1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Time Spent on Character Creation

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by RingMaster, Aug 15, 2003.

1. RingMaster Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] How Long does it usually take for you take make a good character for a campaign?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 31 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Time Spent on Character Creation (31 votes.)

Time Spent on Character Creation (Choose 1)
    * Less Than An Hour... - 10% (3)
    * 1-2 hours - 29% (9)
    * 2-3 hours - 39% (12)
    * A Session - 3% (1)
    * A Week - 10% (3)
    * More Then A Week - 10% (3)

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

A week or more. Well the few characters that I have created that is...

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

When I make a character I throw myself into it, taking about an hour or so. I can't understand why people take so long in many cases *glares at several people who know who they are*

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I work out my characters to the point where it's insane :) Think 10 page long backgrounds, which lay the foundations for my character's uhm... character ;)

The building of the character stat/feat/skillwise usually takes me an hour or so to get the general idea. But if I'm given longer, I will constantly make changes to get what I think would be best.

Hell, I've got characters that I've been working on for 5 months, and that are only now nearing completion :grin:

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I filled in the character sheet of my last character in about half an hour. I spend another ten minutes writing his bio.

Another player in my campaign spent about 3 hours filling in his character sheet. It took him about 15 minutes to decide what color eyes his character should have. It took him another week to write a bio of three sentences stating that he was hunting the murderers of his family. :rolleyes:

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Over a month. Ask Oaz :lol: :shake: :grin:

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    A character can never be truly complete - just as people change over the course of their lives, so do characters grow and mature and change over the course of a campaign. I take maybe half an hour to come up with a plausible and coherent, if sketchy, background that explains why the character will act in particular way to particular situations. That's all that's really needed for me to roleplay - I find much more than that to be confining. From then on, I let the character's experiences determine how those base-level motivations and reactions evolve.

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I usually use 3 days.

I pour myself into the first draft of the numeral design, then add some tidbit guidelines for his bio.
    Think it over for a night, next day make finishing touches on the character numeral design making it match the bio I have outlined in my head. Then start writing bio.
    Third day I usually finish/make additions to the bio, while editing the all to fit final touches.

the longer time I have for the concept, the more I return and edit it. (start the game Oaz! lol) :D

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

:lol: , Chev, Lokken.

A character? An hour to start off, a campaign to complete.

10. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'm with Rallymama on this one. For the initial backstory of a PC, I can spend as little as ten minutes to at most half an hour.

The character develops personality-wise as the campaign moves along.

For me, my PCs to the DM usually are: " A soldier of fortune, selling his services as a warrior to the highest bidder."

Then I work from there, fleshing him out as I go along. After all, how much of a backstory does a LVL 1 character have?

As I almost always play fighters or fighter/rogues, my builds are much similar for each PC: weapon focus, specialization, expertise, improved disarm/trip, sometimes TWF, etc etc.

Other classes either bore or put me off. Wizards and sorcerers? Nice but no thanks, I like a sword or knife in hand. Monks? Cool, I might want to try one someday. Druids/Rangers? 'Burn trees! Kill squirrels! Wear fur!' sums up my view on environmental issues. Barbarians? Too mindless in combat. The fighter is much more tactical. Clerics? It's always someone else. Paladins? Yeah right.

And bards...just...suck. :(

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Oh, probably creating a paladin takes times longer than some other character... You know, preparing the pedigree takes at least a week, and you must also prepare heraldic achievement, especially coat-of-arms, the blazon, all the titles to be used in different places on different occasions - it does need time.

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

I dislike getting into too much detail with the backgrounds. I did once, where I really worked it all through, but he wasn't fun to play. I could think of nothing new. So now I just start out with a sketchy start, or just quickly think of something if my character is asked.

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I answered 2-3 hours on your poll but that is simply for basic creation. As it was said above, a character is never finish. Your character continues to grow and change as the game progresses. Your learn more about them, why they do what they do, and how they act in certain situation. This help you fill in more of the blank spaces in your character. I've run PCs for over 2 years and still consider then a work in progress.

14. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I usually DM, so i haven't made many characters, though a character that I made for a different RPG in my friend's campain took mabye 30 minutes, mabye more for his sheet, and is backround I had been thinking off and on for a a few weeks.

15. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It takes me about 5 hours... without the background...

My DM created a character in half an hour... that was quick.

But it really depends on the dice. I mean I rolled about 21 times for the abilities but none of them was good enough :eek: . Then the DM -tottaly irritated and annoyed by my bad luck- invented his :D own.

16. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

It really depends if my character was to have a biography etc.

So basically, a bog standard character would hit about 1/2 hour to an hour but a fully fledged character would take about 2 or so hours

17. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My characters develop over time (never fully completed like Rallymana, Shura and Voltric pointed out) but I usually take about an hour or two to write (or type up) a good character outline and all the statistics and stuff -- unless I really throw myself into the character. Like I spent 6 hours "creating" this one character because I wanted all of the details to be perfect. But my D&D characters often end up like the characters for my books. I start off with a vague idea of who they are and add on loads of detail (everything from their history to why they do what they do) as I go along. Works better for me that way, then I don't feel restricted to keep within my character's role the whole time but my character grows with me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.