isnt. Atleast not for me.

15. Thor'Horad Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] since assisian/mage mentioned, a slightly better method for backstabbing:

cast spell immunity: divination,
    with the staff of magi,
    and some blade(poisoned is welcome) to stab enemy,
    now backstab is free. you are immune to true sight (and anything else):grin:

[This message has been edited by Thor'Horad (edited April 18, 2002).]

16. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I haven't really tried backstabbing taking advantage of that staff, but once Nalia happened to be alone and without any decent spell near some giants. I had her wield the staff to get invisible, then shoot an arrow, and so on. She didn't get visible as long as she didn't fire the arrow. Try this technique too, maybe it is just a trick that doesn't work with melee weapons.

PS: if my suggestion is impossible, I'm glad...it would be really overpowered.

[This message has been edited by Israfel (edited April 18, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.