1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Getting into D&D

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Koveras, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Koveras Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Ok, here's the thing. I want to get involved in the whole "physically rolling dice, getting together with actual people' aspect of D&D, and as such, would like to join a group or some such. However, I live in Australia, in a town where nobody I know is interested in D&D, so therefore, I would like some tips for locating like-minded people. Any ideas? Also, in the event that I DO find such a group, how would I go about getting myself established as a respected DM?

2. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What you need is a _big_ crate, a stick, some rope and some pizza. Now tie the rope to the stick, and use the stick to lift one side of the crate. Now place the pizza beneath it.

Then you wait until someone goes under the crate to get the pizza, then you pull the rope, effectively trapping them under the crate. Don't let them out until they promise to play.

As for the respected part, continue to feed them pizza to keep their loyalty.

Questions?

:D

3. Koveras Gems: 3/31

Yes, one. Say I wished to do the above mentioned things in such a way that would not be construed as unlawful imprisonment/kidnapping?

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yup, Australia is the arse end of the world for D&D. Hell, I can't even find the 3E handbook here, nor have I been able to convince anyone to play.
    If people are interested, whatever you do, don't make them learn the rules! Otherwise they will say "too compilcated, screw it," and leave you gameless

5. Koveras Gems: 3/31

I have decided that I will pay a trip to America, to kidnap the D&D'ers from there, and import them here in a box of flea-bitten monkeys. Screw the law, I want D&D! D&D'ers BEWARES!!!

Of course, if there is some online way of playing, I may consider it instead.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

There are plenty of online places to play, SP is one of them :) . There is also The Red Dragon Inn and Rondaks Portal .
    The Red Dragon Inn is ok if you can stand the jerk of a webmaster and I haven't looked much at Rondaks portal.

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Well you two arent the only ones :)

I've never even played PnP. I went through that tutorial on some offical page (i dont know which).
    So i really want to find someplace to play online.

Where's that on SP?

Maybe i am gonna play afterall. :hopes-high:

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well there is this hidden board called the Roleplay Corner. Very secret. There you can find roleplaying games! See how good its discuise is!

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I don't care how deep in the Outback you are, if you pay for my ticket I'll be right there, and I'll play all the time. I'd LOVE to see Australia. But, of course, I'd have to bring my wife and three kids, and none of them are avid gamers (though my daughters like the dice!)

10. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My wife's brother lives in Perth. I'm thinking of visiting, but hell if they've never heard of D&D ... thats just plain scary.

Any of your friends play crpg's (even, bleh - Diablo 2)

Wayyy Off Topic: My brother had the idea to get D&D banned. Have a reality show like big brother where dudes just play D&D without end for a few weeks. Bliss for some, but since I'm the DM, it would be absolutely painful and very dangerous.

11. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    well get yer friend and do Dungeon Live! I mean who want book and all such? ( ME! ) anyway dungeon-live is realy fun. One of my friend once say that:

I don't need to pay D&D I hit people in chain mail with a metal sword...

12. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] im tired of playing d&d..our dungeon master is so boring...

13. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i had a problem with the people i used to game with, pretty much stopped playing after that.
    if i didnt DM the only other person who would do it was terrible, he loved butchering a low level party (at 1 time 3 level 1 characters were fighting 30 bullywugs).
    when i did DM the players got annoyed when playing because they were too ignorant to a simple feature like scratch marks on the side of a well "geeee... i wonder whats down there, lets drop a rock on it... duh.." 2 seconds later a very angry owlbear flys up to say 'hi'

for the love of god man, if you do get players, make sure they have common sense... but then.. if sense were so common, we would all have it

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.