1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dreams

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Baezlebub, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

A few days ago I dreamed about playing darts with Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles...and they kicked my arse!!
    Man, I'm too weird....

2. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If I have been doing something that requires absolute concentration for an hour or sixteen before I go to sleep, then I dream about it.

The strangest was when I was doing trigonometry homework. I struggled with the same problem for a half an hour and then gave up and went to bed. I dreamt the solution to the problem and then snapped out of the dream and wrote it down before I forgot it (all dreams are stored in temporary memory unless conciously transferred to long term memory immediately after waking).

The most interesting dreams occur after I have been playing computer games for hours.

Baldur's Gate - I picture myself in a dangerous situation, and I find way out, only to return to the same situation, and then find my way out, only to return to the same situation.... (I call it Dreams Reloaded, they border on nightmares).

Demo Apache Helicopter Simulation (can't remember the name) - caused me to have one of the only two dreams I can recall about flying. If there is an Uber level of dreams, this type of dream is on it.

Age of Empires - Not a dream, but I see little people marching behind my closed eyelids.

There are many others, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Paracetomol (headache tablets) has a strange effect on my dreams. I'm sure that I have sexual fantasy/actuality/frustration dreams all the time, but if I have taken Paracetomol shortly before going to bed I can sometimes remember every part of the dream in all its technocolor hi-res detail.

Dreams and precognition/coincidental deja vu?
    It happens for me all the time, and I pay attention to what is in my subconcious, because subconcious' have feelings too you know ;) .

[ August 30, 2003, 12:45: Message edited by: Bluin ]

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Last night I had some seruiously strange dreams, ionvolving elves, pirates and other weird stuff. *shakes head* Crossover dreams can be SO strange...

4. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31

I saw the movie The Whole Wide World (1996 with Renee Zellweger) on TV recently. I did not realise that it was about Robert E. Howard , the author of Conan the Barbarian and Red Sonja, until it was at least a quarter of the way through. (It is a 1930s non-fantasy love story that might ring a bell with some modern day fantasy enthusiasts).

Robert E. believed that the stories he told were inspired by events and characters from his tribal/genetic memory (the sort of memory (ROM ;) ) that allows birds to build nests, crocodiles to bury their eggs, rabbits born in cages to dig burrows in which to have their own young etc.

This idea stands as an alternative explanation to memories that seem to originate from past life regression and reincarnation. Maybe a few unique humans have the ability to hard code the memory of critical/traumatic events in their DNA. Think of the amount of data required to form a complete human, and compare it to the amount of data needed to form the sound of a person’s name. If DNA can simply store the pictorial outline of ‘man,big,black,hair,angry,fight,sword,death’ then the human mind can fill in all the gaps to create a complete memory.

If genetic memory is possible, then surely such genetic memories can resurface in dreams , and reappear when some people daydream , and just write about what is in their head, not what they have gleaned from the world around them.

@Silverwolf, if I may quote something that you wrote in Odd things that you like for no good reason

That strange feeling of an intangible ancestral Native American connection is also mentioned briefly in the movie (relating to Rene’s character, Novalyne Price). I’m not saying that you should believe any of the above, you don’t have to. What is, is.

@Master of Nuhn Remembering the deceased in dreams exactly as they were happens to everyone. It can be either a disconcerting or a pleasant experience. It’s like looking at a photograph. It is a difficult thing to do shortly after relative dies, but in time it becomes much easier.

All fled, all done
    So lift me on the pyre;
    The feast is over,
    And the lamps expire.

Robert E. Howard's last words, left in his typewriter

5. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yeah my Mom knows a lot about dreams (long story) so I actually knew the stuff about the "genetic Memories" (my Mom calls it kithing from the Wrinkle in Time books by Madeline L'Engle) and I don't really know that I believe in it but dreams are pretty strange things. Like this one time when I was in 9th grade, my favorite teacher in the world (he taught chorus and directed all the musicals) left and a few weeks later about 4 of us still in the Chorus he'd been teaching (but had been replaced by this new teacher none of liked) all had the same dream that he came back and was yelling at us in the auditorium for not following the new teachers directions. And then we each had a really bad nightmare after it. It was pretty creepy and ever since that dream we tried extra hard to be nice to our new teacher.

And @ Bluin, I get those "Baldur Gate" dreams too! Where you have this problem, solve it and then you start all over again and this can go on forever. . . And you can't get beyond solving it because something happens and it starts all over again... I had this one once where Martians were attacking this hotel I was at and I had to get all the people out before they all got killed (I'd watched Attack from Mars the night before) and everytime I rescued everyone (which was only possibly once the aliens arrived, until then no one believed me) and got out of the hotel safely, it'd start over again! Those dreams really are bordering on nightmares.

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    You will all call me kaaareezy when I tell you this.

But after seeing TTT for the first time in the cinema I dreamt of seeing it at home, while having some thoughts I can't remember, and my parents next to me.

I then woke up, I got used to these dreams, I dream of something with "me" in it. And then they come true.

So I was watching the movie yesterday, and suddenly I remembered the dream, and everything around me was exactly as I dreamt.

Cool huh??

EY??!?! WHo are these guys in white suits, help me!!

*now you may wonder how I typed this sentence and managed to click the "Add reply" button :p *

7. Arabwel

Media:
    Morgoth, i don't think you're insane... I have similar dreams.

For example, I once dreamed of being in a some kind of n event, then there was someone vaguely familiar walking down an isle and then, ib ther dream, i turned to remark something to someone. Well, a few months later when I was at the graduation thingy at my school, I saw it all again! The "vaguely familiar" girl was someone I had met after the dream, she wore exactly the same clothes, and when I turned to remark on this occurence to the person sitting next to me, I realized I had done exactly the same thing in my dream!

Besides, my mom thinks she gets omens from dreams.

8. Tigress Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

ALright i have two freaky ones can anyone tell me what the second one means?
    1) I'm swimming in this big rectangular pool with 3 pillars in the middle and steep steep sides. I'm swimming with this girl in a purple coat and a blone girl i dont know. Then a guy yells "GOMPER!" and this giant snake thing comes out of a sewange pipe and swims around the reclangle. Everyone get out of the water. This happens two more times before my best friend (Valkyrie) pops up roght in from of the opening. The guard yells gomper and the thing coms out. Valkyrie doesn't have a chance to move and it eats her. Then it eats the girl in the purple coat. It procedes to throw them up kinda under some seaweed. Then the purple coat floats to the top of the water and the gomper leaves. Then the water turns blood red and starts boiling. Every time a bubble pops a scream is emitted.
    2) There is gonna be a party at a castle. The prince buys 5 eels. They are all neon colorsso people can see them in the mote. Soon people notice a problem with the pink one. When people touch it, it steals their memories. Then finally a guy catches it and asks it "How will you escape this one" Then it replies (this is the odd part) in the most evil and vile voice you can imgine times 100000000000000000000000000000000 it says "Purity". Thats it. I thought it was the voice of satan or something and i have no idea what it means. Can anyone help? Or is it just a random sting of events linked together by my wildly overactive imagination?

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Morry and Ara: You both are insane!
    And so am I, supposedly... :rolleyes:

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    But now the tricky part, did they come true because I dreamed them or did I dream them because they will come true?

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I think it would be the second, but I hope the first, Mor! :p

These kinds of 'deja vu' often happen when you are tired. Quite often people think they dreamed things that just happened, but it's their lack of sleep that confuses them. Disordered brains perhaps. :rolleyes:

I quite often dream of things that happen later, and sometimes I can even react to it: 'Shhh, Don't say that. It won't do any good' - was an example when 2 people were picking a fight.
    Now who's insane? :o

12. Jarel Gems: 10/31

@Tigress: maybe it means there's a memory of your life you'd like to forget, to be "pure" again.

Anyway, you're craaaazy! :p ;) :D

13. Tigress Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Thank you Aragorn. (now this means more that one thing..first the sincere meaning for trying to help me figure it out and then the sarcastic part for the ur crazy comment...i already knew that haha just kidding)

14. Arabwel

Media:
    Last night I had one of those werid traveling dreams... combined with panicky packing, not enoughj clean clothes, difficultuies in timing my LARP games and meeting relatives.

Ugh.

I wih I had dreamed of elves...

15. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I get the Deja Vu dreams from time to time.

The other day I had a weird dream about the girl I like. Except it wasn't a "happy dream" if you know what I mean. It was just like a normal day with a girlfriend. It made me want her so much more.

16. Jarel Gems: 10/31

You're welcome, Tigress (no sarcasm intended in this one ;) ).

Maybe it's a bit obvious, but I often dream about flying. Controlled flying I mean.
    I also recently realized that among people I know, I'm one of the few capable of having conscious dreams, aka dreams in which I'm aware that I'm dreaming.
    What about you?

17. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Some times I'm aware of them as well and then I wake up.

18. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Weird dreams? Ha! I have some real crazy ones...
    1) A blonde guy is chasing me with sharks. He chases me all over Chicago, and then corners me in an alley. He's holding a shark in his arm and says quite calmly, "you have my body, give me my body back." Then I woke up.
    2) I'm in Band of Brothers (for those of you who don't know, its about the American 101st Airborne Easy Company) and for some strange reason, we're all captured by the Germans and forced to fight for them. The German people all act like we're heroes... ummm... :confused:
    3) I'm fighting a vampire with (of all things) spoons. Yes, spoons, the blunt utensil of soup and cereal. Not forks, not knives, not even sporks.... spoons....

19. Arabwel

Media:
    I had a good dream last night. Elves, bondage, all sorts of disturbed stuff. i distinctly recall Celebrimbor and Annatar. (eep!)

Finally, I dream of elves!

20. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31

Hm. I have alot of weird dreams. Every morning when I wake up I can remember them in detail, so I write some of them down. My family hates when I talk about dreams. That's why I always have to eat alone, noone wants to hear my "babbling".
    Last night I had a quite boring dream but stressed (?) dream. I dreamt that I was in a competition. Me and a friend were in team,Suspicious Tomatoes,and our motto was to survive.All we had was one boat and a map over thousands of islands. Every island had 12 circles with the number 1-12 in them, and the island was like a clock. It could only be one team at each island at the same time and if there were two teams the team with the best rank had to fight the other one using thier special weapon. The only way to avoid an attack was to go to circle nr 6 and talk to the island watcher and give him some kind of payment. I have no idea what the goal was but at one island I fetched some kind of white pig-sheep that I wouldn't let go of. I also remember that we were very stressed all the time and that we had to avoid the Blue Knitters. Yes, this is weird. I'll stop now since you don't want to hear the other half...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.