1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting Cities

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Quicksylver, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Greetings everyone.

I just wanted to get a feel for what other cities PNP DND dungeon masters use as starting places for their players (assuming that you start them in a city). I have been using Waterdeep in Faerun (Forgotten Realms) for years, and I'd just like to hear some other places you guys have had good luck with.

Thanks!

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    generaly I use a radom city... I roll a dice to know, it's effective and fast

3. Evil Eye Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Calimport and the Ten Towns.

4. Rekiller Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I use all the Sword Coast North and also Cormyr.

5. MrGrouch Gems: 4/31

I have been using Procampur recently. Other than that, I usually start the PC's while they are traveling or imprisioned. I have found that a good fight right at the beginning of the game usually gets everybody really into the game.

6. Sir Slayer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I started the campaign in Beregost, but I'm going to send the players somewhere else soon... Cormyr or Tethyr maybe.

7. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I usually start in any metropolis, my character likes cities, escpecially big ones.

8. Deimos Phenom Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I only recently started any FR stuff, so when I DM'ed core D&D, I usually started them off in some dinky little village. It allows for certain low-level restrictions (such as equipment). Also, when they finally make it to a metropolis, it's that much more of a culture shock (being in a village for three or four levels, then suddenly being thrust into a city-state of seventy thousand people is enough to make anyone freak out).

9. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31

I like the idea of the Ten-Towns - the weather is rugged, and will allow for the players to get some quick combat under their belts. Also, they're close to a larger city like Luskan. Plus, you could come up with any idea for an abandoned temple or fortress and stick it in the middle of the tundra for the PCs to investigate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.