1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vecna

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by SleepleSS, Feb 5, 2003.

1. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I dom't want to buy the book Deitys and demigods (Did I spell that right?). Since it's not that intresting. But I need the information about Vecna, Is there another place where this can be found?

2. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Vecna Lives, Vecna Reborn, and Die Vecna Die are all 2e adventures that give details on Vecna and his history.

If there is something specific you want to know, ask away. I'll do my best to answer it. Or try searching for him on the Wizards of the Coast message boards, I'm sure he's come up plenty.

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

uhm,...
    Coiuld you explain who that guy was and what he did?

Sorry the only info about him i have is from BG2 where there was a robe of Vecna. In its description there was said something about the hand of Vecna.
    So my guess is he's a mage :rolleyes:

4. Ulicus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, I don't know much about him at all other than the fact that he is the neutral evil Greyhawk god of secrets. He appears as a lich missing his left hand and eye having lost them in a fight with his lieutenant, Kas.

However, thats just taken straight from the players handbook and I know nothing else... I'm more of a forgotten realms person, though Im getting tempted by Greyhawk's less magic orientated world.

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Vecna is a lesser diety, aligned Neutral Evil, from the Material Plane. His domains are Evil, Knowledge and Magic. Followers are Wizards, Sorcerers and Conspirators. He was once a mortal king who became a lich. He lost his hand and eye in a fight with his treacherous lieutenant, Kas. Vecna rules that which is not meant to be known and that which people wish to keep secret.

Vecna plots the destruction of other dieties so that he may take the world for himself.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Vecna was once a mortal king who became a lich. He usually appears as a lich missing his left hand and left eye (his symbol is an eyeball clutched in a left hand). He lost them in a fight with his traitorous lieutenant Kas.

Portfolio: Secrets and intrigue
    Dogma: V. plots the destruction of other dieties, so he can take the world for himself.
    According to V. there is a secret that can destroy any being, no matter how powerfull. In every heart hides a seed of darkness, hidden from all others but the self. Finding that secret is the key to undoing your enemies. Strenght and power come from knowing and controlling of what others do not.

ABout the robe: I don't know. Maybe Vecna wants to keep it secret. :p

edit:
    Whaooo! Sorry Far and others, for some stupid reason (I cant think of any) I just didn't notice you also posted this... :heh:

[ February 06, 2003, 01:19: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The Eye of Vecna and the Hand of Vecna are power artifacts that can grant considerable power, although the bearer of them may turn evil.

They aren't on the SRD, but the statistics for them should be in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

The Sword of Kas (a vampire, IIRC; not the sword, but Kas) is also an artifact - a powerful intelligent sword made by Vecna. It's also an artifact which isn't on the SRD, but is in the DMG.

[ February 06, 2003, 01:27: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

8. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

Some noted accompolishments:
    • Ascending to demigodhood
    • Being imprisoned as a Dark Lord in Ravenloft
    • Escaping Ravenloft (this is a lot harder than one may think)
    • Invaded Sigil (again, damned hard)
    • Momentarily rose to greater godhood
    • Defeated in Sigil by the Lady of Pain, cast down to lesser god status
    I'm not too clear on some of the specifics, as I only have Vecna Reborn, which is his ordeal in Ravenloft. I'm trying to get Die Vecna Die, which is his part in Planescape and interaction with the Lady. I'm interested as to how he planned on defeating the Lady of Pain, something which had killed at least one god before him.

9. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Well Thanks to you all. I didn't know about those 2ed vecna stuff I gonna look for it :) . And check my DMG for the Items :)

10. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I'm working on a Paladin variant. Neutral Evil with Vecna as diety. A Paladin/Sorcerer or Paladin/Mage to be. Depends on what the GM will allow. I could use the background story for character background.

So the three Vecna books, are they novels or what? Or are they simply the tale of what happened, PHB style?

11. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

Vecna doesn't have any novels, those are three 2e modules that often come up when someone asks a more specific question about Vecna. As I said, I've only read Vecna Reborn, which gives details about Vecna's stay in Ravenloft and his escape (presuming the player characters lost...not sure if this is how it happens in canon or not, or if he escapes later).

It also mentions that Vecna is whispered secrets by a primordial being known only as the Serpent. In my mind, the Serpent could be one of three beings: Ahriman, Jazirian, or an embodiment of magic. Jazirian is Lawful Good, so that is almost certainly not true. Ahriman currently masquerades as Asmodeus, though his true colossal form, that of a serpent, lies at the bottom of Nessus.

That leaves an incarnation of magic, in my mind. Or in Vecna's, I suppose. ;)

12. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I believe the Hand of Vecna gives great power if you cut off your own hand and replace it with the Hand. I remember reading about a group of characters who, in a game against another group, tricked them into believing that there was a Head of Vecna that could be used in the same way... :cool: :evil:

13. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Yeah, I've read that too. They took out several characters trying to get the head attached :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.