1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Book of Exalted Deeds

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Oaz, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Okay, so I'm guessing a number of us are familiar with the Book of Vile Darkness (the actual book in your local Barnes & Noble, not the magic item). Now the Book of Exalted Deeds, the good counterpart to the BoVD, is going to be out (release date October 2003).

Here are some of my thoughts on it, just about the nature of the book.

It's not going to sell well. BoVD was clearly meant for DMs who wanted to make their campaigns more interesting (or just bleaker). Likewise, it had the appeal of, "This book is spooky, mom and dad won't let you touch it, so it's GOT to be cool!" However, the number of gamers who have interest in playing holy, clean-white paladins and clerics are relatively few. DMs will have little use for this, since a large amount of energy spent in adventures and modules is often on evil NPCs or plots. Also, the "sacrifice" spells seem, well, a tad useless, since I have my doubts whether I (or other people) as a player would be willing to take the sacrifice costs just to cast one spell, unless I was on some sort of roleplaying binge.

I think that Wizards had to do this; it would just feel kind of, well, "off" if they published a BoVD, but not a BoED. Still, I think that once we actually take a look at the book, we can decide how useful it actually will be. So far, the uses include determining the nature of good, making good NPCs (which are relatively few in most campaigns; the PCs are the good guys), and making enemies that punish PCs that have been acting evil.

Also, the BoED will probably have more good-aligned monsters and more descriptions of powerful and unique good outsiders, something I believe has been missing in D&D for a while.

Probably one of my main concerns with this is that it may help to spread the notion that all Lawful Good people (and just good ones too) are shiny, arrogant, clean people who go around killing and beating up everyone they deem to be unfit. Hopefully the BoED will have as much emphasis on mercy, kindness, sacrifice, as it will have on fighting demons and banishing evil.

There are some excerpts from the Wizards website:

Except from the Book of Exalted Deeds

Anyways, I hope those who bought the book can give their feedback here.

[ October 07, 2003, 12:43: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I also don't think it is going to sell well, but for a different reason.

From the link Oaz provided:
    Not many people would want to think about this deep stuff while playing D&D. D&D is mainly done for relaxation and fun, and should not be a trip to the Alley of Dangerous Angles. I also wonder how many 'mature' players there are. There are probably some people who play very seriously and might use this book in a campaign, but I don't think there will be many. The book will probably be fun to read, but not to use in a campaign.

The art they show looks good, I can't wait until they put more of it online.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    We all know who WILL be getting it, yes?

*points at a certain Pally-wannabe*

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I agree that the 'mature' D&D player is not the norm. My group will difinately be using the BoED. I enjoyed the BoVD and I agree that balancing the scale was a requirement for WotC. OUr group is made up of 'older' (around 30 years old) players who have around 15 years experience each. All gaming is not about hack and slash. Having RP is a key element, and the concepts of ethics and morality play heavily into the framwork. Parties are usually good, but what does that mean. There are many different forces working for good and they are not all the same. We need to flesh them out in order to create a truly dynamic compaign.
    There are many 'good' element in the game that the BoED can help with. The PCs are not always the only, or most powerful force for good in the campaign. At low and medium levels the PCs should only be minor players in the bigger picture of good vs. evil in the world. As their power increases so too should their role. Due to this fact the DM should be spending as much time developing the 'good' power in their campaign as the evil. Thus, the BoED is of great value.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

*drums fingers*
    Still waiting for Anger of Angels..

Be it my preference of author =)

7. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I am DM-ing an all-paladin party, so I would buy the book if I were playing 3ed. But i'm not...
    2ed rules!

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] So has anyone picked up a copy yet? If so what do you think? I suspect I'll be getting a copy untill the reviews are rather poor, which I doubt for a Monte Cook product.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.