1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Levels in 3e... too easy to gain?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by DeBhaal Stasion, Mar 4, 2002.

1. [​IMG] I finally got the 3e PHB after having the DMG since christmas, and was looking at the XP progression. Granted I like the fact that everyone has the same progression table..isnt it way to easy to get to level 20?

I mean, if you go by the rules in the book, you only need to gain 190,000XP to get to level twenty. Where as in 2e, 190,000XP wouldnt even get you to level nine with most classes.

Share your ideas on this one.

2. void Guest

This would be true, but you gain exp less quickly in 3E (I think). If you don't like it and you're the DM then you can just change it.

3. Vanadin Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Since the experience points in 3e is awarded on a roughly linear scale, and not exponential as in 2e, it will still take you a long time to reach the higher levels.
    In addition 3e awards experience dynamically depending on level.

What has changed is that the time it takes to reach the next level is now constant. It takes just as long to go from lvl 1 to lvl 2 as it does to go from lvl 19 to lvl 20. Whether this leads to quicker or slower level transitions is really up to the DM.

I know from my experiences that it is easy to fall into the trap of awarding too much experience in the beginning of the game. I guess this is from a residual notion that it should be fairly easy to reach lvl 2.
    After that it simply escalates, for surely you can't award the same amount of experience points for quests at lvl 2 as you did at lvl 1?

And so experience points are inflated to the point where my players reached lvl 8 in 9 sessions. DMs, watch out!

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] In addition to the liner nature of the XP the challenge rating system also governer the advancement of characters. I just need to work out the CR for the adventure and forget about 2E while doing it. I've been playing a campaign for 10 months and only went from lvl 3 to 8. If should take about 3 to 4 sessions to go up a level under noraml conditions. But again everyone is different.

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I agree.... we leveled up in 13 sessions from level 1 to level 7.... I miss the time that we feared a group of 3 kobolds :)

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Again, Headbanger every DM is different but to go from level 1 to 7 in 13 sessions is little fast. It should have teken more like 20 to 25.

7. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Also if you read some of the spells they use XP, a lot of XP.

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] A good point by DragonRider. In addition to spells item creation can also suck up XP rather fast. But on the positive side I like the ability to make magic item at low level. It beats waiting until 11 level like in 2E.

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

you just level up quicker in 3rd ed. It has positive and negative points... we just had some luck and kicked a party that the DM didn't put in the game to be kicked... but we still kicked it and so we got lots of XP :)

10. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

DeBhaal: Are you using the XP awards from the 2nd edition Monstrous Manual? The XP needed to go from one level to the next is not as much anymore, but the XP awards given for every monster has changed too.

11. dwayne Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

DeBhall.
    I think that the it is usually the DMs fault in these cases, not the rulebooks or the core mechanics. Your Dm, if he is a good Dm, should have an idea on how fast he wants his characters to progress, and how much XP to award for that rate. This rate should be based on the average rate the players want their characters to progress, the DM should know this. Or perhaps you should find a Dm whom likes a slower pace campaign.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.