1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drosophila and its offspring

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Elios, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Ok, you can answer this question to the best of your ability in a serious manner, or in a non-serious manner.
    In Drosophila, genes a and b are located at positions 22.0 and 42.0 on chromosome 2, and genes c and d are located at positions 10.0 and 25.0 on chromosome 3. A fly homozygous for the wild-type alleles of these four genes was crossed with a fly homozygous for the recessive alleles, and F1 daughters were backcrossed to their quadruply recessive fathers. What offspring would you expect from this backcross, and in what proportions?

[ January 23, 2003, 12:11: Message edited by: Elios ]

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Low IQ, a few rotten teeth, and a front yard littered with beer cans, shotgun shells, dead pickup truck, and hound dog turds. :D

Sorry, I went for the physical sciences, not biology.

[ January 23, 2003, 14:45: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Get lost, it depends if the offspring gets born near Chernobil or inside Cloneaid labs.

4. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. My eyes haven't glazed over like that since I stopped taking chemistry.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Umm... (--o--o--)(2) + (-o--o--)(3), which have alleles a x A -> degenarate to previous allele 4... Oh, hell; it´s something like what Rallymama said. Furry apes... maybe? :p (Ok, permission to laugh)

[edit] Wait, drosophila´s offspring? I guess it would be a normal, healthy fellow with a risk to have drosophilad offspring.

[ January 28, 2003, 21:03: Message edited by: Virne ]

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    a gay fly

7. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well, it's obvious, isn't it? That's the genetic makeup for Prez. Bushie. Damn, I thought everyone knew that. :doh:

8. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Serious answers don't seem to be forthcoming! Maybe it's because this topic sounds suspiciously like you're trying to use us to get your homework done! :evil:

Don't know much about Drosophila, but I do know about genetics. To answer this question I'll need to know the answers to 2/3 questions:

1) Are the wildtype alleles dominant (ABCD) at each locus? and;
    2) What is the relevance of the genetic distances quoted? i.e. whether the genes are far enough apart as to be unlinked (chiasmata occur at high frequencies between loci)

If the answer to the latter question is that they are unlinked then the positonal values are irrelevant and the genes can be treated as separate entities that follow Mendel's laws of segregation.

If the genes are indeed linked then we'll need to know the units for the values that you've provided to get the answers!

:square:

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think you'd get a dragonfly or a butterfly/moth :square:

10. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Like with Lazy Bonzo's Question I hope the basic answer is enough. A lot of information is either irrelevant or missing in your question, making it a bit tricky. Anyway you say the fathers are recessive. If we look at phenotypes we could run into recessive epistasis among other nasty things. Let us save that for later. :)

The F1 generation
    If we start with looking at how the F1 generation is displayed. Let us hope we have simple dominance from one parent (the mother) and the other parent (father) is recessive in all aspects, then we get this cross:
    AABBCCDD(mother)X aabbccdd(father)
    Capital letters symbolize dominance.
    The F1 generation comes out as AaBbCcDd.

Note;
    At this point I must make you aware that a wild type allele is not the definition of dominance or not. Wild-type means an allele with a frequence roughly above 1%

F2 generation
    So now we cross the Heterozygous F1 generation with the recessive Parent.
    AaBbCcDd(F1) X aabbccdd (parent)
    We always get abcd from the parent. We always get ABCD Vs abcd in the ratio 1:1 from the F1 generation. The back crossed F2 generation naturally comes out as;
    AaBbCcDd
    aabbccdd
    aaBbCcDd
    AabbCcDd
    Etc.
    The way to calculate it is saying we have two options on each gene. Dominant/recessive. And we have four genes. This yields 2x2x2x2 possible combinations. All coming out in the ratio 1:1. This is the simplest model from your information. The phenotype aspects are impossible to put on any reasonable model. But Since I am not here to make your course work, I have been holding back with my posting for some time. I hope this is sufficient for you. :)

Phenotypes
    Just to make you think about your information if we should make a phenotype model. Would it matter if the recessive parent was a mother? What would be the phenotypic ratio of the flies if Dominant genes of B had dominant epistasis over Aa and aa? Cc cc Dd dd each have their own separate phenotype. Don't answer this but if your thread is your homework, then at least think about it. :)

Dictionary:
    Phenotype: the observed characteristic (red eyes/vs White eyes)
    Allele: one form of a single gene. some genes like the immune system related MHC-II has a multitude of different alleles making it much more variable in structure and hence more likely capable of recognizing foreign material.
    Homozygous: Both alleles carried for a single gene is alike (AA-aa-BB-bb-CC-cc) the opposite is heterozygous.
    Wildtype allele: An allele which has a frequency of roughly 1% and above.
    Gene: A distinct segment of DNA. Genes are the blueprint for protein synthesis.
    Epistasis the effects of one gene mask or cover up the effects of another gene.

[ January 29, 2003, 17:52: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I took this to the experst, i.e. my sister who is a researcher and gets her doctorate some time this year... Too bad she flunked her finals in genetics while she was in college... :p

Assuming wild-type = dominant, no linkage, independent assortment, no
    cross-over, no mutations, direct mendelian genetics, genes are called
    A,
    B, C, and D, with dominant designated with capital letters, recessive
    with small letters. The offspring will be:
    50% Aa, Bb, Cc, Dd
    50% aa, bb, cc, dd

BUT... in reality, that scenario does not exist in Drosophila. You
    have to take into account the percentage of cross-over based on
    distances of genes, as well as the sex of the fly.

More to come as she has more time to calculate more of this...

(A lazy, lazy person... :D )

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Awww Arabwel I covered everything. Don't you have faith with me :(

[ February 01, 2003, 01:31: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.