1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you explain DnD to nonplayers?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Faragon, May 27, 2003.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm trying to explain to a friend of mine what tabletop DnD exactly is, but I'm having difficulty of getting her to understand it. :) I thought about using the famous "I cast... Magic Missile" stuff, but I think that somehow, that be more confusing :grin:

Anyone have experience with this?

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Just bring it down to the essence of the game. Tell her it is a roll-playing in which you use your imagination to beat monsters etc. You play the roll of another person in a world with dragons, unicorns and trolls. It is kind of a medievel setting in which you experience all sorts of adventures.

That is as simplistic as I can think of it, but you often get strange looks when you tell this. You could also use references like the Dungeons & Dragons animated series or explain it is like LOTR, this often helps people understand it better.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I tried the LotR thing, but that didn't really seem to quite hit it. She asked if I could tape one of the sessions :grin: I think that would make her go :confused: even more :p

I just saw that the DMG has an example of play in it, on page 130. I'm going to try that as well...

4. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I always thought that the example of play on page 130 of the DMG was kind of boring and only displayes a game of a very serious group (maybe all D&D groups are very serious, but with mine it sometimes seems like we tell more jokes than beat monsters). It shows how the rules work, but it doesn't really show the best thing about D&D: having fun with your friends.

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

True enough. My group isn't that seriously either. Perhaps it's a 'dutch group' thing ;)

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Nah, I am from Sweden and my group is sillier than Jan and Boo together.

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I normally end up saying something like this:

It's a social get-together to have some fun. There is one person who is in charge and applies the rules of the game, like a referee. He/she also has access to a story and tries to describe settings, places and characters to the other players. The other players assume a role and interact with each other and the situations being described. They also use their skill and judgement to work through any puzzles or problems encountered. Dice are also used to introduce an element of luck and variation.

It's a bit like working through a book together where one person knows the rough outline of the plot but the others are free to react to developments as they like. Most games are based on medievil fantasy type settings like Lord of The Rings.

Oh, I don't know, just give it a try :)

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I've always thought of it like a play or a movie.

The players are the principal actors.

The DM is the director, narrator, and he sets up scenery and action.

The movie takes place in a fantasy world, where magical is real, monsters live, and anything can happen.

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I would say "Role-playing game", but ironically, that has been more frequently associated with computer games like Final Fantasy and Diablo, which hardly have the potential for one to role-play.

10. Bulges Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Here is what I do...

I tell the person to pick some well-known (at least to her and I) fictional fantasy character from books, movies, etc. This tells us what kind of equipment the character has without even consciously working that out. Plus, since the character is well known, her personality is as well. This way, she can play 'as' the character without much thought.

Once she does that (we'll say she picked Red Sonja), it goes like this...

Me: Okay, you 'are' Red Sonja. You decide her actions as if you were her. Ready?
    Her: ...yeh...
    Me: Alright, you are standing outside a cave, it is raining outside and your are at least a days travel from the nearest town. You are worn out from a hard days walk. What do you do?
    Her: Um...go into the cave.
    Me: Why?
    Her: Because it is raining outside and not in the cave.
    Me: Okay. You move towards the cave and the relative warmth and dryness it promises. As you find a comfortable spot, you hear a noise further back in the cave. What now?
    Her: Stay still and wait, ready to pull out my sword.
    Me: At first it is silent, but then you hear the noise again. It sounds like something is sniffing.
    Her: Pull my sword out.
    Me: As you unsheath your sword, the source of the sound appears. It is a bear and judging by the slobber from his chin, you must look like a tempting meal.
    Her: I wait. If it comes at me, I attack. If it leaves, then so do I. I don't want to get eaten in my sleep.

Now usually, I have them there. But some people need more. I just continue until they 'get' it. I've brought a few people into game this way. Give it a try.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.