1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: A baby dragon?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Aikanaro, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ok, would you people allow a player in second edition be a baby dragon?
    The guy says that it will have a breath weapon of 1d8+3, 6 hp, a bonus on con and str and can fly four feet in the air. As a dragon it probably also has polymorph abilities.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 11 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: A baby dragon? (11 votes.)

A baby dragon? (Choose 1)
    * You would allow the dragon - 55% (6)
    * You would disallow the dragon - 45% (5)

2. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Dragons don't (to my knowledge. I am a 3E kind of guy) get poweful abilities until they are older. As for breath weapons, that'd be like using a sword, only spread out and not every round. His other attacks would probably be pretty weak and he wouldn't be able to use normal items. I'd say it could make for an interesting game, myself.

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] But the dragon race is far more powerful then other standard races. That player would have a huge starting advantage over their fellow party members. According to the DMG page 22 a half dragon has +3 effective levels, but a full dragon is not even listed. Just for example lets say it doubles that of a half dragon. So that player would have to be 1st level whole the rest of the party was 7th to keeps things even. As you can see this is not a easy or realistic option. Sol'Kanar remember the dragon also gets claw and bite attacks in it's natural form and they can use them every round. In addition the dragon can morph into a human shape and use items like any other character. I mean the dragon deciple is a high level prestige class and you only get half-dragon abilities. It's you campaign, but if I was the DM I'd say no.

[ August 05, 2002, 17:32: Message edited by: Voltric ]

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Second edition? Someone still plays that? :p

But seriously, that depends. How would he level? Like a normal character, but the levels would be slapped over those existing abilities you mentioned? Or he wouldn't level at all, as monsters in 2nd edition don't do that?

If it's the last, then sure, let him. If it's the first, let's see. He'd get six more hit points than other players, with more strength and con (with no penalties, like other races get), a breath weapon, and flight! It might not be able to use all sorts of magic items, but that would be balaced out by his scales (who needs armour) and other abilities (remember dragons also have innate spells they can use. When other players hunt for items, he'll be using his abilities from the beginning.) The only disadvantage would be his looks, which actually might be a bonus if the party meets hostile dragons of his colour (No great one, these are my pets. Please don't hurt them.) If you're willing to face him being more powerful than the others, and possibly changing your campaign because one of your players is a dragon, let him. If you don't, don't let him.

5. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Perhaps I assumed too much. When I allowed someone to play a dragon, they started out as a wyrmling. Then, for every four or so level of everyone else he would grow a size catagory. At first level he might be slightly more powerful, but he wouldn't have any spells or special abilities to start. Dragons don't start with polymorph after all. And claw and bite attacks are pretty weak on a small dragon.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Its seems that there is a majoritory for disallow (the vote I had to make to see the results doesn't count)
    I have no intentions at all of letting the party run into a dragon so that advantage wouldn't come into play until what I've planed is over anyway. (not likly to be soon)
    I am forced to play 2nd edition for the simple fact that I can't find any D&D material where I live. What a bummer

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] 3E dragons are a lot more powerful than 2E. It was just too easy for players to kill a dragon in 2E. Dragons should be hard to kill. After all they are dragons. As for not having any place around to buy 3E books you could always check out the huge collection of material Tal has here at SP for online ordering. I can't imagine you live anywhere that can't be shipped to.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I don't reckon they would be easy to kill (though in this case if this one was weaker it might be a good thing.) If I wanted to I would just make it a bit harder, jack up the stats, make it fly around before toasting it, using its magic...

edit:The problem with buying online is I don't have a credit card, cant get one and my mum has a complex about buying online.

[ August 08, 2002, 10:36: Message edited by: zaknafein ]

9. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

zaknafein,

lots of convenience stores and mini-marts will sell pre-loaded credit cards, debit cards with a fixed amount on them. These work well if you want to make a purchase on-line and you don't have a credit card.

Cullain

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I don't think its quite legal fo a twelve year old to have a credit card in Australia

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.