1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jubilee!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Dargorn, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Right, the Jubilee is a celebration of Queen Elizabeth sitting upon the Throne of Great Britain for 50 years right?
    What the hell does that have to do with anyone of any nationality dying?
    NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's a celebration of the Queens reign over her subjects. I'm not pro monarchy in the current political climate in Britain as they do not rule us which I personally think is wrong. As for the unelected thing thats what a monarchy is, an inherited position otherwise it wouldn't be one.
    Now no more of this crap of "people of our country died for britian" whining and lets just say Congratulations to Queen Elizabeth and also kick parliment out and rule us or abolish the monarchy! Just my humble opinion there.

2. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Kahen, Vermillion.........it was a joke.
    Even Poodle knows that.

Besides....Poodle only likes it because it has the word Queen in it. ;)

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited June 05, 2002).]

3. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Indeed that is true, me and that filthy Yank joke all the time. And i respect America even though they are all fat, have a stupid dumb president who represents the average IQ (about 3 and a half). I don't hold it against them that they believe they are great while the rest of the world hate them, also i think it is fine that their buisness takes over everyone and they don't care how many unemployed English it takes to make THEM money. Nor in fact do i care that they consider the two towers thing to be an exclusivley American tragedy or the fact that they have to be so bloody melodrmatic about everything cos they are a bunch of whining wimps who retreat more often than Italians, and when they don't it's only cos they are too thick to realise that there is danger about.
    Did you know the American pilots in the battle of britain were so careless that they shot down more Spitfires than Germans??? It's a fact! did you know that more americans died on the D-day landings than Brits and Canadians partly because they refused to use prototype BRITISH machinary?
    But then those cute little american piggy wiggies over the pond are so funny, especially when they burn!

I love you Shralp ;) ;) ;)

(Oh and the point Xenecor makes is aimed towards my love for the band, not about me being gay, which i incidently am not. I'm not American you see?)

4. Xenecor Gems: 10/31

Poodle, I totally forgot that you were infatuated with Queen (the band). ;)
    How ironic.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Hehe. And we in America respect those in the UK even though they are all fat. :p

I case you weren't aware, the UK is third in the world at 51% of the adult population being overweight, behind only the US (of course) and Russia.

6. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Xenecor I think you have something stuck in your eye... Or are you telling us something smart? :1eye:

Anyway Poodle, I think it is great that the british celebrate their Queen and I can't imagine anyone beeing lame enough to intervene with this ceremony and tell the british to stuff it, and honor some other country( ok perhaps Shralp *G*). It is your special day, and your special occasion. Be proud, brother! :spin:

7. Xenecor Gems: 10/31

Nobleman, I think you forgot a three letter word beginning with the letter "a" at the end of smart.

8. ArchAngel Guest

yeah, Xenecor. It is all over isn't it. :D

9. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Well so..

I don't think somebody must be king or queen just because he/she has "royal blood" since the royal blood of today is the blood of killers from the past!

You are not a good human for what you are, but for what you do! So in my opinion being the son/doughter of the king/queen doesn't give you the right to become the next one. I think you must prove yourself first!

If you look at your queen, throwing her big party from money that could have been used so much better... It's actually verry sad when you think about it...:(

10. ArchAngel Guest

SleepleSS, I think it is safe to assume that any living person has ancesters who have killed, if you just go further and further back. So your first point is rather pointless. :)

On the second point, I agree. I don't see royals as anyone specials. But if Royalists love them, then let them. They are harmless. Just look at Poodle :D

On the third point. If wasting money on a celebrating the british queen makes you sad, I don't think it would be healthy for you to watch the news. You would commit suicide, if you knew what real sinister episodes happen in the world... Which could have been, to quote you, "So much better", dont you agree?

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited June 06, 2002).]

11. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I try to avoid watching the news. It really makes me angry, to hear the same stories over and over again, yes you're right WAR is a waste of money.

I just think that there shouldn't be spent so much money on things like the queens birthday, that's all I wanted to say, it doesn't make me sad, I just think it's pointless...

12. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Umm... the jubilee isn't the Queen's birthday. It's her 50th aniversary of ruling. How many other rulers can boast of such a long rule? Very few. So surely this a very special occasion, and is deserving of recognition and spending money.

13. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Heh.

My comment about being offended that there was no celebration of Americans in this jubilee deal was in order to mock the complaints that we didn't celebrate other nations in the ceremonies for the WTC victims.

It was subtlety, people.

14. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I resent the implication that the Americans and the Italians are the world champions at retreating. What about the French, don't we count? :p (Ah, my husband says that since the French surrender rather than running away we have to compete in a different category. Damn Yankee.)

I just love the British monarchy. It's not that expensive a system of government when you consider the added entertainment value, and as a bonus, the Queen has virtually no power. As a libertarian, this is something I deeply admire in a government- ornamental but ineffectual heads of state. Anyway, would *you* take the Queen's job if you could get her inheritance with it? I sure wouldn't (although I'd enjoy owning 2/3 of Canada). Less privacy than a rock star and a schedule from hell. The Queen works awfully hard at a job that she didn't volunteer for. Bless her.

PS: Someday, Sir Dargorn, I'm going to take on those challenges to Big Business. I disagree with your assertion that efficiently-run businesses - such as US multinationals- impoverish the British or anyone else. Read some Ayn Rand and we'll debate. ;)
    PPS: Shralp, you explained your joke too soon. I was looking forward to telling you that if you wanted to frolic at British national festivities, you shouldn't have thrown tea in your harbour. :)

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Remove Britain's monarchy and you remove 90% of reasons why the tourists from all over the world are coming to UK and bringing in billions of pounds of income every year.

Of course, the monarchy is not simply persons, oh no - it's also all the castles, historic buildings etc. They do own most of those, you know.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited June 06, 2002).]

16. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Heh. Interesting point, Tal. They certainly don't go there to buy guns or food.

Personally, the reasons I'd want to go to England (other than to oogle Poodle) have more to do with her literary history than the political, but I expect a good many want to see the Tower of London and that rot. The rest just want to see Hugh Grant.

17. DinoTiggy1 Guest

[​IMG] I'm not so sure wether its true, but according to a reliable source of information, the Queen was going to be doing some singing for us people of the public. This statement was released from the palace, well according to the person next to me anyway. 8people tells me that she though that the Queen did look a bit scared when she came on stage, trying to hide behind Prince Charles.

Hmmmmm. Interesting... :1eye:

18. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31

dinotiggy, don't be such a wally. Of course she wasn;t going to sing :):):)

19. parrotheada1a Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well done to our allies. I saw the concert on TV. I see you all know how to throw a party as well as anyone. I was a bit peeved when I didn't get to see the Corrs perform. The sisters are just so hot. Brian May on the roof of Buckingham palace playing 'God Save the Queen' to open the show. Fabulous. At least Prince Charles didn't sing when the family appeared on stage. That may have given HRH Queen Elizabeth an excuse to discipline her son in public. Quite an extraordinary person I think. I'm no fan of the monarchy, but this woman has lived through and participated on the world stage for most of her life. She has managed to survive the worst the 20th century could dish out. And done it with dignity and unselfishness throughout. Now that is something to celebrate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.