1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stats on Moonblades?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by olimikrig, Sep 24, 2005.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Can anyone give me a rundown on the set stats on a moonblade (if any such exists)?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Enchanted: +3
    THAC0: +3
    Damage: 1d8+3
    Specials:
    +1 bonus to AC
    +50% Fire Resistance
    Weight: 4 in desc., 3 in fact
    Speed Factor: 5 in desc., 2 in fact

If you can load items from BG1, it's "SW1H13".

3. Mark Nelson Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

What is that when Translated to 3rd Edition?

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :thumb: thank Fel...

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I guess it'll look something like this:

But, no set stats exist. Since all blades are invidual, most of them doesn't look like the others.

[ September 27, 2005, 01:02: Message edited by: Rutkowski ]

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31

+3 longsword (or whatever type it's supposed to be) Adds fire resistance 10, +1 deflection bonus to AC.

Price would probably be around 40-45,000 gp. Caster level would probably be something like 9th.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Oh, don't forget a Moonblade is tuned to a specific elf/elven lineage. IIRC, I got that from Ed Greenwood's Elminster in Myth Drannor.

8. olimikrig

Media:
    Yes, I will make it unusable by non-elves, and add an effect that will make it give xdx fire dam each round to any evil alligned person who wields it ;)

9. Register Gems: 29/31

Not only that, but as kuemper said, only a specific Elf or Elven Family can use it. Just because Elf 12132412 can use it, doesn't mean that Elf 123235121233125 can use it, even if none of them are evil.

10. olimikrig

Media:
    Yes, I know. But as this is intended for a PC game, it would be a wee difficult, unless I make it only useable by the protagonist. *hmmm*

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

That's one of the reasons I suggested a kit mod in the other thread. You could make it usable only by that kit, and it would solve your problem rather handily.

12. Mark Nelson Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thanks Rutkowski I wanted to make one for My NWN and didn't know what stats to use.

13. olimikrig

Media:
    @Fel

I went around it like this: The item is only usable by good-allignend elves, and any class except cleric and druids, which would make the item unusable by all the NPC's in the game.
    Of course, if you play a party of six people created by yourself, then you could equip it, but the same applies for all the NPC specific items of the game (i.e. if you make aNPC with the stats, allignemt and class of Keldorn, then you will be able to wear Keldorns Armor).

14. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Man, you people just don't get it... (no offense)
    Moonblades are totally indvivdual, many of them wouldn't be +3, very few of them would be linked to fire, and none would be usable by all good, non-druid or cleric elves...

15. olimikrig

Media:
    Which is the problem since I can't script the blade to be only usable by the PC...

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

We're just trying to help out, Firestorm. The only one I know of to look at is Xan's (BG 1). I haven't found it in any of the DnD manuals within reach.

17. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The Book "Elfshadow" by Elaine Cunningham features two more swords. I do not recal what all its powers where, but most of them would not work in any of the IE games. but i do belive it gave immunity to fire.

I agree with those here that says that a moonblade is COMPLETELLY personal to each single character, and has to be custom tailored to each family/person that wears it. As such having such a sword for a player would be wrong no matter how you did it.

It would be better to make a "fake moonblade" with some comment that a mage tried to recreate a certain moonblade, but could never match it.

18. olimikrig

Media:
    Well, this sword actually somewhat works like that... None of the Bioware NPC's can use the item because of the different requirements I've set on it, thus it is only wieldable by either a custom NPC (if he/she meets the requirements).

I might make the invis creature trick, to make a creature summon forth and kill anyone who wields it and isn't player1 (the protagonist)....

That might be an idea... Something like <name> has long been facinated by the elven moonblades, and as <name> couldn't get one, <name> tried to replicate it....

Now, when talking about "matching" a true moonblade, I would like to hear what you mean by "match"...
    As you yourself states, a moonblade is individual, and "designed" for the person who wields it, so no two moonblades would be alike, no? Furthermore none would really know "what" a moonblade does, as moonblades are items cloak in mystique...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.