1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Priest spells help?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by die hard, May 7, 2001.

1. die hard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am new to BG and using Jaheria (Druid) for in my party along with a mage. I can't work out how she learns new spells and I have just leveled her up to level 2 druid and she hasn't got any new spells in her priest spell book other than what she started with. I know how to learn mage spells by scrolls but I can't work out how to learn new preist spells as per the instruction book. Please help.

2. Christian Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

you cannot learn yourself new priest spell
    when you will up another level you will see your page 2 of your spellbook fill with some new spell, but you cant choose or change it!

wisdom give you a couple of spell in bonus

Chris

3. Ace of Spades Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Christian;
    Does high WIS grant a bonus to # of spells KNOWN, or to # USABLE PER DAY?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    High wisdom grants a bonus to spells known.

5. davycop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Actually, high WIS gives a bonus to both no. of spells known and no. of spells that can be cast. If your WIS is 23 or 24, you can cast about 3 extra first level spells, 2 extra 2nd level spells and so on. This is in the manual.

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Somehow the wording here is a little confusing. All preists and druids get the same exact spells (according to class) when they are able to cast at a new level. I see that as spells known. I don't see how high wisdom as you say affects the number of known spells when every priest gets the same spells as every other. Wisdom affects the number of spells castable per day, giving extra bonus spells castable once per day with each bonus point in wisdom after 14. Wisdom also affects Lore and Priest/Druid spell failure as well. I know intelligence affects the number of spells a wizard may memorize (or have known to him). So I don't see how wisdom affects the number of spells known to a priest or druid. Please correct me if I'm off base, but just don't berate me too much :D

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    davycop, your wisdom will never be that high without cheating, so that's hardly an issue.

Crawl, AFAIK, the number of spells a priest or druid gets into his spellbook on leveling up depends on his wisdom as well. I.e., he gets a set number of spells for normal wisdom, but extra spells if he has high wisdom. ( http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/spell_tables.php#2 )

But then again, I don't really play clerics much, so your interpretation could be right too. :D

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 08, 2001).]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  8. die hard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for your help guys least now I know you get the spells assigned.

9. davycop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Taluntain, if you start with a cleric of WIS 18, in BG + TOTSC you can raise it to 21 without cheating since there are 3 wisdom books. With 21 WIS, you already get extra slots for 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd level spells so you cleric can memorize more spells.

Crawl, I'm not sure how it works but my observation has been that WIS does affect how many spells a cleric knows. I have never played a druid but I had a cleric character once with 18 WIS and he knew more 2nd level spells than Jahiera who was also in my party.

10. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

True Daycop. However, a cleric should have more spells per level than a druid (incidently, Jahiera is a druid)because druids simply don't have access to as many spells per level as a priest. They are limited to the priest spells they have access too, but they also get severl unique spells per level that priests don't get. A druid with 18 intelligence still wouldn't have access to as many priest spells as a cleric with 16 intelligence. Admittedly, I simply don't know for sure if wisdom affects how many priest spells a priest can have per spell level. It doesn't say anything about it in the game manual. And you can't pick and choose what priest spells you get, so I'm not sure how that would work anyway. I suppose the computer could pick them for you. I haven't played with enough differnt priests in the same game to know for sure, but I still don't think wisdom affects known spells per level. However, I will check into it.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited May 09, 2001).]

11. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

A high wisdom will allow a cleric to learn 6th and 7th level spells. A cleric is suppose to have a wisdom of 17 to get 6th level and 18 to get 7th level. Otherwise a cleric gets access to all that levels spells when they can cast at that level.

12. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Correct there Capt.

A Cleric can access the entire group of "level X" spells once they are high enough in experience levels to cast them.

Once at that experience level they get a new "Total fixed" number so they can pick and choose from the entire group of Cleric spells available for their experience level. So if I am an 8th level Cleric, I'll get 3 total fixed 1st level spells to cast -I have access to memorize all of them, but only 3 to pick out & memorize. If I have a higher Wisdom, then I get a bonus to memorize more 1st level spells. Like an 18 Wisdom, I'll get 2 additional 1st level spells to memorize -any of them because a Cleric can access any of the available spells that his/her experience level allows. Thus an 8th level Cleric with an 18 Wisdom can have a total of 5 spells possibly memorized from any of the 1st level Cleric Spells.

Too confusing? Hope not, I play alot of Fighters, Thieves and Clerics. I rarely play Rangers, Paladins, Mages etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.