1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Para-elemental Planes?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Observer, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Observer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Pretty much what the topic says. Can anyone explain to me what these are? I've heard of the elemental plane of lava, which is like a combination of earth/fire elements, are there others? Do they have there own elementals etc? Where do I find out more?

[ December 30, 2003, 23:37: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Jaganis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It is elemental planes, but not truly elemental planes, the thing about para-elemental planes, as i understand them, is that they can be almost anything you want as a DM, example: The Para Elemental plane of Ooze, quite a nasty place but it could be a good addition to a cosmology. Some exambles on para-elemental planes are Dust, Sound, Ectoplasm, Magma, Ice, Patato Chips, the list is endless, I think. Look at the Manual of the planes, you can maybe find some help there.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Here goes from the Manual of the Planes:

-Air + Water = Ice (silly if you ask me)

-Air + Fire = Smoke

-Earth + Water = Ooze

-Earth + Fire = Magma

As you can see, combinations of Fire and Water or Air and Earth do not mix because they are opposing elements. At least this is the case with 3E. In the Manual of the Planes, there is more information about the paraelemental planes and paraelemental creatures.

Here goes from the little that I know from 2E:

-Air + Negative Energy = Void/Vacuum

-Water + Negative Energy = Salt (possibly, IIRC)

-Fire + Negative Energy = Ash

-Fire + Positive Energy = Radiance

-Earth + Positive Energy = Mineral (as in gold, gems).

Obviously, there are more combinations, but that's all I can remember. You'll probably have to consult online sources (which are almost always shaky at best unless it's official) or somehow find a 2E book. Keep in mind that if you are playing 3E/3.5E, none of the elements + pos/neg energy stuff exists officially, even in the 3.5E DMG.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, If I were you I'd ignore what the books said and make up whatever you want. The rulebooks of D&D are far too restricting.

5. Observer Gems: 1/31

Thanks everyone! I'm asking because I'm going to try to get my DM let me take a para-elemental plane instead of a regular for my elemental savant prestige class.

Ooze elemental! :D Yay!

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Perhaps it's worth looking into Masters of the Wild. Iirc that book had a prestigeclass that dealt with ooze as well. An oozemaster iirc :)

7. Observer Gems: 1/31

Oozemaster sounds fun but i've never been that fond of druids. *shrug*

8. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

check out your 3E monster manual, look up mephits.
    Every one of those little guys is either from a parælemental plane or a quasielemental plane. Quasis are the positive and negative ones. Positive-air is lightning/storms.

Yeah, but there are some cool ones, I'm a fan of the Liquid-hot-magma paræmental plane.

And yes, those æ's are obligatory when writing parælemental. Actually, I'm using them wrong because the a and the e are two distinct syllables. But that does little to tarnish the unparalleled coolness of æ in my post. alt-657 if you're curious, 8 for caps.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.