1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If you could take a medieval weapon of choice

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by casey, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Thais Paradox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

A Steel-Shod Quarterstaff. Iron-Shod sounds better, but not as useful. :cool:

If not that, then Dual Rapiers, because nothing says dangerous better than twirling blades :D

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I am sooo agreeing with this...

3. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

A dagger. Definitely a dagger. Why? Well, I can hide in a pocket and backstab far more effectively than a....say, halberd?

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'd rather carry around the Chirofen Armoury :grin: a wide selection of weapons of brilliance and less so.

I would so like a flail...

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

After a quick trip down to the forest with a saw, returning with an assortment of several different sized sticks (one looking like a left-handed golf club somehow), and a few fights with my brother, I have found that a spear is bloody annoying. Only women and Dalveen could possibly want to wield one of these, its just not manly enough ;) . So I'm gonna change my weapon of choice.

The two-handed sword and the Quarter-Staff were pretty formidable, but far too difficult to wield, and there was difficulty parrying with an axe.

Rapier (ha) was pitiful, it was too light to block any real slash, and was too easily parried, due to its light weight.

Two swords involved too much slashing, something I'm not to fond of, so they were quickly changed.

A sabre or a long sword (long sword preferably, because of the weight) with a hand axe (golf club) was pretty nice, but I kept slashing, making it easier to be blocked.

A shield, I found, was pretty handy for a quick rush, combined with a long or short sword to finish the job. Unfortunately, it was quite heavy, and I tired quickly from using it and so it slowed me down a fair bit, and with no armour, speed was needed.

Overall a single short-sword or a long-sword starting with a shield and ditching once it starts to drag you down, or when shield rushes are failing was much preffered.

Yes, I have far too much time on my hands, and yes, I am a loser :D

6. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] @teekc
    You'd have hell of a problem mastering that thing!

Dangerous for you more than others!
    Dual-wielding may look cool, but it may get you killed because of it. If you ever tried fighting with 2 weapons at once as oppossed to one blade you must know how much more difficult it is to control two. And if you're facing someone with a single blade, all he has to do is a twohanded swing that easily disarms you of both, as you cant control them well enough.
    If you disagree, just try to remember a historical figure (whoever) who fought with two weapons at once. Perhaps you'll find one, but there wasnt one army that had its soldiers dual-wielding.

Myself i prefer landing the first blow. That's why i never use axes or maces. They're just too slow. Sure if you hit things with it, the effect sure is impressive, but you'll find it hard to hit an unarmored man. In the Middle ages it was very useful because everyone fought in armor, thus greatly decreasing their ability to dodge blows. In such a case it is effective. And when you miss once, it takes a while before you can strike again, because the gravity is messing around with the chain.

hmm, i'm ranting

Before anything else i'd use a nice longbow to make my enemy a hedgehog, before he'd reach me.
    I like using a mixture between two-handed sword and a longsword. Not a bastard sword because they're way too heavy to strike fast. Something like a two-handed sword, with slightly reduced lenght, slimmer and sharp blade. As Meatdog said before usual twohanders werent use to slice, rather to break. My sword would be slicing.
    lemme see if i can get a decent picture of anything similiar.

This is quite similiar to what i'm talking about.

A nice flail. Other stuff is just fancy-to-be-put-on-the-wall-and-never-used. ;)

[ January 31, 2004, 18:05: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

7. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

That would be Myamoto Musashi, also known as "Kensei". He was a (possibly the) greatest swordmaster in 17th-century Japan. He invented the now-famous Katana-Wakisashi combination. He also authored the book "Go Rin No Sho", or "The Book of Five Rings". Worth a read.

As for myself, I'd go for a bastard sword. Nice and versatile, allowing for a two-handed grip when you need power, but can also be used in one hand when you need the other one free (or to use a shield or second weapon). And besides, it just looks plain cool.

8. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Why no one likes hammers?
    They are realy awsome weapons... give me a warhammer and you'll end up with a smashed skull :D

Or another really nice weapon: the sarissa(or longspear in D&D)... a 6 meters (about 18 feet I think) spear. The only problem is that it's huge and very uncomfortable to use...

[ February 01, 2004, 10:30: Message edited by: Volsung ]

9. Gothmog

Aye, Miyamoto Musashi is a great example.
    He was able to master it, but why? Because he dedicated his life to the way of the sword. I saw his brief bio somewhere on the net and it was always only about improving his skill.
    I think that shows well enough how difficult it is to master it. Anyone can swing two of them at once, but the problem is, they get killed in seconds :p

10. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Miyamoto Musashi was also a renowned craftsman, painter, calligrapher, sculptor, philosopher, and poet.

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd take a Nodachi. Can I use it? Heck no, I just think it's cool! Besides, the range and power would give me a great advantage over unexperienced combatants. ;)

If not that, then Naginata.

Either way, western weapons are too boring and casual. I believe a more uncommon weapon would give me an advantage once I'd trained to use it.

12. Cespypoo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Nah, give me two Katana +3's

Samurai stylings :)

13. Gothmog

Uh... that bio i read didnt say anything about that iirc.
    I guess i must read from different sources and be sure of it before stating stuff. :doh:

Sorry for misinforming.

14. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    17003 or 17016

I'd love to bend and pierce helmets!

Darn, bad links...
    I ment a mace and a two-handed hammer with a nice hook.

[ February 01, 2004, 23:54: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

15. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    In light of what Morningstar said, i would have to change my choice from a pot of boiling oil, which is only good in a siege, to a Halberd, because they look cool and any mounted knight wants to challenge me then there mince meat. Only annoying thing would be a shield wielding foot soldier, spears and Halberds are jsut to easy to block, but any 2handed wielding mad man would be dead within seconds, especially if they come charging at me, hehe, just lower halberd into a horizontal angle and they kill themselves on its end.

16. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

If I were a weapon,
    should I be a gun...

In medieval times? Definitely longbow - that was a killer. Or a sword, because these were very expensive - you could have a lot of booze for it. (Not like in BG, I suppose - a long sword 30 gp, one drink 5 gp)

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

A two-bladed sword, or a short sword with a pair of Nunchankus, as I loathe armor and love to use both my hands. Leaving one hand free just leads to some nasty buisness. ;)

18. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Excalibur

19. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Some light sword like a Scimitar, or a Rapier.

20. Thais Paradox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Gothmog; I stand corrected :D
    And thats a formidable looking sword you have linked there, by the way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.