1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

alot is not a word

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Judas, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

2. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Tal:Wrong. :p
    I still think that she suck. I mean sure the kids who can't use those words, tell them to skip em.
    But it doesn't have to affect us who know how to write it. Unfair. I am going for a IG.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Eilonwy, Tal is right. Using those words in informal speech is fine, but put them into any professional essay and you'll get laughed out of the office. Your teacher is attempting to teach you this in her own way, and she's correct, despite how annoying it may seem.

Anyway, I'm annoyed when I see people that don't seperate their sentences with proper punctuation. It makes the message that they are attempting to convey all the more enigmatic.

4. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It really gets to me because I'm a near-perfect speller of my average age and I keep correcting myself when I spell necessary. I kept correcting and correcting for the past year and I still didn't get the hang of it until now, where I'm am absolutely AWARE of that word when needed. :flaming:

5. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Lectern and podium: two very different things, and yet no one can get them straight. I hate that.

I NEVER correct people, not even my own kids, because my mom (a former English teacher) used to correct me unmercifully. The most I will do is ask for clarification if I think someone is using one word but meaning another.

But my son's math teacher says, "oh, it felt off the podium."
    And quite involuntarily, I snapped. "Lectern! Lectern, lectern, lectern!"
    He looks at me -- and I blushed... and beat it.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    My favorite is when people in online games call me a "hoe"

:roll:

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Tell me which word is spelled right:

Sure

-or-

Shure

I have always spelled it "shure", just because it sounds correct, but I am constantly seeing peolpe spell it "sure". :rolling:

8. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Kitrax - I am afraid that it is in fact "sure".

Ara - that was the point I was trying to make. It is indeed "thou", but useless morons insist on saying things like "thee" in the wrong place. :mad:

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Ah, thanks for thre clarification... I seem to be a little slow lately... too much BG2 and TDD, apparently...

I am so very annoyed at people who cannot use capital letters in beginning of their sentences and names... I dislike that a lot.

Ara
    (Not really awake)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.