1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Rules- Leveling

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Muumli the Wayfarer, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My leveling system is very different. You may like it, you may hate it. Brace yourselves...

Leveling experience is standard for all members of a race (human fighters, mages, thieves all require the same amount of experience to reach each level), though the required experience still gets larger. The reason for this is because classes are not as defined as in D&D. When you level up, you get X number of points to spend on skills. If you want to be a thief, you buy thief skills. If you want to be a wizard, you buy wizard skills. There is a base set of skills for each class, and you need a certain skills before you can access the second tier of skills. While the first few tiers are general, as you get to higher levels, the skills become more specific, so your generic thief focuses his talents and becomes an assassin, or a house breaker, etc. as he gets more powerful. Dualclassing and multiclassing are different in that, when you want to take fighter skills after leveling your wizard to 10th, you don't start over at level 1 with the fighter skills, you continue with level 11, but you purchase low level fighter skills instead of high level wizard skills. The same thing is true of someone wanting to create a fighter thief, they would purchase both fighter and thief skills each level or alternate skills each level (both would greatly slow down class advancement while making a more rounded character).

2. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well . . . Its sounds the same as the current 3E rules.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I was hoping for something a bit more classless. Classless systems are more realistic IMO

4. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31

Really, I thought this was pretty classless...
    I was just describing the different skills as 'fighter' skills and 'wizard' skills for clarification, you would still be able to take whatever skills you wanted, its just that, the higher you advance, the more specific your skills become. How would you make it more classless?

And I agree, I does share some qualities with 3e, but it works! :D

5. X Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I definately agree that nonclass advancement is more favorable to me hehe... Of course i would love to call myself whatever i wished depending on what i did hmm

[ January 18, 2003, 13:04: Message edited by: X ]

6. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31

So, X, do you think this is classless? somewhat so? too rigid? I need feedback, please. :rolleyes:

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah, its all good. And classless (my misunderstanding back there)

8. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

There already exists classless systems for D20, though I can't quite remember where I last saw one. Anyway, classless just means the character takes more time to roll up and makes it easier for people to min-max every last bit out of the character. I don't really see the need for it. Multiclassing as a way of customizing in this way works well enough as far as I am concerned.

9. X Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yes, Izaad, I think it is basically classless... but the groups where you get the skills should not be named wizard or fightere or whatnot... They would probably be like (stealth, weapon, trade, fighting, magic, and so on) heh something like those names but also second tier and such sounds good but it also sounds a bit linear. It should be (and maybe this is what you meant(that the more powerful skills should simply have requirements... like some feats do already... but I am rambling now heh and we all know what that means... I have a spoon shoved into a wrong part... lol just messin

[ January 18, 2003, 13:05: Message edited by: X ]

10. Muumli the Wayfarer Gems: 7/31

Azardu raises a good point, that if it is too classless, you just get min maxing, which is why I had the requirements for higher skill tiers. These requirements would mostly be from lower tiers of the same skill division, with the exception of a few crossovers. There would also be a general skills division, open to all characters with minimal requirements.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.