1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ilmatari and Vampires - an RP question

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by kuemper, Sep 2, 2005.

1. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Kuemper: that should not be any problem. i belive even a paladin could aid a cleric in turning. just let the one with the best turning checks be the one the other ones aid.

2. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The problem with the Raise Dead option is that, in 3e, you have the option to not be ressurected if you don't want to be. Thus, mindful undead are off-limits, unless they want to be alive or the spell has a special note about undead.

However, if the guy wants to be a vampire, then he's more or less lost. The by the book option is that you should kill him. However, since that ruins the game for both of you (him because a cool character idea was killed, you because he's going to sulk), I would instead look into ways to contain him. One option is to simply withhold healing from him... you aren't going to heal him unless he turns his back on his evil path. He won't die.. but it's something to think about. You can also make a point of speaking to other priests about cures for vampirism... someone should know. Another fun one might be to capture a vampire (good luck; I suggest magic circle against evil), and leave it for several days without blood. Have him watch the creature, and see if he really wants to be that. (You might use a ghoul, instead, and deny it flesh; the same thing, but easier to do)

Since he wants to be a vampire, use that as a springboard for your own role-playing, rather than simply staking him and leaving him to his fate. Killing him would be "proper", but not as much fun.

3. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

@MrNexx - interesting ideas; w/r/t the 'withholding healing' I presume you mean Inflict 'n' Wounds spells et al. _Cure_ would do an undead *damage*.

Played a mummy in my previous campaign - a LE fighter planning to become the eternal bodyguard of a lich-wannabe; latter gets hosed by some 'adventurers' while I'm under being mummified, and I wake up to find a ransacked hideout. I had a crisis of alignment about evil ("he reneged on our deal - I would become the right hand of a creature of power, not a straw man mooching around ruins!") so I started drifting to LN; it was fun being someone in the party that doesn't eat, doesn't sleep ("Yeah, I'm on guard duty again") and thanks to a simple Hat of Disguise I could pass for a normal human.

But I'd say if the swashbuckler is going the same route I did (taking levels as vamp and gaining abilities along the way until eventually getting full MM vampire after 14lvl or so) he's turning slowly (and painfully) - the Ilmatari is gonna notice this and try to ease suffering. This will bring the whole 'becoming undead' thing to light (ooo, sry) and provoke a decision.

IMO, if the vamp/swash doesn't OVERTLY cause suffering to others, you could get away with tolerating him (with a little persuasive prayer to your deity). Sounds like an interesting chance for some FUN rp'ing!

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That's pretty cruel to do. I thought Ilmater was about easing the suffering of others, not torturing others. :confused: It doesn't matter if it's undead or not - I'm not going to starve something just to 'prove a point'.

If Fangboy breaks the law and I find out, I'll talk to him about it and see if I can get him to restitute himself. If he starts on me, I'll take the appropriate actions and see about letting him 'sleep with da fishes'. :evil:

Well, since I haven't played in 2 1/2 months, I'm unsure whether or not this character will see a campaign. And I was so looking forward to playing her. :cry:

5. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Undead are not creatures to the Ilmatari, as I understand it. They are things... they are beings which cause suffering, and are manifestations of evil.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31

A gaming update. I finally managed to get through a session. My C/M is unsure of Fangboy, since she saw him bite someone. I need to be with him however, for procuring an invite to some to-do in Waterdeep.

I look forward to using CLW on Fangboy as his 'disease' progresses. :p

7. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Aye, and guess who's got a front-row seat for the fireworks? :cool: It turns out that there's not too many PnP groups here in St. John's - Kuemper and I are in the same party. :lol:

Aye, the swashbuckler has been bitten, and is slowly developing the traits (only bloodthirst and spider climb ability yet, as far as I could tell) as he gains experience.

After a fight, our Ilmatari cleric/monk cast a cure on him and it worked just fine...this time. Apparently not much negative energy has built up yet - he's still (mostly) mortal.

But this is gonna be interesting... :evil:

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hey, that might be interesting... since he's not fully turned yet (geez, it was simpler in White Wolf, no kinda-but-not quite), can't you heal him through massive exposure to positive energy? It ought to work... I think.
    Of course, that is if the DM doesn't want him undead. Then it's a whole different story :)

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Considering he's CN and trying to butter up to a LG monk, making friends does not look good. I think this whole relationship is going to be a series of Bluff vs. Sense Motive checks. :hahaerr:

Anyway, Fangboy's treading carefully as I found out he got some papers that I had turned over to the constabulary.

Oh, did I mention I wiggled this multiclass so I had Swim as a class skill? Poke me with a fork, because *nobody* has any points in Swim, even the bloody *sailors*!

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Wow, talking about fatalists...
    Ya see, matey, if ya fall o'erboard, ye're done for anyways, so don't be bothering with that shwimmin' stuff :)

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Fangboy and I have come to an understanding of sorts. I don't trust him that much, but he's got a boat and heading where I need to go.

And we almost whacked another vampire! Sucker turned to gaseous form and ran home. What I wouldn't give for a vacuum sucking jar. :lol:

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Did your "fangboy" help?

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

It was quite a fun session. Fangboy and I are together for questing purposes.

We all went to a fancy dress party, so no weapons! We got drunk on choclatl and made some impressive Sense Motive checks on the main bad guy (Sir Boros).

Boros asked us to go with him to the drawing room. We got there and he started demanding some papers. It went downhill from there. Our wizardess fainted and Boros ordered in 5 of his lackeys.

I had some nice spells go off - Deathwatch, which confirmed Boros and Fangboy were *not* dead or alive! :confused: and Command, which got one of the lackeys we hadn't killed to open the locked door our thief couldn't open. I used my special power from Ilmater on Boros - Pain Touch, dropping his Str and Dex by 2 - with the free action shout, "Where's my husband!?"

The wizardess kept getting dragged off, so she was no help until she came out of her swoon. :rolleyes: She started poking our people with her wand (where did she hid that in a gown?). I managed to get a critical with a flask of holy water on Boros, who really went bonkers. Yay! :banana:

We killed the lackeys, except for Lord Killlian, who was under Domination and we plan on getting him out of the building. Fangboy, Xia and the wizardess followed Boros when he went gaseous form and discovered a secret passageway. :mommy:

And this is where the game ended due to it being 2 in the morning. We all got a level up, which I took in monk. If the infighting can be tamped, this party will be very good. I'm just trying to play my alignment (LG) against someone who is CN, does whatever he feels like, is a pirate and becoming undead. I'm waiting for the chance to ask for a Plea of Rest from my duties to Ilmater.

14. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Playing an undead PC is nice. I am playing a undead Monk in one of our games. Recently, the friend of a friend (some guy I don't like) joined our game with a Paladin PC. What the fool ignored is that we play an evil party, and my own PC is evil (lawful evil, actually, like me) *and* undead, so when he found out he wanted to "rid the world of an abomination". He dropped me to half my HP, but I drained him 8 levels and used my daily Quivering Palm. The fool failed his saving throw. :evil:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.