1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Experience penalty

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by TimeLord, Aug 8, 2002.

1. TimeLord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I have a question for all you people with some 3e experience. How does the penelty för multiclassing work? I know when you get it (non favoured class more then one level higher/lover than other non favoured class)
    But what then?
    Do you recive less Exp?
    Or does your head fall off? :eek:

TimeLord

[ August 08, 2002, 19:45: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

eh? You get less xp. 20% less for each 'class balance violation' you currently have. So, if you are an elf Rogue1/Fighter 3 and you 'earn' 100xp, you only get 80 in actuality.

3. TimeLord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Thank you, that makes it perfectly cristal clear...Gues I can take a silly 20% less Exp to have my character the way I like him...

Timelord

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, me too. It kinda sucks that I get a penalty simply for liking my character to have one level of ranger and two of paladin because of the bonuses. :rolleyes:

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Well TimeLord, as Volar Blackmane pointed out, the XP rule exist to stop people from min/maxing. There is no reason to take 1 level in Ranger or so in Paladin just for the quick bonuses if you're not going to follow the path of that class. The system still lets you do it you just have to pay the penalty. Either play a human and use the favored class feature or live with the reduction in XP. I've never had an issue with this rule and feel it's a grat improvement of both the multi- or dual- classing from 2E.

6. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

:yot:
    I also used the XP-penalty for another reason, which isn't exactly in the rule-book. One of the players in my D&D-party wanted to be a fighter/rogue. I had a rule that you should go into training somewhere if you wanted to gain a new class. He read into the DM guide a variant rule of beginning at apprentice level, that way he wanted to avoid my rule and that way he avoided training for a new class. I didn't approve with that so we made a deal. I would only let him begin at apprentice and have an XP penalty until he reached level 2. He agreed, (well there wasn't any agree-ing, I'm the DM, it are my rules) so that was another solved.

[ August 08, 2002, 21:59: Message edited by: Silverblade ]

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] An interesting use of the XP penalty. What was his big gripe about training. I'd rather train then take a 20% hit on XP any day. Our house rule is that you need to be trained for all levels in a class up to 5th. After that point it is pursumed that you have reach a saficent ability level that you can train yourself. This makes sense and avoids that issue of training later in the game, when to do realistic PCs are far above the norm anyway.

8. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

It is our house rule that you need to train for a new class and a new skill. All further class levels and specializing on a skill is free. So, I guess he just thought it took to much time to go into training.

With the training for a new skills I hoped that the characters would specialize in a few skills, rather then have a lot of skills and not being good in any of them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.