1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mailwasher: Has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sprite, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I am getting about 50 to 100 spam emails a day and I'm completely worn out deleting it. I've had the same email address for a long, long time and there are lots of reasons I don't want to give it up, but by now I think it's on every spam list in the galaxy. I did use Hotmail's spam filter but it deletes all kinds of things it shouldn't - like most emails forwarded from SP, I found out the hard way - so I'm trying to find an alternative. Mailwasher looks good, but I always worry there's a terrible catch with free downloadable software. Does anyone know anything about this program or can anyone here offer anecdotes about a personal experience with it?

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me your advice.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

2. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I know you don't want to, but getting a new email address is probably your best bet. Sure you can blcok spam mail. But here's the thing, you block a domain, and you'll get that same email from a different one.
    I have several email addresses. One is only given out to friends and family. The second one is my professional address, it only is put on my resume.
    I have a third one for plain BS. I sometimes go to those freebie sites, they need an email address. Or if I am downloading something and they need an email address. You get the idea. Since no friends have this address, I just check the mail box once a week, do a select all and delete.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ach, I hate spam. My new email is just starting to gain some. Your best bet in to abandon email accounts. It won't make that much of a difference to your online life.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I have two e-mail addresses. One for my personal mail from friends, etc...And a hotmail address for any online orders. 90% of the spam I get goes to the hotmail address.

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] :wave:

Hi Sprite

I've finally given in to the spammers. I was getting 20-30 spams a day from my domain emails. Like you I'm loathe to give them up as I've been using them for a long time and they do provide some interesting stuff occaisionally (feedback on my designs, mods, etc).

Anyway, I was sent an offer from a company I have used before Blue Squirrel and decided to take the plunge. The last programme I got from them allows me to print all sorts of booklets and manuals (why doesn't windows or printer software do that as standard :rolleyes: )

Anyway, the programme seems to be doing its job nicely. You can set it up to run in the background so it doesn't interfere with your normal email (if you set it up as a proxy server). It was a bit of a dissapointment initially as the auto set up didn't work very well with my existing accounts not would it recognise my address book. Setting it up manually wasm't very hard though. You can also customise it to recognise all your friends or add new spam filters. All in all it seems ok and is saving me the daily chore of spam deleting. Oh yes, it's pretty cheap too (especailly with the discount).

You can find more here.
    You can also try the programme for 30 days and they also have a money back policy. The only thing I'm not sure about is hotmail support though it does say it's compatible.

One other thing I like the sound of but haven't tried, is that it is compatible with their email stamp system. You can charge people to email you. This should deter all people not on your friends list (friends don't pay) while allowing genuine people to still reach you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.