1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

encounter level tweaking help

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Wotan Kindheart, May 17, 2005.

1. Wotan Kindheart Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Okay, I'm fairly fluent with assigning EL to an encounter using the multiple monster chart for CR, etc, etc, for the standard four-player party. Problem I'm having is, I've got five players, and one is about to be sixth. Is there a hard-and-fast formula fix for this that I'm missing somewhere in the core rules?
    Or a house-rules fix somebody has that works?
    Right now, I'm getting a party that levels up too slowly for the campaign I'm running (for example, EL 1=300xp/4=75xp each. With five characters, they only get 60xp each ... which makes subsequent encounters too difficult).
    I find myself having to either adjust difficulty upwards on each encounter (by cobbling together some kind of Frankenbeast mess) or introducing more encounters altogether, which I despise, since I try to run a combat-light campaign, giving out EL awards for political intrigue, info gathering, and such--so that each fight, when it does happen, makes sense, and is that much more enjoyable when complete.
    "So, Wotan, add more noncombat encounters." Yeah, right. I've already got so many sidequests/related quests/character development quests that I'm running out of ideas quickly.

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

My suggestion is to make some encounters EL 1 and some EL 2 (maybe a 1:2 ratio would be good). Since you apparently want your characters to level up faster, I think you should just award more XP than recommended for fights, and award more treasure proportionately.

Or just run two games of four players each. Perhaps you and two other players have extra time on your hands?

3. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

You don't actually need to follow any rules. YOU are the DM. Screw the tables, and give out as much xp as you find is fair. If you want them level up faster, give the the extra xp. You can do it, noone will drag you to court for it. ;)

4. Wotan Kindheart Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Actually, I'm taking Oaz's advice on one count: I'm running a smaller side-group. Makes time-passing interesting, with two groups running simultaneously in the same campaign. Ever get to a dungeon and find someone else had cleared it already? Ha!
    The exp thing is working out now, though, and I understand I can give as much/little as I want.
    What I want to avoid though, is ultra-fast OR ultra-slow levelling, because I think you get more out of a character if you know what it's like to struggle at every step to earn what you get.
    The reason I'm in love with the rules, especially in D&D, is because they're so heavily playtested that I find the usual answer to the question "how do I run a balanced game?" is, "Use the rules."
    There are times when it seems to break down, though, and I usually think awhile before jumping in with a house rule--again, for balance reasons. "It seems like a good idea now, but will I be able to stand by this decision when the PCs are at level 8/12/15/25?" Mostly because I don't want to damage my integrity/credibility by having to reverse myself later.
    That's my dilemma--and that's why I always ask questions that seem so no-brainer.
    Thanks!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.