1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

campaign setting

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Elessar, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Do any of you remember a RPG campaign setting made by Columbia Games called Harn? It was an extremely detailed and gritty world where magic was less potent but a more realistic rendition of a world than most I've seen. I had it back in about 1985 and unfortunately lost it along with the rest of my horde of books and mags.

As a follow up question, what is a good campaign setting that is readily available now (assuming I can't find Harn)?

2. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The Forgotten Realms are a good basic campaign setting. It's straight forward and easy to use. If you want a more interactive setting, perhaps you should go and check out Living Greyhawk...

You could also take a look at some more exotic ones, such as Oriental Adventures.

3. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Greyhawk is the least 'high magic' of any of the published D&D settings. However, you should still be able to find the latest edition of the Harn world if you look around. A lot of the regional modules are probably pretty rare, but the basic world set should be readily avialable.

4. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Thank you for your responses. Vormaerin, I did do a little searching and found Columbia Games website. Their entire system is still readily available. I've looked a few times for it and never used the word Harn in my search, only Columbia Games. Have you used it before?

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have read and stolen ideas from many of their local and regional modules. I have never run using the full Harn setting (with the exception of a few mini campaigns using Greyhawk, I have always run in world of my own design).

I did play in one campaign set in Harn, which would have been fine except the DM insisted on using the Harnmaster rules (which are great, if you like being beaten to death by realism).

It is a very well detailed gameworld, written by people with a strong understanding of genuine medieval life. As long as you are careful to keep wizardry and clerical magic toned down and in the background, it is a fine place to use. But if you run with full D&D magic everywhere, the world background would stop making much sense.

6. Elessar Gems: 5/31

I used the Harn environment with AD&D rules for years as my setting but had to modify it to keep the players happy. I also had the Greyhawk world but I never found it that interesting as a DM.

7. Mithrandir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

8. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Thanks for the link. Amazing.

9. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I have tried different settings, and as the current campaign goes(somewhat like FR as far as magic is concerned)I am aiming to bring it to a close, and develop a good working rules set for the next one.
    The next campaign will be sort of a wasteland where most of the area will be affected by wild and dead magic. Religion is nearly dead, and surving mages(wild) will be exiled. Oh, and no elves.

It is difficult to be realistic when working with magic. I can just see the PC's taking a bite at me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.