1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anomen's not only a liar, he's an idiot

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by zaknafein, Oct 31, 2001.

1. zaknafein Guest

i mean come on if you say that you are a neutral force or whatever he gets realy shitty with you. but what about him hey. he's lawful neutral:rolleyes:

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Anomen is lawful neutral because he often fails to live up to his LG ideals, not because he espouses the LN alignment. Anomen desires to be a true paladin, but has personal issues that he needs to resolve.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

An aligment is always two words. The first word is about how you think of the Law, government etc, rulez, etc. The second word is more how you think... Lawfal, Neutral and Chaotic are the options for the first word, Good, Neutral and Evil are the options for the second word. The neutral part Anomen is complaining about is about the first word I think, and not about Neutral in good, neutral, evil. A secodn thing is that Anomen tries to be good but fails often....

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited October 31, 2001).]

4. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] and thats why i killed him :D

5. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Anomen's ideals, (that is, the way he wants to be), are to uphold "goodness" within the "laws" of society. So, he aspires to Lawful Good alignment.

However, because he has waited so long for acceptance to the High Order of the Bleeding Heart,(which would help him realize that goal, above), his petulance and impatience are reflected in an apparent "Lawful Neutral" alignment - (i.e. "jeez, I just gotta uphold law and order, even if I have to cheat or whine about it").

Then, later, after he gains admission to the order, he's a lot like a zealous rookie cop - "uphold the law for goodness within the rules!" - his alignment changes to Lawful Good. (Unless he fails his "test" and is denied admission to the order, then watch out - he becomes a sullen delinquent! I forget, Chaotic Neutral?)

Ah, the refreshing philosophy of good vs evil... :roll:

[This message has been edited by Nivek The Mad (edited October 31, 2001).]

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Will you please stop spitting on Anomen!!! *glower*

Anomen will do exactly the thing YOU tell him to do. Lawful Good or Chaotic Neutral - it all depends on YOU and only YOU, not Anomen.
    So, when you screw Anomen, don't call him an idiot, but YOU.
    He is annoying, lacks of clear thoughts, but idiot he ain't!

Besides, which NPC besides him gets so much weapon proficiencies with each level?

7. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Anyone asking for *my* help in a serious family problem clearly *is* an idiot :p

8. zaknafein Guest

exactly ironbeard you speak of the truth

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I never had Anomen in my party.. And I suppose I better keep it that way for there seems to be lots of frustration about him :)

10. Arwen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I still can't understand why almost everyone here hates Anomen so much. He's a good fighter and a terrific cleric, if YOU give him the right tools. His quest is really intersting, and it looks like the script people spent lots of time on developing his personality; it's more complex than any NPC in the game. He actually grows as a person, going through his quest - and what's wrong with asking for advice in a difficult situation? Isn't it what friends are for? After all, he is helping you in your quest!
    He's anything but an idiot (well, if you give him idiotic commands, he follows them, as it was said above). If he lacks of clear thought - well, who doesn't?
    Speaking of him being a liar - he actually can kill a wyvern with a staff spear (which is still a spear). I tried that.
    And speaking of annoying NPC's - what about Minsk's "jump on my sword, evil!" thing? Isn't it more annoying?
    So stop calling him names! You don't like him - leave him at the Copper coronet and get someone else.

11. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Well said son ;)

Anyway, how many of you here actualy know your alignment. I don't mean your charecter I mean you in real life.

Easy you think im such and such. But wait, is that what you are or what you want to be, would you have ever given it a second thought had I not asked? I don't think so.

The point Im tryinng to make is you don't have your alignment plastered on your head or given to you on a bit of paper. It is you and you don't know it. Anomen thinks he is Lawful Good. He doesn't have the help of a computer which tells him his actions make him lawful neutral.

And on the spear thing, if your religion said you could only use say certain blut weapons, you do this all your life then with nothing nearby you are attacked, you could grab it and throw it. Maybe it was before he became a cleric when he was just a fighter.

[This message has been edited by Mr Writer (edited November 02, 2001).]

12. Archer14 Gems: 8/31

Anomen is an idiot or he wouldn't attack Aerie when he fails his test. I hate his attitude also. I just do his quest, get the experiance, then I just kill him when he fails his test and tries to kill Aerie.

13. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Buddy, if you take an NPC and make him fail his personal quest and ruin his life just to get a trivial amount of gold in a game already awash in it, no SHIT he's going to get pissed off and kill someone. Keldorn and Aerie can both be annoying as hell too, and it's small wonder they and Anomen irritate each other into a fight after you the player go screwing their personal lives up. It's YOUR fault.

Personally I find Anomen extremely irritating--his voice annoys me, and it really zarks me off that after going through this complex evolution in his personality his action comments and most of his NPC remarks remain EXACTLY THE SAME. :/ But some people irritate me in real life, too. It doesn't mean they're idiots, much less incompetent. Aerie is one of the most annoying characters in the game as far as I'm concerned, but also one of the most valuable party members.

And blaming a character for mistakes made by YOU THE PLAYER is not exactly a solid sign that the NPC is the one being the idiot...

14. Xuncle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Hah! I've worked it out - Anomem's Wisdom score is actually four times his age. When you meet him acts like a 3 year old, yet after proppper guidence and acceptance in the Order, his wisdom increases and his behaviour matures to that of a 4 year old.

He runs around saying, "I'm so holy" whilst (probably) sneaking covertous glances at Viconia and thinking that Jaheira's pig-tails are really cool.

15. [​IMG] Uhh... Jaheira's pig tails are cool...:)

16. Archer14 Gems: 8/31

I have a few of things to say to you tjekanefir. :mad:

First, I can blame who ever I want to for what ever I do. It never works though. :nolike:

Second, I still think think his atitude is very bad. :flaming:

Third, he deserves to die if he goes around saying he is so honerable and is " a force of good" but then he goes and tries to kill people. I don't know what you think but I don't think thats very lawfull or good.:grr:

And last, I don't just do that quest for the money, I can get that lots of other places.:money:

17. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31

Anomen rocks. I finally beat the game last weekend (thankyou, thankyou) as a female undead hunter, and completed the romance with him. But that was not easy as the mean answers to his love speeches were so funny it was all I could do not to choose them. For example: he compares me to a flower and I could say: "Don't be an idiot, Anomen. I'm no flower, and your words fill the air with an aroma far more pungent than any plant." I am interested to hear that he goes nuts if he fails his test. I like having him and Keldorn around so I know what a lawful good character is supposed to do!

18. Archer14 Gems: 8/31

Good job on beating the game.

Anomen isnt lawfull good until he passes his test right? He still acts like a stuck-up moron even if he turns lawfull good. He turns chaotic nuetral if he fails his test. You should have just killed him though, even if you were a good. An idiot is close enough to evil for me to kill. I was an inquisitor and I killed him.

[This message has been edited by Archer14 (edited November 03, 2001).]

19. mark the beneficial shah Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well the guy did kill his sister. I had a paladin and i still had him take revenge. Of coarse I did not realize that it would screw his test. Ah well, what can ya do?

20. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yeah, well, the problem with the revenge thing is that he goes nutso. The one time I went with the CN Anomen, I counselled him to kill the bastards that did his sister. Sounds reasonable to me. Of course, what he *actually* did turned out to be a bit more problematic. I wasn't exactly expecting him to whack the little girl like that.

I like having Anomen around. He's a pretty good character and I don't mind that he's a pompous windbag. Since everyone else rags on him pretty bad about (especially Jan), I find it rather amusing.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.