1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

May clerics use caltrops?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Thunder, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I'm playing a cleric in one campaign and he frequently uses caltrops for defensive measures. When setting up camp, caltrops are there, when sleeping in a inn caltrops are set up near the window, when making a hasty retreat caltrops are there to slow the bad guys down. My DM doesn't have a problem with this, and neither do I, but I was wondering what YOU would say about this.

My explanation is that since it's a passive item it doesn't count as a weapon, you cannot wield it to bash someone's head in. You don't force people to step into it, and if they do it's their own fault. Actually I just think of it like a small version of blade barrier ;) So what do you think?

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

that depends on the diety, but personally I dont see a problem with it either.
    It's wise :)

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

*shrug*

It really depends. Sticking a caltrop in a captured goblin's foot and slowly twisting it in is one thing, but throwing some in the way of a charging troll is another. Think of it as a portable trap.

But this is mainly an RP/character concept problem. Assuming you're playing a cleric of a help-the-good, smite-the-evil deity, caltrops in themselves are fine.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Personally I think the rule of not using spikey stuff is stupid, so even if you are getting around the rules with this - you should ignore the rule completly unless your deity is specifically against it for some reason or another.

5. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Aren't cleric being allowed spiked and bladed weapons in the new rules? I don't do pnp, so I haven't actually read 3rd ed. but in both IWD2, NWN and ToEE my clerics have no objections to use longswords and the like.

That being said, I did like the rule for them to only use blunt weapons. Now I hardly care about slings and hammers/maces anymore...

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yep, they're allowed to use any weapon (except for certain magical weapons, depending on alignment/deity). But they pretty much get stuck with crappy stuff, like maces, spears, or daggers. :square:

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] It's really the different between simple and martial weapons, which is much more reasonable than only blunt weapons. After all a cleric can use a feat to gain a martial weapon is they really want one. Moreover some war-like domains allow martail weapons as there granted power.
    As for you cleric's choice in weapons. If your god does not object and there is a good RP reason for why not. Who do you worship anyway? It could be great for the god a of trickery.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.