1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

This may be a noob question...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Balkan, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Balkan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What is the 18/** thing for strength, and is the number on the right better at higher or lower numbers or what? (checking manual if its there but asking here anyways)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yay. At least I am not the only person to have asked that question! I feel much better now. The higher the number the better. It's just a way for fighters who have 18 Strength to differentiate themselves. A fighter with 18/13 has better THAC0 / Damage than one with 17, but less than one with 18/95.

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

And remember kiddies, 18/00 means a 18-100, which is the best you can get without going to 19.

4. Balkan Gems: 1/31

I got to 18/02, so i proved u wrong!

Wait, would that count has 102 or 2?

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31

[​IMG] That wouldn't be a 102. It's a mere 18.02. You should just keep re-rolling till you get around a Minsc-level strength(mid-90's).

6. Balkan Gems: 1/31

Heh, pulled off a 18/00 Str, 18 Dex, 18 Con, 3/3 I/W and 16 Charm

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Wow, Min-Maxish.

8. Balkan Gems: 1/31

Im thinking about going Kensai/Thief :p With my favorite weapon, the Katana :p

9. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Mmmmmm, UAI...

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Aye...UAI indeed. You'd best be taking a few slots in Two Weapon Proficiency once you re-activate mate... :D

*ahem* Carsomyr +5 *ahem*

11. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually, *ahem* is used with Two-handed Weapon Proficiency, not Two Weapon Proficiency. :p

BTW, for all you n00bs, this is the SoA forum, so no UAI :p

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Who cares about high initial strength anyways. Once you clear the D'Arnise keep you have enough GP to buy the 19Str belt.

Or you could be HalfOrc.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, that is one the silliest aspects of BGII - the fact that starting strength is almost irrelevant due to a proliferation of strength enhancing devices, potions, and spells. I think strength items should give you +1 strength rather than a specific figure (e.g. 19) so that there is at least some incentive to spend points on that ability score.

14. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Starting strength isn't *entirely* irrelevant, since you can get it to a natural 19 or 20 if you play an evil character--one of the Hell Trials boosts your strength if you choose the evil path. And if you have a natural strength of 19 or 20, you can use your belt slot on a defense belt. But this would be a much better plan if the game had more useful options for filling the belt slot.

15. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Well, not to mention that if you have high STR, you can give the belt to a more deserving character, such as Keldorn, or Jahiera, or Haer'Dalis.

16. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Good point. As Scythesong would say, if you are going to play with Haer'Dalis, you should give him the first girdle you get--unless your PC is a Blade too. I know I always do.

17. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I forget which combination of mods I used, I think it was the rogue-rebalancing and Hell Trials, but my swashbuckler had a natural 22 at the very end of the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.