1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gnomes and 3.5E

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Oaz, May 27, 2003.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I play a gnome, and I found this article on the Wizards site: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rs/20030527a

Let's examine what we have different here now, and what we can see in 3.5:

Like elves, gnomes get proficiencies with the hooked hammers. Makes sense now, because that's a gnomish weapon (but you knew that).

So now not only do we have improved saves vs. illusions, the DC for casting them is slightly higher. Of course, +1 to DCs for illusions isn't particulary spectacular, except in the case of Phantasmal Killer.

So the Alchemy skill is replaced by the Craft (alchemy) skill. Huh. I find this a bit silly because Craft is a class skill for practically all classes. But hopefully in the 3.5 PHB, it will be stated that Craft (alchemy) is only a class skill for Wizards, Sorcerers, and Adepts. Because Barbarian alchemists are weird.

Nice to know that Charisma is less of a dump stat now for Gnomes, although it really is only three twinky illusion/fanciness spells.

My initial reaction to this was "What the heck?", and it pretty much still is. I suppose the Bard list will probably be revised to include more illusions and enchantment spells than before, but less evocation/conjuration ones.

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Bard is a strange choice for favored class. Why bard? Illusionist fits much better. Or even sorcerer.

I have to quote this from PHB's Bard description:
    "There are no bardic traditions among dwarves, gnomes , or halflings, though occasional individuals of these races find teachers to train them in the ways of bard"

:rolleyes:

Other improvements are good, although not necessary at all.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I never imagined a gnome as a performing kind of guy, but it does fit with the pranking side of the gnome.

The changes look good, it looks promising.

4. Register Gems: 29/31

You want someone whom should be a bard and not a thief/illusionist? Jan, the teller of all bad jokes, pranker of the millenia and mix the two classes and you get...

...a bard. :)

5. Bulges Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The way I read the part about the hooked hammers is that if the gnome takes a class that has proficiency in martial weapons, the gnome will also get the hooked hammer. So a gnome fighter would get hooked hammer, whereas a human one would not unless he took the right Exotic Weapon feat. This would also mean that a gnome sorcerer or wizard would NOT gain proficiency with a hooked hammer since neither of them gain any martial weapons. This description says that the gnome treats the hooked hammer as a martial weapon, not that they get automatic proficiency.

Or am I reading it wrong?

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Your interpretation seems right to me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.