1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite food and traditional dishes

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Jarel, May 17, 2003.

1. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

No-one said steak? Why not. It rocks.
    A Medium steak (rump or rib fillet) done with scotch with a rich mushroom sauce served with chips and salad. Yum.

Baclava, I beleive it's Turkish, but it may be from Greece. Pastry with honey and pistaccio nuts, with a sort of fruit mince in it. Nice stuff. Get the good ones, as in, from a Deli. A REAL deli. Its nice.

Mi Goreng. Fried Noodles, essensially. Done with onions and egg. Indonesian, and can't be beaten. By anything.

Meat Pie with tomato sauce.

Anything made by my Uncles wife. She is the best cook on the face of the world. She can make eggplant and squash sound appealing.

@Shell
    Bacon!?!? Yuck. Pork?!?! Yuck. Pig flesh is generally disgusting. I can't think of anyway I can enjoy it. I can, as in, it's not against my religion or anything, but I find it disgusting.

Beef Stroganaugh (sp?). Beef strips fried and mixed with veges and then cream. With pasta. Nice.

Roast chicken, real, free range chicken. As in, from a farm, freshly killed.

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Oxymore. No! Not the "escargots à la provençale"!

I think I might campaign for snail rights! (Joke). I suppose that I am just not brave enough.

3. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well I like Chinese food (real ones too, not the take aways), except for the ones that contain insane amounts of mushrooms. But my cooking is heavily influenced by the Italians and French.

4. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

Chinese food is great, as long as its done by someone that knows what they're doing. Go to the local Yum Cha restaurant in China Town and you'll find out what I mean. However, if you go to takeaway and find yourself thirsty afterwards, don't go back. MSG is a killer.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Did anyone bash pork!??! Pork is the king of meats! Easily the best tasting and most versatile of meats. Beef always tastes likes beef, nothing wrong with that, beef is good. But with pork you can do so much more! Delicous bacon, succulent ham, tender fillet, sweet chops and spicy spareribs are just a tiny fragment of all the wonders of pork! I am shocked that anyone can not like that perfect meat.

6. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Pork = poison. It's a health hazard.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Khazraj: Support for that last statement, please? I think modern farming and hygiene have eliminated the special hazards of pork, so it's no more "poisonous" than any other meat... but if you're aware of something else, I'd like to hear about it.

@joacqin: I love "ethnic" pork dishes like Chinese BBQ pork, Mexican chili verde, or Jamaican jerk. The mildness of the pork lets the other aspects of the dish really shine.

8. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

Did anyone stop to wonder WHY the jewish and islamic people refuse to eat pork? Pigs are disgusting animals, to say the least. They wallow in filth and are known to eat it as well. Homemade filth, if you know what i mean. Current hygene stops this, of course, but any animal that would do that if it could is gross. Also, pork is the closest thing to human flesh apart from ape meat that can be found. If you read anyhting apart from fantasy (and even some fantasy books, such as George R R Martins A song of ice and fire mentions it), you will find that roasting flesh smells very akin to human. Pig foetus' are the closest thing to human foetus' (again, discluding apes) that can be found. Do you relish the idea of canibalism? Think of that next time you sit down to a meal of pork spare ribs.

And of course, it smells disgusting.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah! Super Bah! Pork is the king of meats. If you want to talk about poison so is chicken and birds in general alot more dangerous. Ever heard about salmonella?

Religous rules are just silly, even more so religious food rules. Probably some raving madman a few thousand years ago that was bit by a pig and then started a smearing campaign for the poor pigs. For instance so is their reputation as dirty 'pigs' highly exaggerated. I have never seen a pig eat exctrements but I have seen alot of dogs do it, think of that the next time Fido greets you by licking your face.
    As for the likeness the fact that the pigs physiology is so similar to our own is just an accident, they are not closer related to us than cows or deer. Even if they were why would that matter?

I still say, GO PORK!!! :D

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Speaking of which... MMMMmmmm...MMM! Just sat down yesterday to some BBQ pork ribs grilled myself on a charcoal fire. Plenty of leftovers for the rest of the week too! And I'll be thinking about the smell of roasting pig flesh each time I sit down to relish them! :) MMMmmm..mmm!

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I couldn't live in a world without bacon. I couldn't possibly pick a favorite food, though -- it all depends on my mood. I sure like the things that one can do with pasta, though.

12. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Bacon IS good... especially in Carbonnara, which is my fave pasta dish.

I also love everything spicy, such as Curry Chicken ( i know not if it has any other name) that originates from India.

I also like Chinese :)

Did someone say steak? Yummy! Steak IS good... *starts quoting Cypher but is shutted up by the goons*

As for regional dishes... i think I shall go with fish. Fresh vendace, covered in flour-stuff and friend in oil... yummy. or fresh brow trout, fried similarily, done into a sandwich with little cheese and fresh rye bread... *dies*

From a little more southern part of Finland, come the Karelian Pies. They're these little pie-thingies filled with rice-porridge... delicious. they look obscene, actually, but they are yummy!

13. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Pasta, pizza, lasagna and other stuff.

Well, we don't have any traditional dishes except for the usual pork, sauerkraut, potato combo. :)

14. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Oooh...Steak. BBQ'd ribs.

I love Mexican food, and Chinese is good, too.

But of them all, the best food for me is:

white rice. :)

15. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

hmmm... Being a Belgian, I'd have to go for rench fries. But I also love Salade Nicoise, a french salad with fish, tomatoes, oignons, mushrooms, salad, lots of olive oil, beans, etc... Anything Italian is very good too, with Pizza being the best!

16. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Jalapeno Burgers (mix in diced jalapeno with the ground meat), Mushroom-Onion Pizza, Tortellini, Chicken Quesadillas, and...

Celery.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Probably anything that's unhealthy and mates with coffee well.

Thus honey or caramel cakes of all kinds, tiramisu, doughnuts (esp. with Advocaat) and Prince Polo wafers in chocolate.

If it gets to some dinner, then Italian stuff, Mexican stuff and generally everything that's spicy and consists mostly of oregano.

Also Indian food - I just love salads with curry sauce, potatoes and some kind of other vegetables.

Chinese food too, if we're already being oriental, but I would never touch some Japanese raw fish.

Greek food so long as it's not as fatty as it generally tends to be, Spanish food if only I get some and Hungarian food - as far as I know anything about Hungarian food.

Under no condition would I try most of Polish traditional food, British food or French cuisine :rolleyes: Peace be to mint, garlic and frogs!

18. Jarel Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@Arabwel: the correct name for your favourite pasta dish is "Carbonara", and it should not be prepared with bacon, but with another part of pork's body that is called "guanciale", wich I really don't know how to translate.
    ;) :p :D

19. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Chevalier, Greek food is not too fatty. Besides, fat adds a better flavor to the food.

You, fellas, should taste some of my grandma's delicious pies.

20. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

If religious rules are silly, do you advocate murder, adultery and theft? There are reasons that religious rules were created, and it was not due to some religious bias against a violent porker. Religious rules set up the law and rules of lifestyle for thousands of people. It kept them safe and healthy. That is why Jewish people were circumsised, it reduces the chance of infection. That is why they were told not to murder. It was (and still is) considered an abhorrent act. That is why pork was forbidden to be eaten. It was a filthy animal that had the capability to kill when eaten.

@Joacqin
    Dogs eat their excretement. How many people do you see eating dog flesh? Would you consider eating a dog? Would you consider eating your parents? Think of this next time you sit down to a meal of BBQ pork ribs. Salmonella in birds is about as common as it is in any other meat. Do a search on google on the healthiness of pork. Be afraid of what you will find.

In summary, pork is the single most disgusting meat in the world. Even the idea of crackling can make me throw up. If pork isnt poison, it comes mighty close.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.