1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Foreign Language in D&D

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ofelix, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Okay, I've been away from SP for such a long time, it feel weird coming back. Anyhow I've got a question to you all D&D Fan(atic) just like me!

So, In my opcomming game, the players are to encounter a strange magic orb that gives powerful magical items to players purely based on their's greed. However the more the items is powerful the more it drains its user's sanity and drove him to the evil path. All this little trap was set by a fallen paladin. It's most like a sort of recruitment trap for his evil army. Anyway...

When they will reach the said orb a sentence in an old language that nobody in those time speak (About 598 Common age, I'm playing in the Greyhawk settings) that language is Old Baklunian (I'm not sure about its true ¨ënglish¨ name as I play in french)

So from what I've read about 'em I consider them to be much like Slavic people (in real life). So What I ask is: Can someone translate this sentence in a ¨slavic¨ language, like russian, polish, slovenian, serbian, croatian etc... Please? Also can you include a pronounciation key please?

The sentence should be something like this:

¨Be thy greed form my infernal army¨

Thank in advance

[ March 16, 2005, 18:13: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps you could provide it in French. I don't quite understand the English one. I can translate it into Polish for you when you're done.

3. Ik Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This may be simplistic and I'm butting in here, sorry...
    if we change the first word it makes logical sense IMO, and try:
    "Let thy greed form my Infernal army."

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think that the first word would actually by 'By'

'By thy greed form my infernal army!' has a rather nice ring to it...

5. Ofelix

Media:
    Okay maybe my english isn't that good afterall
    sigh

Yes << Let Thy greed form my infernal army >> could work more I think.

<< Votre avarice et votre insouciance formeront mon armé infernal >>

was what I had in mind actually...

6. chevalier

Media:
    Ah... by and form. Now it makes sense.

In Polish it would be something like "Niech twe okrucieństwo i chciwość stworzy mą piekielną armię" and you need Eastern European coding to read the special signs.

Do you mean greed like greed of money and posessions or greed like craving blood? The English greed is primarily for money and goods, but the French insouciance seems to allow both. If it's bloodlust, it should be "Niech twe okrucieństwo i żądza krwi stworzy mą piekielną armę".

7. Ofelix

Media:
    Thank you! Yeah I meant possesions and carving for power (not blood, yet)
    However for my poor non-polish and french mouth how do I pronounce that?

I got Eastern european coding all right since all sign are alright.

So far I'll pronounce it something like (With french sound more or less):

Niéh tvé okroutsienstvo i ZH(Zra)ondza stvorzi mon péikiélnon armé

8. chevalier

Media:
    There is no way you pronounce it right. :shake: It's a difficult language and you practically have to be a native to pronounce it right and most natives still have a bad pronunciation, anyway.

But the transcription is understandable. Make piékiélnon armié of péikiélnon armé and it should be fine. The final "é" in "ié" in "armié" sounds like "un" (article indéfini). "Zh" is OK, "zr" isn't.

9. Uncle Spanky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I can help with latinicized Russian and Bulgarian. I put in dashes to help. As pointed out earlier "Zha" would sound similar to the French "je."

English

¨By thy greed form my infernal army¨

Bulgarian

"Ot tvoy-a-ta alch-nost...da form-ir-e-te moy-a-ta ad-ska arm-i-ya"

Russian (not as correct I am sure)

"Iz tvoy-yeh zhad-noct-a...Form-ir-e-te mo-yu in-fer-nal-nu-yu arm-i-yu"

It looks so much better in cyrillic...

10. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Any one for Romanian? It's not slavic, it's latin, but I think it sounds preety nice. Anyway here it is. I wrote it in romanian the way it is pronounced in english as well.

English: "Let thy greed form my infernal army"

Romanian(Pronounciation): "Lasahtzi lahcomeea sahmi crehehze armata infernalah"

Romanian(Writing): "Lasati lacomia sa-mi creeze armata infernala" I didn't bother with specific characters.

11. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

<< Votre avarice et votre insouciance formeront mon armé infernal >>
    << Twe nienasycone żądze tworzą mą piekielną armię >>
    It's more a statement rather than request. And quite typical for D&D, I admit.
    The pronunciation would be something like this:
    Tfé n'enasitsoné zhãdzé tfozhã mã p'ek'elnã arm'e
    pronunciation key:
    é ─ more open than French
    n' ─ soft n, try to speak 'n', and then 'i', get the intermediate consonant (should sound somewhat like 'n' with 'i'), then go through 'i' to the next vowel ('e').
    'i' ─ in this case (the only occurence), speak as in English 'bit,' but try to push the tongue a bit further back
    'zh' ─ more as in French spelled 'g' than 'j' (actually, 'j' is the type of modification to 'g' that should sound in the 'n'')
    ã ─ the nasal 'o', as a Frenchman you shouldn't have problems with it, something as in 'bon'
    dz ─ as in 'ts' ('c'), but voiced
    p' and k' ─ go from the consonant, through the vowel 'i' to the next vowel ─ 'p'' as in 'Pierre', 'k'' as in 'quien' (but the 'e' should not be nasal)
    m'e ─ as in the French 'miens'
    r ─ a bit more vibrating than the French 'r'

I share chev's doubts about being able to rely it well, but it will still sound a bit ominous ;)

12. Firag Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I Can Translete it on bulgarian :
    Ne-ka Ne-Na-Sit-Na-Ta La-Ko-Mi-Q For-mi-ra Moq-ta Ads-ka Armi-q
    Neka Nenasitnata Lakomiq Formira moqta adska armiq
    Нека ненаситната лакомия формира моята адска армия
    P.S. Uncle Spanky You Bulgarian Translation is not the right trust Me I Am From Bulgaria :)

13. Uncle Spanky Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

@Arch_Cursed_Enemy

OPA! Prav si...kolko sum razer4eroven! No spored men podre da ispolsva "j" na mjsto na "q". Zapadnite ne razbirat "q" kato "ja".

(Translation of what I am trying to say): Oops! You're right....boy is my face red! But IMO it would be better to use "j" in the place of "q". Most Westerners don't use "q" like a "ja"

14. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

How about romanian? (a latin language)

"Fie ca lăcomia ta, armata infernală să-mi formeze"

And it should be read something like this:

"Thee-eh kah lahkomiah tah, ahrmahtah infernahlah sahmi fohrmehzeh"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.