1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tips for an aspiring DM?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Arabwel, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Okay, so i got the core rulebooks. I lack the players as of now, but soon I will have them in my grasp! *muahahaha!*

Now, what this topic is all about, is asking you exalted, experienced DMs for tips: Got any good ones, useful ones, funny ones, anything that you deem might be helpful?

[ September 06, 2003, 13:51: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Here are a few tips:

- Read the books, know the rules. The game is a lot faster and interesting if you don't have to look everything up.

- Prepare. No matter how how quickly you can adapt or make things up, good preparation is everything.

- Do not be afraid to kill or hurt your players. No level 1 character insults a red dragon and lifes to tell the tale.

- Give the players multiple options. There are more ways to finish a quest, don't force them into one direction.

- Good DMing isn't something you can learn from a book, it is learned by playing. Just get as much experience as possible and listen to the feedback and opinions the players give.

- And a last tip; read Slappy's reply in this post.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Manipulate your PCs in such ways that they don't know they're been manipulated. Make them at least believe that everything they do is by their own free will.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Have fun.

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

And make sure the players have fun.

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Know what your player want, Lotsa Action? Heavy Politic? Divine intervention for a Holy quest? Money? shrimp? (forget the last one) Also know their motive, if one player only want money or item as reward don't give him ¨the satisfaction of having saved many and many gnome¨ And most important give yer player FREEDOM as it is the most important thing if your player doesn't feel he decide his choice he will unlikely(sp?) liked it.

7. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Look at the DMG and the things to avoid listed there.

Avoid those. :mad: I hate DMs who don't.

*Runs off to slay Elminster and other good aligned uber-NPCs*

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Be prepared to be unprepared.

Basically what i mean is, expect the players to go off in an area or something that you haven't prepared for. Do your best (though don't try forcefully and blatantly) to lead them back to the plot you desire. Create a side plot for the side tracked players that will lead them back to the main plot of your game.

Have a random encounters table for instances like these.

I also find its kewl if the DM is able to present a visual of the location, be it painting, drawing or whatever

9. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you can, avoid overpowered NPCs. I consented to let one of my long-time players DM for a day and he blew it because he decided to include his own little NPC with the group.

Basically, what that amounts to is mental masturbation and is very boring for everyone else.

10. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Choices are one thing but I've noticed there are people who would do anything to wreck your campain or just the opposite of what they're supposed to, don't let them, no matter what other guides say because it eventually ruins the fun for everyone. If people get too stupid I don't allow an action.

11. Sendel'ar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

And avoid getting the players to laugh about the story, It's ANNOYING!

12. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Hey! Laughing is good for you.
    If one of your players laughs at your story, laugh as well, hit them over the head with a cricket bat. Then find out what's wrong and fix it.
    Don't get annoyed by it. :rolleyes:

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I'm going to disagree with rastilin about not allowing an action. Let them be stupid and then don't hold any pounches. Let them know their action may be dangerous. If they continue kill them off. If this happens again uninvite them from you gaming group. Remember if one player is detracting from the enjoyment of everyone else why are they there. Get rid of them and improve things for everyone. I somes like these players are extremely immature and not worth having in a serious campaign anyway.

14. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Know your players. Some want to roleplay, others want to have the most powerful character possible and still others only want to have fun and nothing else. As soon as you know what your players expect from you and from the game they are playing, you can try to fit the campaign to their expectations. The more experience you get as a DM the easier this will be (hopefully...)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.