1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate characters.

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Sydax, May 3, 2006.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I didn't think that this topic is about game play so I guessed that will be better to do the question here.

What I want to know is where the place names and character names come from. Drizzt, Bruenor, Sword Coast, Baldur's, Lilarcor, Aegis Fang, drows, etc.
    Is all inspired on some book? real life things? mythology?

I can't find anything related to it. Any ideas?

2. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Um, they have years of Forgotten Realms lore behind them. You know, D&D?

It (mostly) all comes from Ed Greenwood, he invented it and sold it to (TSR?), but it is all owned by Wizards of the Coast now.

As for books, Drizzt and Bruenor come from the Icewind Dale Trilogy first, but the Drow Elf Trilogy is chronologically first.

Try looking here

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  4. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Great info in those links, thank you guys, is exactly what I needed.

PS. Sorry for posting in the wrong forums.

5. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

*ahem* Although all of those are, indeed of the Forgotten Realmslore...the names chosen by Ed Greenwood were not pulled out of thin air- many came from other sources.

examples off the top of my head:
    Silvanus: mentioned idley in one of Paul's letters in the new testament, also some Roman spirit
    Tyr: one of Odin's sons in Norse mythology
    Oghma: the god of scholars and learning from Irish mythology

although many names are made up; many are influenced by other sources.

The Forgotten Realms is, in essence, a garbage bin of fantasy, myth, and science fiction. Of course, we love it all the same!

6. Daie d'Malkin

And drow is, of course, a nordic name for dark elves.

Even Baldr (Baldur) was a norse god

7. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Just about the whole Mullhorandi pantheon is ripped straight from Eygptian mythology and Tiamat is ripped from Babylonian mythology (want to say Ao is too, but I can't remember). Selune is slight modification of the Greek Selene, though Selune bears almost nothing in common with the promiscuous Greek goddess of the moon.

Ilmater and Lathander are clearly based on mythological figures even if they fail to share those figures names.

I believe Bahamut is also Babylonian. Surtr and Thrym are also pulled from Norse Mythology.

[ May 20, 2006, 19:13: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

8. Dall Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hmm... I don't think Drow is old norse for Dark elf... I think the old-norse word for dark elf is "Svartalf" or black elf. The word svartalf was actually used in the old FR cosmology, or the "core D&D cosmology" as it's called in 3.5E.

In the great wheel, one of the planes is called Ysgard (clearly inspired from Asgard), and one of its layers is called Nidavellir. In Nidavellir is an area called Svartalfheim, where a population of neutral drows live. Just wanted to add it ;) !

A lot of the monsters in D&D are also from various mythologies, for example Pegasi, Djinni, Sphinxs and dragons...

9. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG]
    Dude! Dragons are from myth???!!! Wtf...I thought Ed Greenwood invented them...I am so disillusioned right now.

10. Dall Gems: 3/31

:) ... It was just to make an example...

11. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I dont know much about all these things you´re saying, i suposse i have to believe it blind.
    But now that someone mentioned characters, i like to say something that amussed me:
    If you have selected a dark elf character, a drow, isnt funny that there are not any restrictions about alignment?
    Supossedly, drows are mostly "evil" (mostly chaotic evil) so you can´t choose any "good" or "Legal", just some neutral and chaotic evil.
    Yes, i admitt there are exceptions to this rule(Drizzt), but I´m not shure the ranger was "good" at all, always seems to me more like a "true neutral", or even something between "legal evil" and "chaotic good"...I dont know.
    I think Drizzt suffer a lot for beeing like he is, in a world like the Underdark.He even got to run away from "home" for being different from the rest.
    So, at the end, he is more like an "unique" kind of drow.. somebody correct me if I´m wrong.

12. Daie d'Malkin

He was unique, you're right. He was all alone. But he's happier now he's spawned a million clones. Are there any evil drow left, or are they all just misunderstood?

13. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sorry cant resist to link in this one to the current discussion about dark elves: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=44

Well per the rules you have the various descriptions of "usually lawfull good" and "allways chaotic evil" etc, they had some nice numbers on it somewhere i dont recal, but it basically means that "allways chaotic evil" means that somewhere roughly between 95-99% of the race is chaotic evil. and the usually was somewhere around 50% or so. So there is absolutelly nothing wring with a player picking drow and makes hes drow a lawfull good paladin. Just highly unlikelly. And if i was the DM i would have forced him to make one **** of a good background-story to get away with that (and if i found even the slightest hint of drizzt ripoff its over and out!).

It is just that players love to make their chaotic good über 1337 drows :)

(seriouslly how many of you did pick anything else than chaotic good in your first game ?)

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Check out my new Underdark RP. Same rules. ;)
    Chaotic Neutral, since you asked. I prefer to play myself the first time through a game. ;)

15. Dall Gems: 3/31

First time I played I was CN too... I've actually heard that a lot of players make their first char evil, but without any special reason :) ... My old DM told me that...

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Really? The people I talk to usually choose good or neutral for first time... They suffer from too much influence from various cliches, unfortunately :) .

17. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Technically my first played character was CG (a social anarchist and all) but he, as an idea, was created in tandem with a LE fighter (good characters are just easier to fit into parties). They filled the role of oppressor and liberator I suppose. I have a thing for CG and LE characters (cruel LN characters for that matter as well), represents my differing view of "ideal" and "exemplar" people, thats for sure. It's just easier to break in the game as a good or neutral character, it's way too easy to screw up other PCs with an evil character and end the fun (specifically since that LE character I had created was very inclined to draw blades in order to protect his pride).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.