1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

anyone like classical music?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by scarampella, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Mozard
    Beethoven
    Chaikovski
    And Andrea Bocheli the modern day opera singer.

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I have a whole slew of classical, but i find I like soundtracks quite a bit more.

Nun of those ones with words, though. Stricly instrumental.

Icewind Dale, Time Machine (the 2002 version), Tomb Raider (the game; *not* the movie), PsT, LotR, Crouching Tiger-Hidden Psycho, ummmmmmm.

That's all I can think of right now. Other than that, Moonlight Sonta, Toccata and Fugue, Ride o' the Valkaries, 1812 overture, Nutcracker Suite.

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Recently I bought 3 cds with Edvard Grieg's best compositions. "Hall of the Mountain King", "March of the trolls", "Morning" and "Aases death" together with a couple of piano concerts are his best ones. I also like Vivaldi's "Four seasons" and a lot of Mozart's works in "Die Zauberflöte".

4. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

crouching tiger hidden dragon had great music! I recently played a concert where we performed a few of the pieces from the movie.

What's interesting to me about so many people liking soundtracks is that usually these composers are copying parts from great classical compositions. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes me wonder why more people don't enjoy the source. Is it simply a lack of familiarity with classical music? Or is it that many want a mood rather than a structured journey?

[ September 03, 2002, 21:59: Message edited by: scarampella ]

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

A mood than a structured journey?

There's some classical that I can't envision a journey too. But yes, most have some kind of story behind them. Hall of the Mountain King is one that's fairly obvious, and easy to figure out.

But, and this is just the soundtracks I listen to, most of mine do *not* set a mood; they tell a story. I would call Fur Eliese and Ride o' the Valkaries as "mood" setters before anything else.

6. scarampella Gems: 10/31

ejsmith:
    In my last post I used 'journey' as a way to loosely describe the structure found in most classical music. One always gets a sense of beginning, middle and end within this structure.

I understand what you mean about mood, in particular the Ride of the Valkeries. But if I could take it a little further...

I am assuming you are listening to a piece called the Ride of the Walkeries. This actually comes from a much larger work, an Opera called Die Walkerie by Wagner. And this opera is a part of an even larger cycle called 'Das Ringen der Niebelung'** which includes 4 operas. It could be thought of as a musical/visual Lord of the Rings. I imagine Tolkien was familiar with this cycle and used it in some ways to fuel his own trilogy. The 'Ride' sets the scene for an army on horseback as it goes into battle, so in a way it really is a mood. But again, it is just a slice of the pie.
    If you like that music why not try listening to the Opera it comes from? Out of context it is great, imagine the feelings it could evoke within context!

I suppose an opera is similar to a soundtrack in that it is a collection of pieces, but I believe opera stands more on its own musically from beginning to end; It is intended to be heard in a certain order. Then again, I only have two soundtracks (Cinema Paradiso and the Red Violin) so I am by no means an expert in this arena.

**please, if I have mis-spelled any of these German words, I don't want to get into another tedious conversation over it.

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Whoa!

/me was, now made painfully obvious, without a clue!

Very interesting. I will have to look into this more. I imagine there are many other pieces which are just excerpts, but that I was considering individual works.

8. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Schoenberg anyone? Or Debussy? Never played their pieces, but they sure do sound interesting. Play mostly Mozart...

9. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I love Aesae's Death, I can't remember who by.
    I really like Mozart, Tchaikovski(and I can spell it) and Beethoven, Strauss, Chopin and others in that line.
    I also like the 1812 Smphony.

BANG! BANG! Anyone got a light?

10. scarampella Gems: 10/31

My favorite Schoenberg piece is "Verklerte Nacht" which means tranfigured night and is based upon a poem. It was written before he got into his 12 tone stuff and sounds more like Strauss.

The story is about 2 lovers who are taking a walk under the full moon. If I recall correctly, the man proposes to her. The woman says to her lover she needs to tell him something first- she is pregnant with another man's child. The man responds by telling her he loves her anyway and would love the child as his own (this is where the cellos switch the key from from minor to major: so incredibly beautiful!). This piece is like riding a roller coast of passion.

BTW
    there are a multitude of spellings for Tchaikovsky's name which are all considered valid. Since Russians use a different alphabet, it is just about anyone's guess how to spell his name phonetically.

11. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My respect for classical started when I was in highschool and had to attend classical concerts as a part of a musical-culture subject. At first, I was forced to go to those conerts in order to get a good grade. That's the time when I was young and stupid and didn't know much about music.

Slowly, I started to enjoy the concerts and develop a respect for the musicians and the music. Later, I even started playing an instrument myself, which also opened my eyes quite a bit.

I love classical guitar, stringed music, symphony. But I can't say I'm much of a "connoisseur". My knowldege is mostly limited to more popular composers like Mozart, Beethoven or Strauss. Add also contemporary classical, which would mean movie and game soundtracks :o .

My favourite would be Orff's "Carmina Burana" and Korsakov's "Flight of the bumblebee". I love the soprano Queen's aria from Mozart's "The Magic flute"!

I also share Arabwel's and Headbanger's tastes. :)
    Funny no-one mentioned Therion...

12. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] All i can say to be honest, is that i do like a bit of Bach and Beethoven (sp)

what compositions they are? I'm not sure ...

I know one is called 'Turkish Dance' i think ...

Is that weird for a rocker and loud volume kisser to like some of the softer, more sutle approaches to music?

13. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I love classical music. Don't know how I missed this topic for so long.

My favorites:

Air Supply
    LL Cool J
    Crowded House
    Kajagoogoo
    Heavy D and the Boyz

14. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I used to love Classical and saw tons of concerts and operas as well when I lived in Chicago. I don't have the time for it these days, but I still listen. I just don't develop any new tastes. My Half-Orc Barbarian in IWDII is named Sibelius! I used the Drow voice-what can I say, I'm not a purist. (I thought about Saint-Seins (sp?) for the Cleric or Pally but had other names).

Anyway, I like this stuff:

Ralph Vaughn Williams (what do you want, anyway?)
    Monteverdi (and other sort of vesperish Middle Ages type stuff).
    Arvo Part
    Donyani (sp?)
    Rachmaninov
    Mendelsohn (sp?)
    Rimski-Korsikov
    Some Beethoven
    Some Bach
    Some Vivaldi
    Faure
    Debussy
    Chopin
    Kodaly

And others I can't think of right now.

15. the god Gems: 13/31

beethoven, egmont overture. never been to a concert.

16. Drunken Monk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

My two favourite forms of music are classical and hip-hop, (I mean 'real' hip-hop - no Eminem, Dre Gangsta stuff, more of the concious political & Christian stuff i.e. Tunnel Rats). It's funny how I love them both as they are at first glance so different i.e. one predominantly instrumental other verbal). Now I try to combine the two as my friend produces beats which are pieces of classical music with altered tempo, added sounds (e.g. keyboard, ;oops, acid, jazz beats)&/or altered in different ways and I rhyme over it, either spoken word or rap. We love it and many people say so too. Thats my two cents on how I combine the two forms of music that I love.

17. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I do, but i prefer chinese traditional music(not opera) over western ones.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.