1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is a good class for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Mark Nelson, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Mark Nelson Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I ask because just about all I ever played on CRPGs is Wizard or Sorcerer and I have never played PnP so there is a lot I would like to learn about the game.

2. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'd say a fighter. But it depends somewhat on the edition you want to play. A fighter has the least "special abilities" (as in turning spells etc.) and thus you can focus on things like character development.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Rangers are taken by many cRPG beginners.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

But keep in mind that a Fighter has all those feats to select from, and a beginner might be overwhelmed with all those feats and what he can do with them.

A Paladin or Ranger sounds a bit more straightforward, IMHO.

5. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Try a wizard since you have experience with the class, or a fighter though there are many feats involved. Those two classes are IMO, the most basic, as you do have to learn about feats with any class.

Paladins have a charisma modifier for many abilities so I don't think it really qualifies as basic. Rangers with their favoured class and a few other things can be about the same

*hides in a corner*

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Cleric, they have decent BAB progression, decent spell, and not too many thing to choose! One of my Players began qith a cleric, he still have it, and he realy love him!

7. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My first was a thief, really handy that class.

8. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Rules-wise, pretty much all of the classes are complex in some way, or another, but i'd have to say the least complex are barbarian and fighter. No spells, not even at higher levels, no mounts or turning undead or memorizing spells or spontaneous casting or countless abilities.

The feats are pretty easy to get down. You look over them all, choose some that seem keen to your character, and go with it. All classes have to get feats, and the ones that involve fighting are pretty obvious to find. Barbarian is even easier, pretty much you just roleplay an illiterate wildman that is very combat oriented, and know what it means to rage.

Not to say that either of these classes or inately simplistic [i've seen some really complex, drawn out, and thoroughly interesting things done with a fighter and a barbarian] but their basic aspects are easier to grasp.

Role-playing wise, the Fighter, Wizard, and Cleric are the most versatile. You can fit any personality into these 3 without worrying about alignment conflicts or moral dilemmas.

Take the one that overlaps- the Fighter. Customize him as you see fit, and just run with it. It's good experience because you'll have to fill in all the blanks about who your character is, whereas people can pretty plainly see that the paladin is a paladin and the rogue is a rogue.

Amon-Ra

9. chevalier

Media:
    Right. And you can always dual the fighter to another class you come to know in game if your stats are high enough.

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Assuming you're playing 2nd Edition. :p ;)

11. chevalier

Media:
    In 3E you just pick another class so many times as you like with no stat restriction, don't you?

12. Harkle Gems: 16/31

Exactly so. A fighter/wizard may have INT 9, but then he can't cast any spells. Only alignment and experience penalty restrict multiclassing. So, you can have Lawful good Half-orc Paladin/Rogue/Sorcerer/Cleric/Ranger/Monk.

13. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] i would (and have) gone the fighter for a first character, its pretty easy to play one (move, charge, kill) and to create one (all you need is two or three above average rolls and youre set). pick the fighter for the sheer ease and fun (hack and slash!!!) of it.

14. Erebus Gems: 16/31

well warriors are on of the most basic and beneficial classes, you get 1 extra feat.

15. X Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Fighter is a bit easier in my opinion
    a beginner can grow with the class and figure out if he likes it or if he wants more magical advancement or whatever (i still say nonclass advancement is best hehe)

Lucian

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.