1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Prestige class: Dragon Disciple

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Sniper, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Is this prestige class in your opinion a good one? If so then please say and why.

Is it a bad one? If so please state and why.

I myself am not too sure because despite them getting some nice bonuses, they don't seem to be able to get any spells above what they could cast before and only get extra spell slots.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They're a little too good, especially when combined with a melee class (like a fighter or paladin). I don't think it makes much sense to build an RDD around a spellcaster, other than for role playing reasons. A Fighter X/Bard 1/RDD 10, or a Paladin X/Sorcerer 1/RDD 10 will have ridiculously high strength and other ablitiy scores, fire breath, immunity to fire, etc. I went through HotU with the Paladin build and it was damn near too easy.

3. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

so casting spells isn't really that important then?

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

@DR
    Are you sure you're talking about the PnP RDD?
    I dont know what it's like, but as much as i see from your post you mean the one from NwN :heh:

I really cant give any advice, though, as i havent even seen it. But generaly spellcasters are more powerful if measured against a lower level spellcaster with melee capabilities.

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

dragon disciple is very nice for fighter/bards or just bards. The high-power spellcasters (sor/wiz) lose way too much though if getting levels in this instead of just continuing their path.

It's a cool class to roleplay, but powerwise it sucks for sorcerers or wizards.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Gothmog

You're right, I was referring to NWN. My bad. Didn't notice what forum the question came from - I just assumed it was a HotU question.

Since I haven't played PnP in over a decade, feel free to ignore my input on this one. However - I can't imagine, since NWN's implementation of the prestige classes and rules were done so well, that I'm really all that wrong anyway.

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Death Rabbit was pretty dead on with what he said. AFAIK, the implementation of the Dragon Disciple PRC is pretty much the same in PNP as in NWN, with the exception of having the liberty to choose your own dragonkind in PNP as opposed to being limited to Red Dragons in NWN.

8. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, the implementation in nwn is more limited. First, in pnp you can, like said, choose your color. Second, in pnp you get (a small amount of) bonus spell slots, that you can add to whatever level you can currently cast. Hence in pnp they are even stronger. But indeed, their best use is in a fighterish class, not a caster type.

9. Shadow Cougar Banned

Hmm..I forgot how Dragon Disciple works, can somone give me stats ?

10. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Stats - Red Dragon Disciple
    Hit Die: d6. Special (see Abilities below)
    Proficiencies: No additional proficiencies are gained.
    Skill Points: 2 + Int Modifier

Requirements
    To qualify as a red dragon disciple, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:
    Class: Sorcerer or Bard
    Skills: 8 Ranks in Lore
    Tip: Only sorcerers or bards can become a dragon disciple -- either class is equally suited.

Background
    It is rumored that the magical powers of sorcerers and bards are somehow connected to the presence of dragon blood in their family tree. Red Dragon Disciples are sorcerers, and sometimes bards, who use their magical power as a catalyst to ignite their red dragon blood, realizing its fullest potential. They prefer a life of exploration to a cloistered existence. Already adept at magic, many pursue adventure, especially if it furthers their goal of finding out more about their draconic heritage. They often feel drawn to areas known to harbor dragons.

Abilities
    Draconic Armor (Level 1): +1 to natural armor class
    Draconic Ability Scores (Level 2): gains +2 to Strength
    Breath Weapon I (Level 3): can use the breath weapon of a red dragon, doing 2d10 points of damage.
    Draconic Ability Scores (Level 4): gains +2 to Strength
    Hit Dice d8 (Level 4): now gains d8 hit-points per level.
    Draconic Armor (Level 5): +2 to natural armor class
    Hit Dice d10 (Level 6): now gains d10 hit-points per level.
    Draconic Ability Scores (Level 7): gains +2 to Constitution
    Breath Weapon II (Level 7): can use the breath weapon of a red dragon, doing 4d10 points of damage.
    Draconic Armor (Level 8): +3 to natural armor class
    Draconic Ability Scores (Level 9): gains +2 to Intelligence
    Wings (Level 9): the red dragon disciple gains wings.
    Half-Dragon (Level 10): becomes a half-dragon. Gains darkvision and immunity to sleep, paralysis and fire.
    Draconic Ability Scores (Level 10): gains +4 to Strength, +2 to Charisma
    Draconic Armor (Level 10): +4 to natural armor class
    Breath Weapon III (Level 10): can use the breath weapon of a red dragon, doing 6d10 points of damage.

Red Dragon Disciple - Epic Levels (level 21+)
    Embracing his draconic heritage is but one stop on the disciple's life journey. His quest to understand, command, and harness his draconic energies has taken him into the realm of the epic.
    Hit Die: d12
    Skill Points: 2 + Int Modifier every level
    Bonus Feats: 1 bonus feat every four levels
    Breath Weapon: Your breath weapon damage potential increases by 1d10 for every 3 levels after 10th. The save DC against your breath weapon increases by +1 every 4 levels after 10th.

Epic Red Dragon Disciple Bonus Feats List
    Armor Skin, Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Damage Reduction, Epic Reputation, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Prowess, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Toughness, Improved Combat Casting.

I got that from NWN, as I don't have Tome and Blood (Think that's the book with DD stats)

11. Shadow Cougar Banned

Yup, I'll said what I said the first time :

Have good spellcaster stats + workout a high speed and you can grow seriously ridiculously strong...orient to a fighter and trickly gain these abilities and you will grow into a ridiculously powerful basher with no weaknesses...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.