1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multiclassing my ranger to Ranger/Cleric?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Shadowcouncil, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

hi all, I play a level 6 Ranger that just leveled up. The Cleric in our party might leave soon (he will DM our party and we get an illusionist...) we have a paladin and a ranger, so not muchg healing. I might give my ranger a few cleric-levels... so make him no a level 6 ranger / level 1 cleric and go up to about a level 4 cleric. What are the penalties? My Ranger has a wisdom of 14 so is this worth this?

The only penalty I can think of is that I get Improved Two Weapon Fighting one level later.... And o I also get the XP penalty of -20 percent?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What is the race of your Ranger? You do not get the XP penalty if Ranger or Cleric is a favored class for your race.

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] BTA's race question is key. If you're a human you are all set but if not your race must have either ranger or cleric as a favored class. On the Wisdom issue if you are only going to put a few (4 as you said) level in cleric it shouldn't be a factor. With a 14 wisdom you and cast up to 4th level cleric spells and you get a bonus spell at 1st and 2nd casting level.

4. void Guest

If you are a sylvan elf you will also be fine... Won't the pally have some healing prowess? Lay on hands can heal alot at high levels. Also remember that your ranger gets some divine spells. You could also just buy potions... I hope this was of help,

Cheers, Void

5. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

If you're going to take it just for healing purposes, might I suggest you acquire a Wand of Cure Light Wounds instead? The spell is on the ranger spell list, so using it shouldn't be any problem. And it only costs 750gp and has 50 charges. Better than taking a level of cleric, in my opinion.

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Hmm... The other person decided to play Monk and the Cleric will leave the party soon. So I'm indeed thinking about multiclassing to a cleric.... And I don't see much penalties except for the XP-penalty. Maybe the DM can help me a bit with that with some quest XP for example. I am an elve so it's not a favorit class.... I only take the cleric-class for the healing spells for we just need some healing.. and off course as Ranger I already can do a little bit healing so I already have some experience (that's why I don't understand the penalty, I just go for healing and already know a bit of that) The cleric that leaves our party can be my tutor.

2 questions:

1. Do I still get the Improved Two Weapon Fighting feat when my total base attack is +9?

2. Do I get the Wisdom-bonus (bonus spells) for both my cleric and my ranger-class or just the modifier on the total number of spells?

7. Vanadin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The reason for the penalty is not because you are unfamiliar with the other class.
    It simply comes from having to put a lot of time and effort into both communing with your god and running around the woods honing your tracking skills. You cannot do both all the time, thus it will take you a bit longer to rise.
    I suppose that when both your levels are equal, you have found a good pace in life and are able to squeeze both professions into your tight shedule.

As to your questions:
    1) You may still take the Improved Two-weapon Fighting feat once your base attack bonus reaches +9. You don't get it for free just because you reach the proper battle prowess, you have to spend a feat slot on it. But it doesn't matter at all how many of the +9 that come from the ranger and how many that come from other classes.

2) You get it for both. Great, isn't it! :)

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Thanks. I made my character sheet for Level 6 ranger / Level 1 Cleric.... The problem is if I want balance in the classes or not. I can get the classes equal... But I don't think I want to be a level 8 Ranger / Level 8 Cleric... I rather be a Level 11 Ranger / Level 5 Cleric, so not a Ranger/Cleric but rather a Ranger that is very good in healing.... The 20% xp penalty.. well I can llive with that.....

I forgot last time to select a feat... so I took quick draw as feat so I can switch very quick from Ranged to Melee wich is important when we get a monk in the party, and also good for me so I can use my bow more often.

Thanks for the advice and when you all got more hints, tips, advices, recommendations etc, please post them.....

May the sunlight of Pelor shine on you and bring light in dark times.

Always yours,

Haldir

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Good old Pelor. He is my Cleric's God on one of the campaign I play in. I assume your took the healing domain, since you wanted to focus in that direction.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.