1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorites

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by void, Feb 28, 2002.

1. void Guest

What is your favorite race, class, prestige class, campaign setting and so on. Mine are the bladesinger, dragon diciple, spellsword (three prestige classes from tome and blood, a guidebook to wizards and sorcerers) and the arcane archer from the DMG. I don't have a favourite base class, they're all good (though I use the revised ranger as the original is far too weak in comparison to other classes...). I was also wondering how you pronounce kobold (is it "kob-old" or "kob-O"?) and githzerai (is E sound long or short or either?). Also is the plural for githyanki and githzarai the same as the word or does it have an S or something on the end? I'm sorry for putting so much into a single topic but I didn't ant to make two topics in a row...
    Thanks in advance for any answers,

Cheers, Void

2. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I prefer the good old ranger. The deep Woods Sniper is cool too.

I do not think that the ranger is too weak in 3rd edition, but the new guidebook "Masters of the Wild" should help with those of you that think so. The ranger is not intended to be a front line fighter. Too many people look at the ranger as such. The ranger is a scout. He uses stealth to find enemies before they find him, and would soften up a target with long ranged weaponry first. If traveling with a group, the ranger should remain at a distance from the fray, picking off targets until his presence was needed in melee. With multiple options on multiclassing in 3rd edition, balancing the ranger with several levels of fighter (taking one of each up to level 12 total) will also beef up the ranger.

I think Kobold would be pronounced <ko - b au ld>. The e is short in githzerai and both githzerai and githyanki would be the same if plural. (Just my opinion of course)

3. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Favourite? Through 1st and 2nd edition, thieves were always my favourite (the original illusionist would be a close second). But with 3rd edition, I'm leaning towards the bard :) With the new emphasis on skills, the bard is much, much more versatile than before. Plus, now you can have a gnome bard :p

I agree with Baldak: the Ranger is not a weak class. They're just different than the other 'warrior' classes. A ranger should be out hunting things down, and picking them off at a distance or through surprise in combat (hit-and-run or guerilla tactics). They aren't meant to be leading the van in a big fight - that's what straight fighters are for. If you're a powergamer, or just prefer being the go-to guy (or girl) in a fight, than a Ranger is not a good class for you. But if you're a roleplayer, the Ranger is an excellent class.

4. void Guest

Thanks for the opinions folks. I guess you're right about the ranger though I still think it should perhaps get uncanny dodge, evasion and perhaps sneak attack (though much weaker/later that a rouge/monk). Has anyone got MOTW yet, I live in Australia so it comes out a little later here, if so what do you think of it? The other part of rangers I dislike is the way they're so geared towards using two weapons (couln't they have put that it's an ancient tradition of rangers or something...). Another pronunciation question now... How is succubus pronounced? Suck you bus or suck ooh bus? Thanks again for the answers and for any more replies,
    Cheers, Void

5. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I guess I diddn't make it clear that I already have the Guidebook "Masters of the Wild". Well I do.

Succubus is pronounced Suc U Bus, with the accent on the first syllable.

6. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm quite partial to human thieves, through 2nd and 3rd ed. I also like to play a kender once in awhile. (If you don't know what a kender is, read something from Dragonlance)

We just invented a prestige class for the rogue called battlefield chiurgeon, and I'm gonna start playing it in a few weeks. Picture a medic from the Vietnamese war. Someone who goes into battle at the side of valiant fighters with a medical kit, and non-clerical healing abilities (herbalism, knowledge of anatomy, suturing and all that) He will be quick, compassionate, smart, and very brave. I can hardly wait.

My favorite world is a product of the DM's imagination, called Nar. It's where we do all of our campaigning.

7. Well, my favorite class is the Rogue, and prestige class is Assassion. I kind of reworked the Assassin, giving it backstab(only if you take the prestige class as a rogue), allowing it to go to higher levels, and spreading the abilites gained out a little. As to worlds, I'm getting ready to go through the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, but normally go through self-made worlds.

8. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Favorite race? dwarves, nothing else even close.

Class: tough call, but probably straight fighter. Since you can do anything with it.

PrC: Blackguard. Best villian you can have, easily.

Campaign setting: my favorite published setting is Scarred Lands. Chock full of good ideas(and a few bad ones), manages to be both traditional and unique, just very cool.

Cullain

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.