1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Did anybody ever use a spellpoint system in 2E?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by SlickRCBD, Sep 5, 2007.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Back in the days when I had a group to play P&P D&D, we had decided we didn't like the way the memorization system worked, and came up with a variation. Basically, we made it so that you could memorize up to your maximum number of spells per level (those with extremely high int could only get one more spell/level for each point over 18) using standard rules, and you were assigned a number of spell points based on the normal spells/level. First level spells counted as 1, second gave your 2, third gave you 3, etc. To cast a spell, you put as many SP into the spell as it's level, ie first level spells cost 1, second cost 2, third cost 3...

We had it so that the spell points regenerated by resting, and took the same amount of time as if you had been rememorizing the spells.

Also, we did away with the limits on the number of spells in the spell books. You could scribe as many as you wanted into your book. It was how many you could keep in your head, ready to cast that mattered.

The idea was to give the players options other than combat spells. Let them use the spells more for everyday stuff instead of only using them for combat.

It did make the wizards a little bit unbalanced, as in a tough fight the wizard could expend his entire spell book on fireballs or magic missiles, but it also made them a lot more fun to play. Which was entirely the point. They could have a bunch of noncombat spells memorized that they would never waste a precious slot on under nomral circumstances. Using them generally meant they were LESS powerful in battle, even though the obvious exploits were still there. It also kinda rebalnced the spells, because lower-level spells became a bit more powerful due to their lower cost. One meteor swarm, three fireballs, or nine magic missiles?

Did anybody else ever come up with something like this? It's been a long time since my D&D group broke up for college (everybody going to separate schools all over the country), and with the new third edition rules out, I wonder if it would be possible to combine the Wizard and Sorcerer in a similar manor, or would that be way too powerful?

[ September 05, 2007, 17:41: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. zerox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I once played a game with a friend of mine run by his father, and he had some real interesting house all over the place, i think he started with 1st and then carried the house rules over to 2nd were most of them didn't make sense but did basically work. Anyway, my wizard could cast a number of spells that totaled up to my caster level, so at 4th level i could cast 4-1st level spells or 1-2nd and 2-1st. The thing that really made it stand out was that my highest level spell was equal to my caster level, so i had Lighting Bolts at 3rd and some 4th level spell at 4th. It was pretty cool, i almost never used the higher spells since they basically killed my casting for the day in 1 shot, but it was cool to just have them.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Meh. If I ever wanted spell points, there are any number of video games that use that system. The Might and Magic series, the Wizardry series (with a nice twist on spell power), certain Final Fantasy games, etc. And even in D&D, the Psionicists used PSPs (Psionic Strength Points). So I never really saw any point in overpowering an already powerful class.

4. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

For third edition just read Unearthed Arcana, they have a Spell Point system for all the casters as optional rule. Been wanting to run it myself.

Can't say I've seen any for 2E, would really make the casters even more usefull than they already are I agree. On the positive side, AD&D/D&D isn't as dependent on internal balance as other games where you paly more VS games.

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I was in a campaign where we planned to try that, but never got far enough to see the system for it's pros and cons.

6. Register Gems: 29/31

I use it all the time, the Vaconian rule used by D&D is really stupid.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    What is the "Vaconian rule"? I don't know what the word "Vaconian" means.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm assuming he meant Vancian, as in inspired by the way magic works in Jack Vance's Dying Earth world.

9. Register Gems: 29/31

Yeah, Vancian it is.

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Not to mention there was a point system for 2nd edition. I don't remember how the point system works but it was one of the last books published for 2nd edition.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.