1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Accents

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Cúchulainn, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I don't play tabletop AD&D so maybe this just applies to CRPG's, but why do dwarves have Scottish accents?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Because of all the whiskey they drink.

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Do you have a Scottish accent when you drink whiskey?

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Because a Scottish accent makes you look rugged and sexy. I have a Scottish accent and girls just love it. ;)

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dwarves have Scottish accents? IMO, it's just the other way around :p

I have no idea why, but these races remind me of some accents:
    Dwarves - Scottish
    Elves - Icelandic or something else that sounds long and slow, perhaps swedish
    Gnomes - English with an Indian accent. Dunno why.
    Halflings - Irish or some other impossible language like cockney or the 'pikies' in Snatch.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Tolkien influence maybe?

7. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Because I want to drrrink a strrrong dwarrrven ale sounds better with a Scottish accent? :)

kuemper has a good point, though. I think Tolkien wanted to give each race a set of recognizable qualities that most English-speaking readers could visualize instantly. I think that a Scottish accent in a medieval environment gives the idea of a bad-tempered, ale-loving, rugged highlander wielding a massive weapon, be it sword or axe.

[ November 09, 2006, 14:45: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

8. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I always find it amusing as a folklore nerd that dwarves have a scottish accent because D+D/Tolkien dwarves are based upon the Germanic duergar. Celtic dwarves like korred are often inhuman in appearance while the Scottish redcap is wildly evil in nature and often described to be rather monstrous in appearance.

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oi! Oi! Elves speaking what now! Swedish? Swedish!

I beg my pardon! Swedish indeed! Hmph! Islandic? Everyone knows elves speak finnish with a slight and smooth english pronunciation! The thing that Sigur Rós has for their lyrics isn't icelandic, otherwise that might be something the elves might speak.

Suomen kieli on maailman kaunein kieli, suomen lausuminen on kuin laulua. :p Besides, Tolkien's elves even have finnish words in their language. And the way that at least Hugo Weaving and perhaps some other elves pronounced the r's is the way that finns pronounce them, since you know, because of finnish language having an impact on how Tolkien made the elven language and all...

Well, now that that's settled, I think a scottish accent suits dwarves far better than a german one. If they're not german speaking dwarves, that is. :rolling:

10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I tried to make my own Gnome accent, but now I realize that it sounds like Peter Griffin from the Family Guy...

Dwarves like to drink and fight. That sounds stereotypical of the Scottish...

Halflings I never thought of for an accent, and elves I thought would have a fancy English accent (like the typical snobby nobles and royals) because they are so bloody arrogant...

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

It would sound better with a Belfast accept. Who can handle their drink better than a Belfast lad?

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

And the Irish and the Germans and sportsfans. :)

13. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

A Scottish dwarf? :p

14. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Because Mr. Salvatore wanted to.

15. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Thanks Iku-Turso, you stole my words, the (Tolkien) elven language is finnish, swedish is a language you don't put anybody that intelligent to speak.

Dwarves.... what should they speak then? You can't expect a dirty, drunk dwarf to speak with a noble, french or italian accent. Anything else than scottish sounds too umm.... sober :p

16. deepfae Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Dwarves are generally seen (I'm sort of stereotyping Ad+D games here, bear with me) as a rough, rugged people who live in the mountains, have a blunt but profound sense of honor, are kick-ass in a fight, and love their drink. If you stereotype the scotts, you get a similar feel, and adding a scotttish accent to dwarves makes the person hearing the accent place the dwarf with the stereotypical scottsman, and thus gives instant atmosphere.

17. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @Trellheim: All thanks to Tolkien for appreciating our language more than many of us finns do.

But I might add, that no elf would speak english with a finnish accent, not at least with the kind of accent that, for instance, our prime minister speaks it. :shake:

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I generally think D&D is all 19th century England. Come on, most nobles are just snobs with titles whose all purpose is taunting you about your lineage in their elite taverns, and there are probably some kinds of hints at their more glorious past. Authories are all so horribly constitutional and there's not much supernatural in anything. There's also that horrible political correctness. And all the use of 19th century English in mediaeval contest which is deemed realism. :rolleyes:

Paladins are not policemen. Women are not as strong as men. Evil is not a different perspective.

19. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

If elves were to speak finnish, that would take all the credibility out of the grace and beauty that they are supposed to posses both in themselves and all their creations. But let's not get off the topic here.

I'd say all the nordic languages has too many hard consonant sounds to make a language flowing with grace. I emagine elvish kind of like chineese, but without the long vowel sounds and the "sh" and "ch"s.

Dwarven is more nordic in nature, with hard sounds and rumbling "r"s.

20. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    No, it's a fact, Tolkien's elven is based on finnish.

Conserning Quenya, language of high-elves
    (note that this language is dead in the 3rd age when LoTR happens!)

quenya

[ November 11, 2006, 20:10: Message edited by: Trellheim ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.