1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Happy St. Patty's, yo

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Death Rabbit, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Quick - find someone who isn't wearing green and pinch them so hard it leaves a mark. Preferably a chick (if you're a dude). It's tradition! :D

Also tradition: go out and get hammered on green beer. :thumb: Try not to go overboard and end up yacking that green beer, because...well...damn. :sick:

Do you have any traditions or fun things you do on St. Patrick's day? Does your country even celebrate it? Or is it just another day that provides you a means to pick up on chicks by having an excuse to pinch them without looking creepy?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

As mentioned in Random Babbling, St Patrick's Day seems to have been adopted by non-Irish people all over the world as a random excuse to go out and get drunk.

Aside from the fact that this is supposed to be a religious celebration of the life of the saint who converted Ireland.....why do people need another special REASON to go to the pub? All the usual reasons are good enough, IMHO. Amongst people I know, St Patrick's Day will be marked by going to the pub as normal but maybe having Guinness instead of lager. :D

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I had always heard if you're French, you should wear orange on St. Pat's Day.... is that true?

4. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

People get drunk on St Patty's day because it is a Catholic holiday. Trust me I know, I am one :D

5. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I'm 'supposed' to be a Protestant and i still go out and celebrate.... eventually.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've got a hankerin' for a Smithwick’s. :)

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well in our school assembly our head teacher decided to pull out 10 people who were wearing Guiness St patrick day hats, none of them were Irish btw (well one claimed to be a 32th...), and proceeded to ridicule them and draw out 10 seperate things in regards to St.Patrick. I really pitied the last couple of guys who had to resort to 'he was a man' and 'umm he liked Guiness, maybe?'. So far, so fair. However the headmaster then proceeded to isolate one of the people, who was rather more portly (a la' chubby/fat), and he (the headmaster) thrust back his jacket and thrust forward his own rather chubby belly, and made the boy do the same. He then ridiculed the boy assuming that he was 'eating too much' and it was 'catching up with him already' and that he (the headmaster) 'had an excuse'. This left a rather sour taste in my mouth as being most discriminatory and unfair, and not suitable behaviour for a headmaster - certainly not suitable in front of half the school (approximately 500 pupils).

Oh Happy St.Patricks day.

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I posted this in the RB but it needs to go here too.

IRISH TOASTS

May you have warm words on a cold evening, A full moon on a dark night, And the road downhill all the way to your door.

------------------------------------------------

May you have food and raiment, A soft pillow for your head, May you be forty years in heaven Before the devil knows you're dead!

Here's to you and yours and to mine and ours, And if mine and ours ever come across you and yours, I hope you and yours will do as much for mine and ours, As mine and ours have done for you and yours!

May you live to be a hundred years With one extra year to repent!

May the face of good news, And the back of every bad news Be toward us.

May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. The sun shine warm upon your face. The rain fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again May God hold you in the hallow of His hand.

9. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'll be hitting the pub for a couple Guinesses and some corned beef and cabbage :) Does anyone know the tradition behind the corned beef and cabbage?

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

St Paddy's :wave: Not St Patrick's or St Patty's :)

In Ireland it is not "St" we say happy Paddy's Day.

So happy Paddy's Day to you.

@Sorvo, Bacon & Cabbage, not corned beef ;)

Ah well I will have to make proper Paddy's out of all of you!!

@Spellbound, on Paddy’s day you “do not” go out wearing orange but I won’t explain why ;) .

[ March 18, 2004, 00:25: Message edited by: Sarevok- ]

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Sorvo read my mind...I am off for a Guiness and some corned beef and cabbage!!

I heard that wearing orange on Paddy's Day is a very bad thing...So much so that in some places you could be killed for it! :eek: I don't know if it's true, but that's what I heard...

Slainte!

12. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think it is corned beef and cabbage Sarevok. But you have to mash the cabbage into the potatoes (or be-dae-es depending on where you live) first.
    And it's a bit untrue that if you where orange on Paddy's Day you'll get killed. Well maybe up the north. But as a matter of fact the Tricolour actually symbolises peace between green(the Irish)and orange(the British or orangemen). That's why its green, white and orange. See we Irish aren't all dumb farmers.

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You are wrong about the corned beef, you are right about the Flag yes but Paddy's call it the green white and gold. Being killed for wearing orange on Paddy's day is a bit extreme yes. In some parts of the north it would definitely invite a lot of trouble wearing that colour no matter what day it is and might just get you killed but how on earth did we start talking about that, anyway trust me it is bacon and cabbage for Paddy’s not corned beef.

The meal you are thinking of is corned beef mixed in with potatoes yes and is not normally served with cabbage. That dish is not even Irish I think.

Here

14. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You're probably right about the bacon. I wasn't talking about mixing the bacon and potatoes I was talking about mixing the cabbage and potatoes. You know like you did when you were a kid? I swear I would kill myself if I couldn't have cabbage. I love that stuff!!
    I was at the Parade in Dublin today. After that I went for some cabbage at a hotel. Yum :)

15. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    May the luck o' the Irish be with ya then, lad! *hic*

16. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] The Guiness was a flowin' last night! Mmmmm, I love Guiness!!! I also had some ham & cabbage with potato soup...A nice hearty meal! More carbs than I've had in a long time...And they were good!

17. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

does anyone here besides me despise corned beef?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.