1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Linux v. Windows

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Belisarius, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] What's the difference between Linux and Windows as an O/S? Which do you think is better, and why? Please enlighten me...

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I know bugger all about linux, BUT I do know that you would have a problem playing a lot of your favourite games if you didn't have Windows.....

3. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Well that's all I needed to hear!

4. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That's very true. My mate runs Linux on one of his machines. As an OS, it's very stable. You need to be good with computers as you have to set most stuff up by hand (hardware) and i think it's helpful if you can write kernels and stuff.
    I don't really understand half the stuff he talks about when it comes to Linux, but then, i don't know much about programing and stuff.
    From what i gather, a lot of computing students use it, coz they can, and it doesn't ask annoying questions like Window$ does, like "Are you sure you want to delete that item?" No, i pressed delete to see a stupid message, numbnuts.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd say the main difference is ease of use and control.

Windows is very easy to use, and makes every attempt to hide things from you that it doesn't think you need to be mucking around with. Very good for someone who knows nothing and doesn't want to know anything about how it works. Because of this, it is often difficult for people who do know what they're doing to get it to do something that wasn't explicitly provided for.

Linux is more difficult (though the various distros are making it easier by providing GUI front ends for many things) to use because at the core it's all open for you to poke and prod at if you want, and just to get it to work right you usually need to do some poking and prodding. Very bad for someone who knows nothing about how it works, and doesn't want to know. For someone who knows a little and is interested in learning, there's wealth of information out there to learn, so it can be fun just to tinker with if you're in to that kind of thing, and because it all right there at your fingertips, you have greater control over what and how it does things.

6. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

BTA makes a good point. Linux is definitely the choice OS (or one of the other major UNIX derivitives for that matter, like BSD, etc.) for developers, and just people who want to have absolute control of their OS. Linux IMO is nice because of a few major things:

1. It's by far the most stable OS, I have yet to see it ever crash on me and I don't think it ever will.

2. It is *completely* customizable. If you're a coder, you can always alter, or entirely re-code any element of the software you like.

3. Being that it's open-source and freely distributable, all the software is free (and believe me there is an abundance of it). It's also very easily accessible for the most part.

4. There is a very strong community of people, and though some of them can be rabidly idealistic, most of them can be very helpful if you're in a pinch.

There's plenty of other reasons I could go into, but I'm trying to avoid ranting here. The fact is you choose the right OS for you. If what you mainly do on the computer is browsing, perhaps chatting, doing various office work, gaming, etc. then probably Windows is for you (at least at this point). If you want to perhaps get into programming or just want something to tinker with etc. or are intrigued by the ideals of open-source and such, along with the reasons I listed, then perhaps you ought to look into Linux. Simple as that.

However, I do wanna clear up a common misconception. Linux is not *only* for developers. There are plenty of people I know who just read a few texts, and don't know a lick of programming who use Linux very comfortably. It just depends on what you want and need. There are distributions of it these days that do most of the setup and configuration for you, and with 15 minutes of reading a few tutorials you can be competent to install them.

[ April 29, 2003, 19:18: Message edited by: enjan ]

7. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] So, what your saying is: If I am just a dumb lawyer interested in sending e-mails, downloading music, the occasionally nudey pic, and playing games...Linux probably isn't for me?

I barely have time to play games, so I don't think I'll be tinkering with the O/S...Thanks everyone for the input!

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Like i mentioned before, there is only one question you need to ask when deciding which is better,

Does this OS support all the current top ten most wanted games?
    1 - yes --> good OS
    2 - no --> piece of crap

9. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

WineX seems to be handling a lot of windows games very well, from what I've seen. Of course, you might have to wait a few months to have a new game running, but they're getting there :)

Having seen Diablo2 installed and run on a linux machine through use of winex, I am pretty impressed with it, despite the age of the game. Even multiplayer worked :D

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yes, WineX is crazy kind of compatible nowadays.

But Sir B has the right idea. If you aren't looking to fiddle around with it, or you don't have the time to fiddle, then it's not for you. You can do it, I'm not telling you not too. But like BTA was saying, you have to fiddle with it more times than not, just to do all the little mundane tasks that you take for granted in windows.

But I still like Mandrake. Even with all it's quirks.

11. outputrotation Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

My windows Xp is some good... =/

12. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Linux -> Good but hard-to-learn os.
    Good if you don't play games (the GUI install is easy)

Windows -> Crashing piece of crap, which (unfortunately) has all the good games.

If you play games -> Windows
    If you do not play games -> Linux

I got my Linux to crash 2 times in the first month, and then Windows Defrag destroyed my HD.

No more Linux for me, tho i miss AMOR (Amazing Misuse Of Resources)

13. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Now I've yet to see the various incarnations of Windows NT (that I've tested) crash, and my computer is on nearly 24/7 running Windows XP, so you might wanna include exactly what version of Windows you think is a "crashing piece of crap" there Taza. :)

Crashing windows is a thing of the past for me, at least.

14. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Listing:
    Windows 3.0
    Windows 3.1
    Windows 3.11
    Windows 95
    Windows NT
    Windows 98
    Windows 2000
    Windows ME
    Windows XP

And almost any other windows version :p

15. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Especially WinME.

I'm wishing i left a spare small partition on my disk last weekend (when i dualed with 98 and XP) so that i could install Linux as well. I'm not too good with programming and stuff and things, but it would be good to learn, and Linux would probably provide a good oportunity.

16. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Taza, I have trouble believing that Linux crashed, in all my years with it, I have NEVER seen this happen.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.