1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

William Hung

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by teekc, Mar 3, 2004.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i don't watch tv often, not living with a tv anyway. Few days ago, i went to my friend's room and saw this guy appeared on that 2-people-talk-about-everythingy-espn show. And earlier i saw his pic on yahoo most searched. Went into his story...

WoW (with big eyes and dropped jaw), this country has quite an amount of bored people. i have no intention to bash Americans. But, come on, him and his heroic cult? this is beyond me.

[ March 13, 2004, 05:46: Message edited by: Beren ]

2. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

If thats the kinda of person being signed to record labels then you know why no one buys cd's anymore.

It's garbage and whoever enjoys his performance shouldn't be allowed to breed.

3. teekc Gems: 23/31

oh my god, i was listening to this singaporean radio over the internet, there was this ad. about a singing competition, listening to the background of this ad,

"well i have no professional training in singing"
    "well that's the surprise of the century"
    "thank you william" <--- see that!

4. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I think the William Hung phenomena is all about..."yeah, I suck and can't do this, but I have enough guts to try anyway."

Maybe you're right...we Americans have no life.

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think its more like, "I tried my best I have no regrets" kind of thing.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, there is a lot of stupid things in US, so don't pay too much heed to a certain, particular one ;)

"Joukossa tyhmyys tiivistyy" -Finnish saying.
    "In a group, stupidity just compresses" -Translated somewhat adequately :p

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It is really bizarre. He is quite a freak. I admire his courage though.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK, I have to admit it:
    I get a perverse kind of pleasure wactching the first few shows of Idol and seeing the various contestants crash and burn, and I know I'm not alone in this. William Hung was one of those guys who yes, had guts, but also had no idea how bad he really was. I really can't see the current buzz over him lasting, but you never know...

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Out of curiosity, who the heck is William Hung?

10. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I only saw a couple of episodes of the show, but I was 'lucky' enough to see his attempt and in as far as the guts it took him to get up and do it, I admire him greatly. Certainly not cult-status though.

11. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

@Oaz

William Hung is a guy who tried out for American Idol" this season, and he severly butchered a Ricky Martin song. He was a horrible singer, but he has gotten some sort of cult status lately.

Eh, those crazy Americans.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I saw that. He believed in himself, so full credit. Absolutely hilarious.

13. Smoothbrain Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

http://www.williamhung.net/

Check him out, he's quite amusing. The best was when he was recently interviewed by Ghey Seacrest and the guy admitted he was not really suceeding in his other profession as a Civil Engineer either. LOL

14. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    He does have good timing in his singing although he appears to have no beat while he is dancing to it.

15. teekc Gems: 23/31

So, now i understand, this is show business isn't it? Skill is not a requirement at all. If i am willing to pay you money to play monkey in front of me, then you are in business, show business.

By the way, his album, april 16.
    by the way, i am not his worshipper.

16. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] He's a terrible singer... that's true.

However, he is the "Ed Wood" of pop music - he's so bad that he's good.

People watch "Plan 9 From Outer Space" because it is a horribly hilarious movie. It is not supposed to be funny, but it is.

Here, behold the horror of William Hung:
    :lol: http://www.williamhung.net :lol:

17. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

****ing pop idols, what a farce it is. Them folks have 0 yes ZERO talent. That program should be banned and so should 90% of the **** that gets in the charts.

18. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Practically all contemporary teenie music is like that.

When you listen to classical music or contemporary orchestral music - such as Horner, Williams, etc... the simplicity and "childish" nature of modern music stands out

[ March 14, 2004, 03:26: Message edited by: Blackhawk ]

19. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

The reason why he is so popular is because the media promotes him like crazy. This fad, IMO, should have died out long ago, but unfortunately this is what the future of pop culture holds. So record companies and others take advantage of this situation to create profits for themselves. I view him more as a posterboy of capitalism to the extreme more than an annal of pop culture.

20. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The funny thing is, he has women in Singapore lining up to marry him, by the thousands, and their parents are offering him many posh things, its crazy.

But he is taking singing lessons now! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.