1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Upgrading a laptop?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Donovan Bane, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Donovan Bane Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This may be a dumb question, but is there anyway to upgrade the video card in a laptop? I need something faster.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Depends on the laptop/make, but generally it should be possible, though expensive. You should check with the place where you bought it from. (If upgrades are available.)

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I think upgrading a laptop means buying a new one.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] hmm, I was saving up to upgrade my laptop (I wanteda new video card and an external Hard Drive) but my mother thought it was pointless because it would be expensive, difficult and the laptop is broken anyway.

so now I'm focusing on saving up to finish paying off for the thing :sleep:

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Dude !
    Upgrading a laptop is no where like upgrading a desktop. Its really hard to do and expensive (at least what a friend of mine says). Even if you do get it, it would probbly have to be not the latest model of graphiscs card due to heating problems, etc.
    But yes a good and competent assembler will be able to do it, in my opinion.

6. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Really tricky; I only remember hearing about one company (think it might be Voodoo) where it is possible to upgrade the graphics card seperately.

If it's possible it will pbly be massively expensive...

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    3Dfx, the makers of Voodoo cards, went bust some 3 years ago, now. :D

8. Donovan Bane Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Thanks guys... I spent some time online and found out you can upgrade memory and hard disk size on a laptop but nowhere does it say you can upgrade the video chip (it's actually a chip in a laptop I found out)... especially since my computer maker is out of business.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Ah, if you have an onboard chip you can forget the idea of upgrading that in a laptop.

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've never heard of a laptop that didn't have "integrated" video.

Swapping out a CPU is possible, as long as the power supply can handle it. Not only the internal supply, mind you, but the external DC pak as well. Make sure you use some kind of thermal gel.

There is usually a couple of different hard disks and cdrom/dvdrom/burners that you can swap out. Many times you can pull the battery out and slap a hard disk in there for double the pleasure.

If you look carefully, there's usually just enough room to upgrade the system fan. Say, put a 40mm fan in there instead of the 30mm (or 20, in some cases). More airflow usually translates into more CPU power.

11. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Hah. A company actually named itself Voodoo... Must be because they're Canadian. As far as I know, nVidia still holds the trademark on the name Voodoo (since they bought 3Dfx), but I guess it only applies in USA.

How ironic that they install ATI's cards. :shake:

Btw, their website doesn't load for me. Could it be that they got sued over the name already? :p

13. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31

dunno, loads alright for me... very annoying website, makes lots of noise and i couldn't find out how to turn it off :mad:

You get a free tatoo if you order one in the next couple of weeks :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.