1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Non-sexual related outings topic

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ragusa, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Recently I felt that public outing just became fashionable and so the idea emerged to give a forum to all the desperate souls outside that have problems other than sex.

Let me confess first:
    I'm a bibliophilic cat-lover IRL ... a darn BOOKWORM !!! Whenever I see a bookstore I have to enter it, feeling tempted by the sheer amount of literature there and I rarely leave without buying a book .... libraries are even worse (since they offer books *for free*). It always needs a major struggle to regain my full self control when dealing with books. I joined the anonymous readers already and I admit: I have a problem.

This is meant to encourage other people who might share my addiction to come out as well.

:) You are not alone ! :)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 27, 2001).]

2. Drizzt Banned

Well...um...I have something to tell everyone here...I'M GAY! THAT'S RIGHT! A FLAMING HOMO! I had to tell you this, because I just felt it would be the right thing to do, share with my friends. So any of you young handsome fellas wanna hook up? I'd be happy to see you any time!

3. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

You already told us. It is really not necessary to repeat yourself using cut 'n' paste, have at least more fantasy and use new words. Otherwise you will remind me on that 'to be stoned' fellow in Life of Brian, jumping madly around and crying 'Jehova, Jehova'.

4. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hi my name's Cerryl and I'm a ... bookworm.
    *Hi Cerryl*

Ragusa I've got the same problem. Whenever I walk past a bookstore I have to go in to have a look. I haven't been buying as much lately as there hasn't been that much new stuff out in paperback yet.

5. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I own over 350 books and I've probably re-read each of them at least 5 times.

Tuesday I went into a Chapters to buy a single book. I ended up buying 5 of them and I have already read them all. It took me less than 3 days to finish them all. :(

6. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

wow I'm pretty lucky I guess then. I too suffer from the 'must just have a quick look' whenevere I pass a book shop, especialy those little ones that seem much bigger on the inside (have you read Pratchett's theory about L-space, large collections of books/knowledge distort time and space). It has caused problems with many a girlfirend in the past as bookshops seem to run at a different rate of time - 'I'll just be a few minutes dear'. Still I manage to normally show self control and often leave without actually buying anything. If I'm with someone this is normally worse than buying though, as I'll then go on about this book and that book for ages. To satisfy the carvaings I usually get home and add the appropriate book to a christmas wish list.

7. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My family's home library consists of around 5000 books.

If you add my grandmother's and 2 of my aunt's homes it will be over 15000...

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Hello, my name is Mathetais and I am 1) a bibliphiliholic (addicted to the love of books; 2) a Spam-atict (addicted to the forum); and a 3) Kitaphile.

I have not been sober for over 10 years.

My personal library consists of over 1000 volumes, ranging from John Owen and Spurgeon to Robert Jordan and Terry Brooks.

When I was employed in the church full time I also was able to stock the church library. While I cannot claim those volumes as my own, I did have the satisfaction of picking each text, approving it, shelving it, and allowing other to meander through their meanings.

*GASP*
    Forgive me, give me a second to regain my composure.

1. We admitted we were powerless over our books (and spamming)- that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. (questions here, just ask me!)

I honestly believe that if we stick together, we can all beat this thing.

**GROUP HUG**

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yes, me too. I'm addicted to books. But that's not only thing that bothers me.
    I'm also addicted to alcohol, cigarettes, RPGs, and many things more... But that's not your business :p

Actually I don't understand how the hell do I manage to get enough time for all of it. Perhaps it is source of my nasty temperament...

10. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What I don't understand is why none of us addicts ever get addicted to something useful for example:

- an addiction to inventing time machines to allow us all more time for our addicitons.

- an addiction to develop cloning so that we can multi-task addict.

- an addiction to telling partners of addicted people that addiction is ok really and that they should be supportive.

- an addiction to finding cures for addictions.

- an addiciton to monitoring Slappy posts and stopping him when he goes mad.

arrgg no get off...........

11. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Frankly I'm addicted to reading and proud of it. Although I'm too cheap to buy books -- which means I spend a lot of time at my friendly library. I haven't read anything outside of fantasy in quite awhile though. Pretty sad.

Mat, I hope Kit's husband doesn't know about your third addiction.

12. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Book addicts are us. I have no Idea howmany books I read but if not for a public library I would be positivly broke? Lets see During school I read on average 100 pages a day( probably higher) and that doesnt include the required reading. Also it is not unknown for me to read a 350 page book in a day. Oh and if you get me neer a book store make sure you remove all forms of chash from me or it will be gone befor I leave.

13. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

At least it is a healthy addiction. :) always look on the bright side of life di do, di do do do di do...

14. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] It is so great to get so much positive feedback! It seems as if now my problems are your problems as well :) !!!

I haven't been totally honest to you since I didn't tell about the real scale of my .... book addiction. I well own eighthundred books now, covering stuff from Plato, Poe, Bierce, Saki and Goethe to Terry Pratchett - I read what I can get. And if I run out of books I can easily go to the 5000 to 6000 volumes owned by the rest of my family.

Trying to look through my addictioin I analyzed the ready sources where addicts like me find an endless supply of literature ... and I recognised four places very risky for to go to:

(a) Libraries - temples of free reading are places for me to get lost between endless rows of letters and books for hours ....

(b) Bookstores: menacing places as well, because of the ruthless shopkeepers who know me and never even disturb me when reading a book, well knowing how easy I loose my internal struggle to resist to buy.
    I have a fav crimebook bookstore named "Alibi" where I usually find me in a cunningly plotted conversation about books (where I usually insult the shopkeeper by massacring his fav books while he insults me for enjoying my fav books) and despite that I buy books there, I can't resist.

(c)Antiquarians: These are mystical places, filled with the scent of ages of eagerly collected old books - every page a miracle of old letters and text .... I started to go there to get more book for the buck .... I agree with Slappy, these places are manifestations of the L-room theory.

(d) Fleamarkets: These places are terrific as I frequently found me roaming around there like beeing in trance ignoring everything except .... books, cheap books and lots of them :) ! ... with preprogrammed results :(

Well, I am glad to say that my SP/ CRPG addiction helped to balance my siuation a little bit :)

15. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Argh. All you bibliophiles. I must now make a confession of my own. I am an illiterate, uncultured, ignorant, unthinking, idiotic, barbaric, boorish nonentity.

16. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hmmm, I just assumed that went along with being a Darf :D

Anyway, might confess to being a slight Kitophile, but at heart I'm sill a Darienophile. The origional first female of the chat, who could help but still be a loyal devotee of hers. I say bring back the Darien fan sites, if nothing else, for my sake :D Three cheers for Darien...hip, hip...

17. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I have to read in a good book every night, but that's it. I'm not a I-finished-LotR-in-one-day-fellow.

18. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] It is impossible to finish the LOTR in one day ... it takes about three days ... oh

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 28, 2001).]

19. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

well i am also quite a bookworm, have read at least a 1.2k books in my relatively short life, and own about 1000, im also very addicted to computers and random internet surfing, although im not sure if it is a bad thing. and worst of all, i like watching 60 minutes! *psycho music plays* mwahahahahahaa!

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I read books all the time, but unfortunately I also subscribe to a number of monthly magazines so I obviously always have to finish those first before I can go on with my Book of the Moment. SP is also a huge time drain for me so lately I hardly manage more than one longer book per month. Slowly, but surely... ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.