1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What type of roleplayer are you? (The GNS Theory)

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Aikanaro, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

http://www.mjyoung.net/rpg/gametype.html

I'm very interested to see how you people score, especially people like Oaz who I tend to have the same argument over again and again with...
    Anyway, the GNS theory is fun and damn useful. Now I know how completely incompatable me and Octara are in the way of roleplaying...

For me the results went (in that order): G/N/S/D/F/K = 12/21/12/17/14/10

Fear the overwhelming narrativism...

(The whole GNS theory thing is at The Forge if you're interested)

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I rated as follows:
    G-20/N-20/S-13/D-11/F-14/K=18

I think this is a fair assessment except I'm suprised Fortune was as high as it was. Prehaps a longer quiz would show more variation.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

G - 19
    N - 16
    S - 17
    D - 17
    F - 15
    K - 15

As you can see, I like 'em all pretty well. I particulary enjoy "gamism" since I like playing RPG's for the sake of playing a game. If there is any aspect of RPG's that I dislike, it is turgid, melodramatic roleplaying. Whiny, effeminate roleplayers should learn to enjoy bashing orcs and getting kewl l00t.

Okay, the last sentence was in jest. Sort of.

[ August 01, 2004, 07:19: Message edited by: Oaz ]

4. Jaganis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I got G-12/N-17/S-6/D-14/F-4/K-7

So I'm like, the extreme Dramatic Narrativist? I'm proud! :thumb:

5. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

G - 18
    N - 19
    S - 16
    D - 17
    F - 14
    K - 12

6. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

G - 16
    N - 16
    S - 12
    D - 13
    F - 16
    K - 20

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

G - 17
    N - 21
    S - 15
    D - 21
    F - 13
    K - 18

The Simulationist's rather low score was a surprise to me. Reading the description of what how such characteristics should appear in real life, I can see why though. And I certainly disliked scoring so high on the Fortune sector. The only reason I did that though was because I want surprises, clichés are rarely good. Too bad the test didn't allow for marking "surprises" as something controlled with a purpose in mind, instead of dumb luck.

I'm satisfied with the results though. The Narrativist's description really hit home with me, always being one to create my own realities and worlds in my head with my vivid imagination. :)

Btw, the Fortune part seems to be rather low with everyone. Compared to the others at least. Tired of missing 20 times in a row or dying in a ridiculously unopportune moment thanks to rolling a 1? ;)

Thanks for the topic Aik, been a while I enjoyed a test this much. Too bad the form requires rather much reading and making your own notes, as it seems to throw people off a bit.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Found this an interesting test. Regarding the luck scores: Luck does play a part in RL but ability is more important. IMO this carries over into RPG. If I have a really good character or party I think their ability should count the most. If poor then maybe an occasional lucky role but it should be rare. That's my opinion.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I quite like fortune actually, but so long as it gets combined with a good deal of dramatism (Systems like The Pool and Shadows). Fortune can enhance the narrativism with unexpected things happening.

I find karma to be boring. It doesn't leave things open for interesting situations. You have a high score, someone has a low score -> Horrah, victory! :sleep:

10. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

G/N/S/D/F/K = 17/17/15/10/13/10

Well then.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Gamism 9
    Narrativism 16
    Simulationism 15
    Drama 11
    Fortune 12
    Karma 11

The story is key, but it doesn't justify careless rule breaking. The rules are important to maintain in order to achieve an honest outcome, but sometimes they make no sense, especially when they favour political correctness over realism. Simulation must prevail there. However, that something is not really probable doesn't yet make it totally impossible. Therefore, there's always a place for a lucky dice roll. Drama is a nice thing, but it shouldn't take precedence over realism and it must serve an organised storyline - unless the storyline is improvised and drama-driven, but that's a different point. Karma doesn't really have that much of appeal. Granted, almost nothing you do is altogether inconcsequential, but you don't need karma for that. Logic is enough. Logic and a healthy sense of realism. Fortune? Things happen. And that would be it.

12. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Aik finally forced me to take the test...

G: 14
    N: 17
    S: 13
    D: 13
    F: 12
    K: 12

I really do have low scores compared to the rest of yous... What am I doing here?!

13. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

lol, I apparently care less about the mechanics than how the game is played :)

G 18
    N 17
    S 14
    D 10
    F 12
    K 11

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    G = 11
    N = 20
    S = 11
    D = 13
    F = 11
    K = 11

I too prefer a good story above all else. If the rules interfere with how the story unfolds, to hell with 'em! :roll:

[ August 10, 2004, 16:06: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

15. Shadow Cougar Banned

Just great. I can't view the site, error function control. -.-

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.