1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Toughest class/kit to solo?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Dielzen, May 18, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Jesters still have a decent assortment of spells, so I think it could be done. With stoneskin and a strength enhancing item, you could melee with them, and they certainly have spell ability. I think a berserker could work too. Being immune to all the particularly nasty magic effects in a mage fight would make some of the battles considerably easier. And with all of the equipment you could wear, you would also probably get through all the traps alive.

Beastmaster on the other hand - that would be tough.

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Try using a fighter with the "No name" rule. No weapon/armor/item with a special name can be used. All your equipment has to be vanilla +X stuff. That doesnt sound very hard...but when you realise all you are playing as is a PLAIN fighter (no kits), with no specially named items.

If you're feeling particularly suicidal, do it without any kind of potion as well...hehehe...you're going to have some fun! :)

3. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hmmm...I think I'm going to try this one! Are there any no-name items that are +4? I still want to take on Gankaxx ;)

4. Warrior of Virtue Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How about an Orc Theif

5. Cryohydropyro Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@Thunder

Warblade +4 has no special abilities but I'm not sure if it will fit your category of "no special names" weaponry.

@Faraaz

Playing the game without potions is like facing the Demogorgon while you're still at Chateau Irenicus. :D Yes, I do agree that it's suicidal. :D

6. Harlas Nar Hallas Gems: 1/31

Monk is actually easy to play; you just need to spend time getting Quivering palm. By then, you can take dragons, although it's harder then if the attack works.

I'd go with [snip]; just to add that certain risk to your casting.

[ToB kit removed.] -Tal

[ June 09, 2004, 13:47: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

7. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Aye, Monks are easy to play if you use his abilities well. I managed to take one until the near-end of Ascension (I know, off-forum). Solo Mages are tough to play early on, but get considerably more powerful at higher levels (especially Sorcerers). For a tough game throughout, I think the Swashbuckler Thief kit is pretty hard to play.

8. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

How about Swashbuckler or Archer?

9. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31

I tried to solo an archer... then I realized that I was getting 1 attack per turn because I was specialized in short bows and using a long bow. Ah well. If you get your archer to have boots of speed, you can beat about anything. It's not THAT hard of a challenge. My biggest challenge was soloing a plain druid, mostly because I couldn't use all his powers together, and I needed healing/offensive spells while in battle but I was the only one, and the druid isn't always that great of a fighter.

10. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I didn't find the Druid that bad to play. His THAC0 is worse than a fighters, but better than all other characters (same as cleric). His spells were better than Clerics, especially for crowds and mages. When I wanted to fight, I would shape-change into werewolf or GWW. Anything I couldn't handle then summon help or swarms, etc.

I found the hardest to be a standard fighter, as there are too many places you need thief skills or mages ready to take you out far too easily.

11. Hassassin Gems: 4/31

Veteran

Swashbuckler is too powerful to be a challenge. You have no financial problems with pickpocketing, can buy very decent equpiment right on the start, and the improved melee skills are very good too.

IMHO a wizard slayer is much more difficult.

12. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Have yet to experience the joy of soloing myself, but I would have thought a solo Kensai would be tough. Sure, a killing machine, but minimal protection available to them and it's not until about level 12 that they really start destroying people.

13. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I soloed a Kensai all the way through SoA, i actually found it easier than doing it with a party. Not especially hard.

14. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31

just curoius <and my apologies if this has already been mentioned>, but wouldn't the hardest challenege be a solo mage. It's possible, but quite challenging.

15. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@Eltharodo

Actually, soloing a mage is not that difficult. It is challenging up to the point that you get the Staff of the Magi, which I usually get very early in Chapter 3, and from then on it is very easy. Soloing a mage would only be very difficult if one refused to use the Staff of the Magi; in which case I would think it would be close to impossible.

16. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

I almost exclusively solo through all of the games that I play. I am greedy, and selfish. I like having all of the gold and all of the experience. I was an only child I dont like to share. hahaha Of cource I usually get bored or find a point that I can't get past and re-start with a new game and or class.

17. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Yeah, I solo all the time as well. The last time I played with a full party was my first time through the game. I just can't be bothered managing 6 characters. Its much more fun just micromanaging one character. Blades and Thieves come to mind.

Tough solos...try a Beast Master...or an un-modded Shapeshifter. Good stuff.

18. ShaineCoradara Gems: 2/31

A regular thief. No add-ons, no help. Just a thief. Gotta be the hardest char to play, even with the help of NPCs. I have a male, human thief and he is constantly dying. Him and Aerie. Can we say death to the weaklings?

19. Serpent Gems: 4/31

Actually i agree with Cryohydropyro.... soloing a sorcerer can be really hard if you take the wrong spells....

infravision anyone? ;)

20. Barney Battletoes Gems: 1/31

Someone earlier said monks and swashbucklers may be hard. I personally found those the two easiest classes in the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.