1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dark Elves, or Surface Elves?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Icingdeath45, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I was just wondering what you like more, Dark Elves or Surface Elves. I like drow. :yot: My custom title is in drow and says "Beware the assassin with a bitter blade."

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Drow elves are so much of a cooler fad than surface elves. :p

I think this might be suited in the D&D Forum. Oh well, whatever.

Off-topic as well, I thought "natha" meant "first".

[ April 08, 2003, 00:43: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

3. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Natha probably means whatever the writer of whichever book you've read it in wanted it to mean.

I find it very hard to believe there are any established dictionaries that all writers of drow fiction subscribe to.

That being said, to answer the question in the topic: Both. I like surface elves as heroes and dark elves as wicked villains. Heroic dark elves have been far overdone. Evil surface elves are ok though, as there is always room for another villain.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Natha means 'a' or 'the'.

I prefer surface elves though drow are mighty cool

5. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Even though the drow are cool, you get bored with them after a while. And surface elves are much cooler anyway. :D

6. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31

It says in the dictionary I use that a=Natha

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Intersting, then, considering that "Ust Natha" is the name of a city. It's an odd language that makes "a" go after a noun.

I think elves of both kinds are tired and stale. I just don't want something from an elf. I think the perspective of an orc, ogre, goblin, kobold, etc. would be considerably more interesting.

8. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Then what does Natha in Ust'Natha mean? :confused:

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well Natha in Ust Natha might still mean a. Drow could be grammatically different from English. This makes me wonder what Ust stands for.

10. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

'Ust' actually means first (Not to be confused with 'usst' which means mine).

But on topic, I like them both. They both have something special.

11. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Oh, that's right, the topic at hand :doh: :grin:

I prefer drow. The whole society thing just has more... more... "body" compared to that of the surface elfs. I'd very much like to roleplay a drow in a drow society. Perhaps a lower house trying to gain a more prominent position in society? If done with the right DM/Players/Characters, that could be very interesting to do.

12. Deimos Phenom Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I don't mind elves, but I get tired of the same thing over and over. All I ever see elves as are wizards or archers of some sort. I never see elven rogues, or elven fighters, or even elven barbies. Occasionally you see an elven cleric. And they always have the same cut-and-dry, boring backrounds. "Bob the elven fighter grew up in the forest, and liked to use [insert weapon here]. Then he started off to make his fortune on his own. The end." Makes me wanna barf. The worst is when some chump plays a Drow ranger dual-wielding scimitars. One guy went so far as to NAME the character Drizz't. I felt like beating him up, but I just had a remorhaz eat his character instead. We all taunted him for weeks.

13. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Wait, does anyone know where there is a good drow dictionary? I can't find mine.

14. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Go seach whatnots and booktalk, i remember some mentioned there.
    For me drow are perfect, and cool villain types. [Valas from Insurrection is cool].And surface elves are a little bit darker than what Tolkien has mentioned.I mean they are not that "milk child" type.
    I like half-elves most.

15. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31

@Tarsakh: search in google for Drow Dictiony, or you can search for one on Kazaa

16. Mariana Gems: 2/31

I prefer Drow...there just seems to be more possibilities with them.

17. Malaqai Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The drow are, like their surface cousins, predictable. I like half-drow characters. Evil or good? Do they hate their human, or their drow side. What if a half-drow character falls in love with a human woman? How would she react. Would he be shunned by all? Would he end up alone and bitter. I am just playing one of these now. An evil guy, an assassin actually, but he seems interesting. Really cool. Used to play a halfling barbarian. now THAT is a cool character.

18. Deimos Phenom Gems: 2/31

Half-elves rock. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.