1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to assemble a D&D group?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Snorri, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Snorri Guest

With the absence of my best friends and limeted role play with them, i am facing difficulties, my friend up the road is the DM, he is very good, but others who i know do not fit the picture, does anyone have any good ideas on how i could get a good PnP RPG group together.

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, there used to be Eric Noah's 3rd edition boards. They had a forum called gamers seeking gamers, and I'd see alot of posts for gamers or a DM in a specific city, so I guess part of the time that worked. You could also always post something here looking for gamers in your town. This place attacts people from all over the world. A third and very good option IMO is to join a RC group. It's a great way to have a continuous RPG experience no matter where you are (unless no internet connection).

3. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Our group found people by doing a few things. The DM posted a "gamer wanted" notice on the bulletin board at the local games/hobby shop. It outlined our schedule, style, and other information. Or you could lurk around bookstores in the D&D section, or if you have siblings, you could try to bring their friends to the darkside. We've had success with all these methods.

4. Snorri Guest

Well i will try my local games shop, the assistant mangaer there is a close friend and gamer, so he might help.
    But alot of the people that go there are not my style, i like to meet them outside og gaming hours and have a laugh and a beer with them, most who go to Antics (the shop) smell funny, look real bad, have no sense of humour or cant roleplay to save their lives, also it is flooded with Pokemon players, wrestling and Magic the Gathering, not that magic is bad, but that is my groups problem, we are 3 short, but thanks for the advice

5. Grojlach Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Well, personally I don't really have any problems to assemble a RL group, but I'm also part of several online D&D groups which is perhaps not the same, but could be even more satisfying in a way. People think a little more about their actions and rules...
    Anyway good online sites you could visit for online roleplaying communities are The Elysium Gaming Project and Smoothgame, at both boards I'm planning to DM a game myself in the future (still looking into the rules at the moment)

[This message has been edited by Grojlach (edited November 03, 2001).]

6. Smoothbrain Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Snorri I am in the same boat as you. Basically all my RL friends that play are not around here anymore. But I used to go to this annual gamers convention at Princeton U. Maybe some of the unis near you might have something similar. Also, don't be afraid to ask some friends who have never gamed before. They can start out just tagging along and might find they really want to play.

7. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What, you mean this board? :D All of Eric Noah's former boards are now a part of EN World.

8. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

How to Assemble a D&D group:

Take 5 to 6 people. Add the essential handbooks, dice, pencils, and other various gamming accessories. Allow to sit for enough time for the group to become familiar with the game. Add 1 DM and some Pizza. Mix well, and have fun.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.